Saturday Road Ride: 7:00am

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by S54MCoupe, May 3, 2007.

1. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

This is a weekly ride that starts at 7:00am at Montrose Bike Shop. It goes from the shop and heads up Angeles Crest Hwy. There are three regrouping points: Clear Creek, Red Box and Mt. Wilson. I am going to skip the climb to Wilson and head over to where Hwy. 39 meets the crest. It's going to be approximatly 88 miles (round trip) give or take a few miles.

The ride will NOT happen if it's cold out. There are parts where the elevation hits close to 7,000ft., so if it's cold at the bottom, it's gonna be freezing at the top.

I'm not planning on hauling ass, just putting on some base miles. Would anyone be down to join me? Not nessicarily this week, but in the future? It would be nice to have someone who was up for just putting on some fun base miles at tempo. It gets pretty lonely up there, haha.

Any takers for future rides?

2. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Not this weekend, but I'm interested. That Montrose ride is a lot faster then I like to go. I've never seen such a large group of riders who are all so fast. You really got to have young legs to hang with them. You'll be fine, but I'd be dropping off the back for sure. Still I'll give it a shot.

3. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    I'm in but not this sunday...I desperately need some road miles!

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    FYI: Top of Mt. Wilson is below 6,000ft. I spend alot of time up there riding and the cold will not be a problem this time of the year. Here is a link to the Mt. Wilson Web Camera...you can check out the weather before you leave.

Neil, you have me confused, it is a Road Ride.

Dean

5. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Ouch! I thought you knew I was a, how does Jose so lovingly put it?, "dirt" roadie:bang: :lol:

6. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

I'm not talking about the actual Montrose ride (which is a badass ride) The ride I am talking about is just a few guys who ride Saturday morning before work. We'll have company up until Redbox, when everyone heads up to Wilson and we countinue further up the crest.

Hey Dean, I am going to skip the climb to Wilson (I think I mentioned that in the first post) and head further up the crest. A few miles after Newcombs ranch we hit around 7,050ft. I was up around 6,200ft. a few days ago and it started getting a little bit chilly.

I love climbing to Wilson, but it gets boring, and I'm sick of how many rocks tend to be on Red Box Rd. I've found that just going further up the crest is a lot more fun, and there are some awesome climbs mixed in there.

EDIT: There is another spot, about 45 miles from the Shell Station, where the elevtation hits almost 8,000ft. I am pretty sure that's the highest elevation on Angeles Crest Highway.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  7. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Jesse how was the ride?

I did a short (20 mile) road ride on saturday morning rather than ride Chantry alone. It was nice to get out, the weather was perfect. I did three loops around the Bowl and then headed up in the hills (Lida St, Chevy Chase, St. Katherine, Inverness, back to Bowl).

This morning I did another last minute ride. This time I finally road over to Griffith. I took Colorado, to Glendale, to Los Felix, to Griffith Dr, up Mt Hollywood Dr. to the Observatory. The ride was really nice. About 24 miles. The views from the observatory were amazing today. Some of the best views of the city I've seen in a while.

8. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

I didn't go this Saturday, I ended up riding around Downtown all night. A buddy of mine won the sprint races they had on the 6th street bridge. I was going to do the Crest, but I wanted to save my legs for the night ride.

My mileage this week was only around 150, so I'll bump it up a bit for next week. If you ever want to go riding, call me up!