SC VELO INCYCLE Challenge

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by BFloFoxRider., Sep 30, 2007.

1. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    :lol:
    If you are racing Beginner, that is not nice...Beginners don't "race" top of the line bicycles:lol: or wear lycra:lol:...I thought you were the anti-sandbagger Chris??
    can I race Beginner too?:lol::beer:
    Justin, feel free to give him a little "Breaking Away" Sunday:lol:

2. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army

i beg to differ
    im racing for my first time and im sporting OCR colors on their lycra
    =P
    not to mention my bike weighs in about 35 pound giant ac
    so well see how it goes

3. mtnbikerdude87

mtnbikerdude87 Huh?

Should be a good race tomorrow! See everyone there. Look for a guy in a UC irvine jersey. ZOT ZOT!

4. BFloFoxRider.

Army
    i say STR gets the best results award.
    we had a few podiums

5. BFloFoxRider.

Army

i had the fastest lap in my class... 30 minutes 28 seconds. the next was 30 minutes 38 seconds
    i would have had fist if those problems wouldnt have occured #-o

6. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    No doubt, Pacing is huge. I did a 29:46 but my second lap was over 31min...

But it's a little harder on a singlespeed.

Hey it was nice chatting with you all. Thanks to Sharky, Roger, Denmother, Anne , DBR@OCR for coming out and cheering on. That was big time cool.

Good job out there. BFlo, big props for still making the podium despite the flat and the 35lb. AM rig. Justin 28min and change was fast lap.

Allison, Yo 1st and 2nd place is overrated anyways right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Pics

Here are a few pics. Had a great time and fun meeting new STR folks (missed out finding DavidB, Sean and Trung??) Of course I planted myself in the "vultures" section for photo op. Had a total of 15 crashes atleast on my camera. OUCH!! Cactus hurt bigtime!! You all did so great!! :)
    1:Brandon (BFloFoxRider) with Ceedubb on his tail, 2:Allison, 3: Jason (JfromLV) avoiding some carnage, 4: Jason, 5: Chris (CeeDubb)

Attached Files:

8. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Race Report!

We pulled up around 8, after picking up Luke (another racer who we'd met the day before locally training) and Melissa, our resident photographer and cheerleader. Nancy and Roger were so hardcore they were there at like 7:15!!

We got our # plates on and went back to the truck for final preparations.

"Where's the cooler?"

"What cooler? Didn't you put it in the truck?"

"No! I left it right by the gear bags! OMG! What are we going to drink?!"

THANKS to DenMother/Roger for their 2 MotorTabs bottles for me and a small Camelbak for Justin. Phew...

We went for a short warmup, before I turned around for some Chammy Butt'r. Up to the start line.

Justin and J pre-race

[​IMG]

Luke moving through the staging area to the start line

[​IMG]

Justin and J

[​IMG]

And, THEY'RE OFF!

[​IMG]

There's nothing quite like the start of an XC race. Everyone is off at 110% right away. I know I can't hang with that, but I tried. The one other sport female was next to me in the lineup, but I couldn't hold her pace. Basically everyone passed me. Including someone's grandma (just kidding). We got to the first little u-dip and everyone was stopping. The chick couldn't hold the climb, she was offer her bike. I stayed on mine, made up to the fire road.

She passed me again.

Then another sport female passed me. I continued on. Eventually about a mile later I noticed another Sport female right behind me. She eventually got me on another climb, and I practically killed myself to keep her in view.

Down a fire road descent I saw a bike and human tumble about 25 yards in front of me. It was the other female. I slowed way down and yelled to see if she was okay. No response. I pass, turn around and yell; nothing. She was listening to an iPod.

She did eventually catch back up on a climb, and proceeded to go really slow down the singletrack descent. I was on her rear tire for half of it, then let her go on the climb. I caught back up on the next little descent and we went neck and neck for the next rolling section before the final descent.

She went through the start/finish about 3 seconds or so ahead of me. I couldn't hold her climbing pace. She would just take off, then I'd catch back up on every descent.

I was starting to hurt pretty good. I tried to keep her in my sights, though. On the second lap I passed her while on the singletrack. Called out and blasted down her right side. Passed a few others and was on my way. She caught back up on a climb again, and we went neck and neck for a bit. She pulled away. I thought maybe it was over for me, but she crashed again on the last loose descent above the finish line. I took off without looking back. She had also been having massive drivetrain issues (ghost shifting, I didn't think her r. derailleur was gonna hold up).

I didn't see her again for awhile, but knew she was back there. I kept looking back; nothing. I did see her a little less than halfway through the last lap, about 2 turns back. Phew. I turned up the heat and pedaled away. Didn't see her again the rest of the lap, but I hammered everywhere I could, and totally rocked the descents.

At one point I was meandering along a slight incline and finally went, "Why am I going so slow? THIS IS A RACE!!"

I had to yell at myself 2 climbs from the finish to keep going.

"One more climb! One more climb. one.more.climb..."

Justin had joined Nancy, Roger, Melissa, and Sharky on the hairy turn. Heard them all cheering.

Ann greeted me at the finish, along with Brandon and Kevin.

THANKS so much to everyone that cheered (whether I knew you or not). It so helps to have someone there just clapping or whistling, and especially hearing your name.

I ended up with 3rd. Nearly 20 mins behind 1st (she wasn't fast or anything). But, podium was sweet. I took home $25!!

Here's a few more photos Melissa took:

[​IMG]

Oops

[​IMG]

Watch out for those cacti!

[​IMG]

Justin going through the transition

[​IMG]

Here I come

[​IMG]

DYING

[​IMG]

Just a few turns from the finish!!

[​IMG]

Phew, we're done

[​IMG]

Bflo leaving the podium

[​IMG]

3rd

[​IMG]

9. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

More pics

1: Brandon (BFloFoxRider) 2:Carl (Pho'd Up) 3: Justin (Mechman) 4: Justin at the top heading down

Attached Files:

10. BFloFoxRider.

Army
    now this pic has CONCENTRATION written all over it :D

Attached Files:

11. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Did I mention how bad that cactus hurts!! We were pulling needles out of a few riders at this spot. I have total 15 crash shots here at this spot atleast. Pics don't do it justice but was steep and loose. (The guy in the 1st shot came in first)

Attached Files:

12. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Holy carp, Chris!! Those crash pics are insane!!

hahaha!!

13. BFloFoxRider.

Army

that guy engulphed in dust is the guy we saw yesterday on the Sweet '07 stumpy that weighs 22 lbs
    im guessing he tried to ride down it??

14. davidB

davidB Active Member

holy crap those look like it hurt

my brother crashed there too but not in the cactus, apparently he wasn't the only one. Some of those make me cringe

Finished 10th out of 15 in the beginner 19-29 and had some horrible back pain during the race. Not sure what happened. I clearly wasn't up to par today, but even par wouldn't have put me on the podium. The guys that won beginner put up some good times

Overall, good times today. :) Unfortunately once you hit dirt after the paved road it bunched up real bad (in beginner at least) and people had to get off their bikes and walk. That set me back faaaaaaaar. :(

15. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    Are you sure it's not CONSTIPATION?

I was in front of Justin for a very short time, so I made it count by giving him some entertainment. It was great not only racing today, but hanging with the peeps afterwards as well. DavidB, you should have come over to say :wave:.

16. BFloFoxRider.

Army
    umm i dont think thats what that look is? :-s :-k

oh wait i know its not the look of constipation because i took my coache's advice and took a dump before the race :bang:

17. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    Good job young one, you are learning well. I don't think I was officially your coach today, but I know I've set a good example in the past of making the most of your pit stops.

18. BFloFoxRider.

Army
    yep youve been my coach too
    DDB@OCR has really mostly been my xc coach though
    well you were too but he put so much effort in for me
    he drove out from like an hour away to prep my bike and whatnot and payed for my expenses this weekend 8-[

19. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

All the pics...

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/dirthippie/SCVELO%20race%20Bonelli%2010-7-07/

Here's a link to the rest of the photos. Videos of the start and cactus area.
    DavidB...if you or your bro are in there post up so we can see?:wave:

1: Justin/Jason/Allison (Mechman/JfromLV/Allison)
    2:Carl/Chris (Pho'dUp/CeeDubb)
    3:STR crew chillin'
    4:Brandon 3rd (BFlowFoxRider) Awesome couldn't be prouder!!
    5:Brandon (B-Rad) pouting cause they wouldn't let him do the kids race!! j/k

Attached Files:

20. DDB@OCR

DDB@OCR New Member

That’s my boy!

Got out to his place around noon on Sat and Sharky met us at the park for a pre-ride.

I knew right away he was going to score, as I watched him hammer the climbs, one after another, on a 1x9, 35+lb barge. Sharky and I just kind of looked at each other. I mean……lmao! :bang:

We had a great little play ride, talked about strategy and pinch points etc., then headed back to his grandparents for dinner and some wrenching.

The front upper and lower chain guides were falling off, doh!#-o
    We also yanked the hides off the hoops that almost dwarfed the ones on my CR250 and installed some Mythos and lighter tubes. Got the sticky links outta the chain, glued a garfed hand-grip back on, screwed some preload into the rear coil and it was ready to go. Easily the heaviest bike out there but at least it will roll a little easier and it’s about 4-5lbs lighter.

Sharky also loaned us a quick-fill and some cartridges, so we made a tire-fix kit out of it, a tube, two levers, and taped it all together for a nice little package for the rear jersey pocket. Turned out it was needed, thanks Sharky for the loaner!

Then we chowed down big time courtesy of his Grandpeeps- Tri-tip and XX’s on tap anyone? *chomp, gulp!*

Woke up to a flat on the rear of his bike…..hmmmm- an Omen?…. I’m thinking practical joke by-you-know-who. But either or, we swap it out and off we go.

The rest is history and the boy did very well, hammering like a maniac the whole time.

I could not be more proud of his efforts and results.

He was truly tested and he rose to the occasion, kept his cool and performed.

His first XC race, on the heaviest bike at the track (by a LOT), got a flat to boot and still made the podium. (3/9)

Wow! :clap:

I see good things coming down the road for this one. I’m forwarding his results and pics in OCR colors to my team manager as well.

Excellent job, young man.

Excellent job.

P/s…… it was really nice to finally put some faces to the names here. Very nice meeting you all.
    STR was well represented in the field and on the podium.