Road Ride Report Santa Barbara to Irvine

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Rob, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    What an awesome ride, although very similar to the same trip I did last year, each time I do this I see new things and have different experiences and meet new people.

Saturday night I finished up loading the bike, which including installing a rear rack after deciding not to use a backpack and deciding not to attach the compression bag to my bars.

This trip I brought my one person tent, and left the rainfly and ground sheet. Just the poles which were attached to the rear rack and the stakes which got wrapped with the tent body. I wrapped the tent body around my Big Agnes Sleeping pad. Then packed that into the compression bag. On top of that went a camp pillow, and then the Lafuma 40deg bag. It all fit into a size small Sea to Summit eVent compression bag which was attached to the rack using three buckle straps.

I ordered a Jannd frame bag which turned out perfect to hold my cable lock, Topeak Road Morph G pump, and some other stuff likecell phone and charger which also charges my Garmin, and some bonkbreakers and clif bars and gels.

I also put a Nathan made bento box on which held my camera and more food.

I brought a plain white shirt and boxers to sleep in and a pair of shorts to wear while at camp.

Sunday morning I got to the train station and paid for my ticket, 34 dollars. Todays train wasn't the normal train with bike racks so I had to bring my bike to the baggage car.

The train trip was relaxing and I got to take a few short naps. I also watched some MTB vids on the Ipod and talked to one lady about my trip.

When I get to the train station in Santa Barbara another lady at the train station was very interested in how my bike was packed and what I was doing, she even took some pics of the bike.

I headed off to there to find some food. I ended up at Aldos Italian Restaurant and ordered some eggs over focaccia and a Stella.

Lazily I cruised State street back to PCH and started down the coast.

The weather was perfect, the wind was at my back and it felt like most of the day was cruising downhill. Not sure if my 705 wasn't working right or not, but for the first 50 miles or so it said I only climbed ~300 ft. It felt like it too.

I got to Leo Carrillo State Beach around 6 after eating at Neptunes Cafe. The place was packed with bikers, but I was the only one there without a gas motor on the bike.

After eating I went across the street to check out the Kite Surfing. I definitely want to get one of these, I'll have to grab one next time they pop up on Steep and Cheap.

Rolled over to the Hiker-Biker campsite and saw there was another bike tourist there. Tim had came from Seattle and was headed to the Mexico border. He was on an old Nishiki with a front tire that had literally been shred to pieces. He was low on cash so I offered to help him out and buy him a tire, but he refused my offer and said he'd be alright. :?: I hope he made it ok, he left before I did in the morning and I didn't see him or pass him the rest of the day.

That morning I slept in late, and finally got packed and headed out from the really nice hiker biker site around 10 AM. I foolishly didn't fill up my water, hoping for a resturaunt or something up the road. After a few miles went by and I was out of water I saw one of many Roach Coaches pulled over on the side of the road and got some drinks and Peanut M&M's.

After checking out Point Dume, I let the 705 direct me back to PCH and then continued along. Eventually I end up on the boardwalk in Santa Monica and Venice and get some more grub and charge the garmin a bit and my phone.

Get to Redondo Beach pier and ate some more :D Ice Cream was needed...

Then the fun part began. The ride to and through Long Beach. I let the 705 take over for directions from Redondo beach to Long Beach and it took me on some neighboorhood roads avaoiding some of the traffic, but eventually, I was riding in traffic on PCH. I made it to downtown LB and made my way over to Ocean Ave, and then made my way to Seal Beach where I stop at a Bike shop for more gels and to use their pump, looks like my back tire was loosing air. I'd later have to thrown in a tube in Newport Beach.

I decided to take Jamboree to University back to the Irvine spectrum where I finsihed the ride. Ended up with 70 miles the first day and 110 miles on the second day.

Attached Files:

2. Rob

Rob Active Member

More pics...

Attached Files:

3. Rob

Rob Active Member

Last of the pics.

Attached Files:

4. chevrolegs

chevrolegs Active Member

Nice RR. That looks like something I need to do one of these days!

5. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    The part of that ride between Redondo and Long Beach is the worst section of road for cyclists on the entire trip down the Calif coast. If they would allow cyclist to use the Vincent St. Thomas bridge it could be completely avoided.
    BTW - I think I ran into that same guy at Leo Carillo a couple of years ago. I think he lives there.
    Congrats on a great ride.

6. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    How did you like that Jandd frame pack? Was it easy to access while riding?

7. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    Great ride report, dont let Chewy, David or Jay know I am in this forum. If you are gonna road ride, tour. What a great trip.

8. Rob

Rob Active Member

Yeah it worked out really well. And for the price, it was a no brainer. The zippers appear to be of good quality. There's a main compartment on the right and on the left is a thinner compartment the size of the bag that's good for holding the cell phone and anything else that's slim like gels or a wallet.

9. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Sick ride Rob!

busted!

10. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    Get back to work #-o

11. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

That's a great report Rob! Sounds like you had a really fun adventure. :clap:

Some day I'd like to do more longer-distance treks. Although I don't ride my Tricross much these days, I'll keep it for when I do.

12. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Sold, I'm getting one.

13. Dizle

Dizle Gear Masher

Professional Student
    So cool! Once I get a bike with gears I could do something like this. Love the pictures of the sabots, learned to sail on them in Santa Barbara when I was a young (er) lad! Nice RR

14. Rob

Rob Active Member

Thinking about doing this again soon if anyone is interested...

15. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Can't believe I missed this RR until now.

Great trip!

Thanks for sharing the fun.

I would be interested in this type of trip, but I don't think I could the mileage you do.

Some day, but not now.

16. rustin

rustin _

Nice ride. I really want to start touring and I found your RR helpful. What gearing did you run? What did you eat when you were camping?

When are you planning on going? I was considering doing something in the summer and I'd be interested in doing the ride you did.

17. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I'm interested Rob, when do you plan to do it again?

18. Rob

Rob Active Member

Rustin, i ate out for every meal. Right before the campground is Neptunes Seafood, so I ate there for dinner. I only brought the bare minimum to camp comfortably. If I was doing a longer tour it would be handled differently, using an alcohol stove.

Mike, my schedule is usually Sundays and Mondays off and I'm open on when to do it. I really would like some company on the next ride so I'll go whenever anyone wants to as long as it's on a Sunday and Monday.

Let me know when you can do it. As long as no rain is forecast I'll go.

19. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Nice RR.

I've got a family wedding in SB this June so I thought Id do the ride a few times to get it squared away before I roll up there for the event.

I plan on going straight through in one day so maybe I could jump in with you on one of your rides as far as you go.

Question: I'll be leaving from Newport Beach and I figure about 130 miles if I go straight up the coast. That sound about right to you?

Thanks.

20. Rob

Rob Active Member

I run a 42/53 with a 12-27 in the back.

I like to do it North to South because of the tailwinds, plus you get to have the ocean to your right, instead of it being across the street.

It's definitely longer than 130 miles. Closer to 160 the whole length.