Santiago Oaks parking situation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AKmoney, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    I apologize if this has already been posted but it appears as if the Albertson's parking lot at Jamboree/Chapman has become a bit less accommodating.

Attached Files:

2. UEDan

UEDan Member

IT Tech
    That looks new ='(
    Well that sucks... thanks for the tip. Time to look for a new parking spot =/

3. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    thnx for the update...parked there two weeks ago..didn't see the sign...

4. Gary IFF

Gary IFF Member

Its not so much the cyclists, but on weekends that parking lot gets full of families headed to Irvine Park. There's not enough parking there and alot of people want to save money by schlepping the coolers. It has been getting even more crowded over the years, bound to happen. Bummer for us, but hard to blame them because having that parking aint cheap.

5. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    is parking at the JC possible on the weekends?

edit: if this is an April's Fools joke.... you f'n got me... got me good. :lol:

6. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    Just pay the $3 and park in the actual park. OR better pay $50 and get a county parking pass and you can park in Irvine park, Peters canyon, Oaks, and lots more -for free. Well free after paying $50. This is an easy and cheap way to support the parks and honestly pretty convenient. The actual park at the base of oaks is really beautiful and its the best place to start your ride - you are half mile from goat - instead of riding a mile or two from Albertsons. I like parking there better than parking near the school as well because all your rides will end with a great downhill where at Serrano near the school you have to pretty much climb out.

7. g-dub

g-dub Member

Nice Punctuation on that sign

Tow's R Russ? Really? I mean, maybe Tows "R" Russ, but come on...

Sorry, bad punctuation is my pet peeve.

Easter is coming, and with it the annual insanity at Irvine Park. Looks like the shopping center is planning ahead. Or maybe the owners of the new store in front of the traditional parking area decided they needed the space. That store's been essentially empty for 10 years, so up until now there's been nobody to complain. I'm sure Taco Bell never minded the traffic.

8. ridetillitburns

ridetillitburns Member

Acupuncturist
    Santiago parking

Guess I wont be meeting at the taco bell parking lot anymore...

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Guess it just gives me one more reason to ride from home instead.

Nor will I be giving any business to any of re establishments up there anymore. I will go elsewhere for food, grocery & gas.

10. g-dub

g-dub Member

It's possible these signs will go away after Easter. That's what's happened the last couple of years. Since I ride from home anyway (I'm 2 blocks from the Albertsons), it's not affecting me any, but I don't like this--I'll be upset if Ridge Park gets shut down someday at El Moro.

A couple alternates: street parking in front of Santiago Hills Park (not a good option on weekend afternoons), the Taco Tuesday lot (much smaller lot though), Old Camp Road by Peters. Note that these areas are already close to full many times of the day.

Just don't park on my lawn :)

11. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Nevermind......just realized it was April 1st.

13. mxvet

mxvet New Member

If true, this is stupid...That lot is huge and those businesses benefit from us parking there. I know during the holidays they enforce it bcuz of the people walking to the park, but non-holidays is just stupid. hopefully its an april fools joke.

14. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

If I owned that lot, I would sell passes to mtn bikers for $20 a year. Russ could tow away the rest. Problem solved, all parties happy.

15. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

(2) The vehicle has been issued a notice of parking violation, and 96 hours have elapsed since the issuance of that notice.

It this correct? It doesn't take me that long to do a loop thru peter's canyon.

(I'm hoping this is just an April's fool joke)

Update: someone below pointed out that this is just 1 of many reasons you can be towed.

16. Winger

Winger Member

Pay $50 to park for free. Awesome.

I pay for my park use many times over...via taxes. $50 is outrageous, especially considering it only pays for 1 of 3 types of trails (OC, CA, National Parks). Buying all 3 is nearly $200/yr, not to mention the hassle of remembering to switch the pass to the car being used, and hope all your buddies have passes. Life is just easier parking for free and riding to the trailhead.

This parking lot thing sucks, but is probably expected. Everyone will just start parking in the streets of the close neighborhoods.

Good try...but in the section above it says: "under any of the following circumstances:" We'd be covered under (1).

Removal From Private Property

22658. (a) The owner or person in lawful possession of private property, including an association of a common interest development as defined in Section 1351 of the Civil Code, may cause the removal of a vehicle parked on the property to a storage facility that meets the requirements of subdivision (n) under any of the following circumstances:

(1) There is displayed, in plain view at all entrances to the property, a sign not less than 17 inches by 22 inches in size, with lettering not less than one inch in height, prohibiting public parking and indicating that vehicles will be removed at the owner’s expense, and containing the telephone number of the local traffic law enforcement agency and the name and telephone number of each towing company that is a party to a written general towing authorization agreement with the owner or person in lawful possession of the property. The sign may also indicate that a citation may also be issued for the violation.

(2) The vehicle has been issued a notice of parking violation, and 96 hours have elapsed since the issuance of that notice.

17. scsurfer

scsurfer New Member

Before your ride go in albertsons and buy your water/bar. Save
    The receipt and u r a customer. That should slove the problem?

18. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    Dude - You are always complaining about things on STR - from complaining over and over about how bad the new trails at oaks are --- to having to pay for parking at a county park. Your taxes dont go far in the county - most go federal and then to the state, then to the poorer counties then finally to counties like OC. Even our property taxes FIRST go to the state and then dont go completely back to Orange county. But I do agree we already pay a lot of taxes - i pay a LOT of taxes. It is what it is though and OC parks truly are last in line for tax revenue. Finally, it should not bother you much because you have mentioned many times over and over about how you dont like the new trails at the oaks anyways

19. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

Present that to the tow yard attendant and see what that gets you. Luckily you'll have your bike, and maybe you can ride there.

Print this out, and keep it with you.

http://bit.ly/gTwcV1

20. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC
    I just pay the 50 bucks for the yearly pass park inside. Good thing is you never have to deal with the intersection at chapman/jamboree which could get pretty busy sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.