Seat post makes clicking noise

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Garrett, May 4, 2010.

1. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

My seatpost lately has been making an extremely loud and obnoxious clicking noise whenever it is compressed on either the nose or rear. I've been trying to get rid of all the nasty noises my bike makes and this is the last remaining one that refuses to go away.

So far I've tried overhauling it by taking apart the clamp assembly and slathering it with grease, put it back together and the clicking is still there. Took it apart a few days later and all the grease was doing was attracting dirt, which is obviously not good. The click itself is not coming from the frame as far as I can tell, it is definitely coming from the seat post clamp.

Is there anything else I can do short of getting an all-new post?

2. NA1NSXR

NA1NSXR Member

What do you mean by 'slathering with grease' and how is the grease attracting dirt when its not even exposed?

Use a carbon installation compound (works with AL posts also) or anti-seize between the post and inside of the seattube in the clamping area.

Grease the inside of the clamp and the outside of the seattube in the area that the clamp fits over.

If it is not a QR clamp check clamping torque.

Wipe off excess.

For me personally, it was greasing the inside of the clamp and outside of the seattube that solved the issue in my case.

edit - also it may be worth checking the seatube and clamp inside and out for burrs or any protruding bits and sand them smooth.

3. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    It may well be that there is insufficient post in the frame and the clicking is coming from the seat collar bolting.

4. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I put a bunch (probably too much) grease in between any moving parts and wiped off as much excess as I could. Somehow dirt still got into it, probably my fault. I have a 2-bolt style clamp.

I greased the seat post as well, no luck, but I will try the clamp too. I was just examining things though and it feels like the source of the creak is where the seat tube is pressed into the saddle clamp assembly, but if greasing the clamp fixes that then I'm good.

Thanks for the tip!

5. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Im going to state the obvious

Have you verified its actually the post, not the seat itself????

6. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

yes, I've switched seats and the clicking is still there.

Keith, my bike has an interrupted seat tube and even with the post all the way down it still makes noise.

7. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Okay, Im going to ask the next most obvious question.......

Did you try a different seat post?

8. jcka

jcka Member

Mine did that, or so I thought. I had to lube the rails of the saddle where they attach to the saddle it's self. Towards the back of the saddle. Put a little lube on both rails and work into the saddle.

Once I did that the creaking stopped...

9. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Nope. :?: I guess thats the next step then, eh? :beer:

10. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Lube on the seat collar bolting is what I'm going with.

11. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    What kind of post is it? What kind of saddle do you have? When I worked in the shop certain posts would have creaking problems and the worst was the old Easton CT2 posts and certain Coda saddles would creak badly. You had to lube the rails regularly.

I would check for wear in the grooves sometimes you don't notice the grooves are wearing due to it not being tight enough.

12. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Yeah I would try a post... What post is it, is it a one peice? Or is it a two peice like most are... seen alot were the top part that is pressed in will creak, or were the carbon meets the alloy will creak..... Also seen creeking travel through a worn seat tube as well...

13. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Its not the seat clamp. While I was checking for any kind of branding on the post, I tried compressing the saddle while it was off the frame and it still clicks.

Can't find any indication of make or model on the seatpost. I'm guessing it is just whatever came with the bike (2003 specialized enduro). Saddle is Specialized branded and also came with the bike, though I just mounted it now. First thing my dad did with the bike when he bought it in '04 was switch saddles, so the stock one is brand new.

It is 2 piece and I think that the top pressed part is what is creaking. I can't find any other source.

14. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Sounds like its a ten to fifteen dollar Kalloy..... Most commonly sold post, sometimes they make noise........

15. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

In case anyone is still following this, I fixed the creak. I just put a few drops of triflow superior lubricant on the joint and a few drops of chain lube down the post itself, and the creak went away.

Now I'm pissed though because the top pressed part can actually rotate around the seat post. I guess I just can't win. :?:

16. uconn1150

uconn1150 New Member

HS Teacher
    I did the same thing last night with the same result! Weird...,:beer:

17. slacker

slacker Rides Again!!!

Wrench
    My guess would be that the bond between the shaft and the head of the post is starting to fail. It may not come apart but it can make noise as it flexes if that is the case. I would take a bit of flax seed oil(aprox. 5-10cc) and drip it in thru the bottom of the post and swirl it around a bit, keep the post uside down on a table or a clamp or such to let the oil set in, it would lubricate the surfaces rubbing and should help with the sound.

Your post is done, if it's under warrranty take it back to the shop. I had this happen about 2 months ago. Is it a carbon post with an aluminum head?

18. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I forgot to update this. I ended up pulling apart the shaft from the head of the post, grinding down the inner surface of the post and the outer surface of the shaft head, and filling the gaps in with JB-Weld along the inside and outside of the joint. It sure doesn't look pretty but its held strong for 2 months now. No noise, no issues with the weld, just a working (if ghetto) seatpost.