Santiago Oaks Regional Park - Robbers Peak Closure

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by patro, Jul 28, 2010.

1. melster

melster Member

Software
    I just rode there Saturday morning.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42633006

I don't remember seeing any private property signage, so looking at that track, dirtvert, does it look like we went into private property?

2. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    That is really going to make chutes, well kind of boring. I don't know about you, but I like to carry speed down chutes. Having to worry about people crossing sections of the trail really takes the fun out of it. I guess the ridge will still be ok, but uphill traffic will probably pick up as well.

3. SlowButSteady*

SlowButSteady* New Member

I also rode this on Saturday and never saw any signs...lots of hikers and horses...going all the way to the playground...
    Im sad to hear this... that a fun little loop....

4. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    that would be sweet.

5. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    crap, you're right, riding down on a busy weekend when climbers are crisscrossing would suck. good thing my days off are weekdays!

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Not really.......it is not an issue going up/down Goat/Waterfall.

7. patro

patro New Member

The revised map on the Santiago Oaks website (http://www.ocparks.com/santiagooaks/) isn't quite correct. It doesn't show the legal connector trail between the top of Oak Trail (the 3B's) and Yucca Ridge & Anaheim Hills trails. Even with the closure of Robbers Peak, you can do a good loop up Oak, over to Yucca Ridge or over to Anaheim Hills and down Barham Ridge / Zips / Chutes.

Yeah, the trail work on Chutes is starting, I'll post another thread with info I received from the park ranger.

8. Winger

Winger Member

Any updates on the trail work? I rode last night and part of chutes was re-routed, but I could still ride the advanced stuff.

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope they leave it technical. I'm nervous they are going to try to make it useable for all.

9. Rollnstone

Rollnstone ...

I talked to a guy that I was racing with at OTH last Tuesday. He is assisting with the trail work. He said the plan is to leave the part of Chutes that goes along the ridge (with all the technical stuff) intact. A new trail will come down the hill to the left (if you are at the top looking down). It will be similar to Goat in that it will be smooth and not too steep, so all trail users will have an easy way up or down. He said they will be fixing up the existing Chutes trail which needs some TLC, especially in the lower areas.

10. Canyonguy

Canyonguy New Member

Teacher
    Yep- I was there today- What ever happened to prescriptive use?

My guess it will stay closed -to bad what a bitch!

11. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    the good news: the park is fairly small, so the additional chutes trail will make it possible to go back up and drop it again without dodging the downhill riders.

12. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC
    I ride this trail at least once a week morning during the week. Actually was planning on riding it tomorrow morning before work. Haven't been up the 3B in a couple weeks, it was open last time I rode. I've taking goat up and go down chutes and then back to Santiago Oaks Parking lot.

That sucks that we can't ride up to robbers anymore. I liked taking a small break at the top after riding up the b's to enjoy the view before bombing back down.

Can't wait to see what Chutes will look like when done. Looks like they are adding more trails in though. I've noticed a lot more loose dirt on the trails these past couple off weeks that should get padded down with time.

13. MacGuyVer

MacGuyVer Member.. You Member

that's a total bummer, I really enjoyed some of the features found off Edition Ridge :(

14. d'man

d'man Dirt Lover

Certified Financial Planner
    Update

Has anyone been to the Oaks recently and can provide a update? I am planning an after work ride with some friends next week and figure we will need to head right at the 3rd B (Oak Trail) towards Yucca and up Anita's (Anaheim Hills) to get over to Barham Ridge.

Also, anyone know what things are like on Blair Witch (singletrack on the dam side through the cottonwoods)? Since they are letting water out of the dam, I didn't know if they were still covered with water, muddy or ridable.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2010
  15. Rollnstone

Rollnstone ...

d'man - I was at Oaks last weekend. You are correct to head right at the 3'rd B and make that wonderful climb up Anaheim Hills (Anita's). It is a little loose going down to Anita's but climbing is good except for one steep turn (very loose).

I think there is still too much water on the Irvine Park side of the Dam. I didn't go in there last week, but 2 weeks ago it was still a large lake (and lots of bugs to bite you).

Everything else is good...well, as good as its gets in our dry, Summer weather.

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Skip the 3rd B all together. Go up to top of secod and go left on Bumblebee over to Goat and up to Barham Ridge.....way easier climb than Anitas Dip.

If you want the extra climbing....go up to the gate atthe 3rd B hang a right and go down Yucca Ridge....this will take you down to the bottom of Bumblebee, then climb up Goat, etc.

As far a the Willows are concerned, the water has receded, but the ground is way too saturated....think ankle to shin deep mud. Some of the little trails are ridable, but you cannot ride all the way through.

17. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I'd be interested to see a follow-up some months down the line to see if the homeowners got what they wished for.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the loss of law-abiding park users going through the area might not actually lead to an increase in vandalism, etc. up there.

18. XcShane

XcShane Member

I ride Santiago Oaks/Chutes all the time and I'm not to thrilled with having to go up Anaheim Hills to get to Barham Ridge. It's way too soft. If it firmed up, it would be better but still. At this point, it's the only way to get the closet to the top of the 3rd "B" to start your chutes run like you normally would. Like someone said, it was nice to stop at the top of the 3rd "B" if you wished.

Obviously this is what we have to do now but is there any word on when Coachwhip will be done? An alternative could be going down to Bumble Bee or down Yucca - either one - to Coachwhip and then head up. That'll put you on Barham Ridge just past Anaheim hills and would set you up nicely to start your descent. Just another alternative I guess.

Besides the recent signs of closure, I love what's been done to the park. Overall, it's really been improved.

19. patro

patro New Member

After we get some rain this fall and there's a bit of moisture in the soil...
    The New Chutes Trail will get its finishing touches.
    The Old Chutes Trail will be stabilized and a few mountain bike features will be added.
    Cactus Canyon will get its finishing touches as well.

I miss riding Coachwhip. It is on the list of things to do at the park, but it will come after this other work.

Good things are happening at the park, come on out and ride it!

20. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Is there a newer/current (or at least mark up an old one) trail system map for the changes in Santiago? For those of us that don't get there often and my have to ride solo due to ride times or notice.