Second run on new DH bike...

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by bing!, Jun 2, 2013.

1. zman

zman WTF ?

What shock you running ?
    and can you add air to the bottom out ?

What forks are you running ?
    I have the Fox 40 and ca NOT for any reason get braking bumps to smooth out
    i run only 2 or 3 clicks of rebound as if i add more the raking bumps get worse and i start getting a packing effect

2. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

There's some technique involved with dealing with braking bumps. As you you know, if you use the front brake over the bumps, it shifts your weight forward, further compressing your front suspension making the bumps really bad. If possible, try to stay off the brakes. I know, easier said than done! There is another technique, but it's not something that should be advised in open forums since it's bad for trails (no, nothing related to skidding). ;)

3. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I have found that most people interpret the RC2 compressions backward. High Speed compression refers to the quickness with which the fork is asked to react - meaning little successive bumps. Low speed compression refers to deep stroke (tee hee) travel such as brake dive and g-outs. Roll off your high speed compression almost entirely, and roll off your LSC until your fork is diving, then add in a few clicks.

That said, my 40 beats the hell out of me too, unless I run a softer spring - then it dives. I think the best cure would be a Marzocchi 888.

4. bing!

bing! Active Member

Yeah, my Fox 40 is older, with the non-inverted damper and smaller bladder. I run 7-9 clicks of rebound. 1-2 clicks of compression, hi and lo.

With whatever spring is on it now, it runs better wide open on the compression. Rebound helps calm down the front down on brake bumps.

At high speed, leaning heavily on the front wheel gets it tracking straighter at high speed. I feel that one step softer on the spring will bring my front lower giving me more steering authority and let it track the ground better for more traction.

The rear shock is a Vivid R2C. I'm blowing through travel in some sections, actually hitting the saddle with the rear tire. Also spiking with 4 clicks of compression over rocks 1-2 times per run. The rear feels great, but I'd like more support. I'm going to try the following:

1) Move up from 450-500 on the coil and run less LSC
    2) Use same coil and bump up the LSC (has caused a little spiking over rocks)
    3) Use same coil and install high tune shim stack for more support.

Going with 1 for starters. 3rd round of tests in 2 weeks

5. bing!

bing! Active Member

Installed new springs today. The purple up front went from 17% sag to 22%. I had to dial in from 0 to 3 LSC to compensate for brake dive. Left HSC on 1 click and will fiddle with it on the trail.

The rear went from 450 to 500, from 3-4 clicks of LSC to 0 clicks.

Testing is in 2 weeks. Very positive on how it will ride. Feels more balanced right now. This Vivid shock is a strange beast.

The beggining and ending stroke rebound is not the same as hi and lo speed rebound. I didn't realize that :( Beg. stroke controls the first inch of stroke, end rebound controls the last 2 inches. Fiddling with the beg. stroke affects the last inch of extension and sag, the end stroke is for most if the action.

UPDATE: called Intense. They HIGHLY recommend 35% sag. Despite my feeling that with a 450 spring, I'm already bottoming the shock, I ordered a 400 spring to test their rec. Also got a high tune shim stack just in case I feel like a little bit more dampening might help. No wonder trail bikes have air shocks. It's just so much easier tuning air.