Santa Ana's trail conditions(BS, Harding/MS/HJ/Trabuco/WHT, etc..,) >Updated 01-18-15

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Matt in Temecula, Mar 31, 2012.

1. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Unfortunately one of our favorite Loops ... Maple Springs to Motorway is closed right now as part of the Fire closure :(

But you should definitely do the Holy Jims when ready and the Loop over to Trabuco, keep an eye out somebody does that nearly every week

2. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

1/10/15

Thanks to whoever cleared the creek bottom section of Holy Jim today. The walking detours that dcrfx describes in post 237 are gone. One spot still has a tree to step over, but I surmise it won't last.

ATVANDUDE, The Path Live Oak has rides in the Santa Anas most Sundays. Or keep eyes open here and imtbtrails.com for rides posted. Its going off out there, get psyched...

3. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Anyone been on Joplin since the New Year Eve storm? Wondering if it is ride-able/passable.. Allot of old Oaks on portions of that trail could have come down I suppose.

4. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    WE ground up Harding to the Peak and Back... getting some work in. Pretty good shape, still tacky in a number of areas.

Coming down isn't stupendous but I try to treat it like a single be disciplined on my line, also work on my high speed sweeping turn and I will tell you if you want to work on your small air there is probably 40+ on those Big Water bars / bumps I was catching plenty of air.. straight line, Cross Right, Cross Left, Cross into Turns ... that is a lot of fun... BUT you want to keep an eye out because there was some pretty good size rocks in the trail that came down from the rains that I would not want to run into.

5. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Rode up Harding and down HJ....agree with Vader that Harding is in good shape, some rockfall, but nothing significant. Still some trace snow on final shaded climb to the peak. Upper HJ is more rutted than usual. A lot of the larger embedded rocks and bricks that helped stabilize the trail have come loose and moved 10-15 feet. Lower HJ to the Waterfall split is in excellent condition. Below the waterfall split most of the canopy failure is no longer blocking the trail, but there are still some re-routes and a lot of debris. It's also fully sunlit now. Go slow...and appreciate what a foot of wet snow can do to a forest that has never seen it.

6. mytrustysteed

mytrustysteed Middle...the new granny

I did the same route Saturday. I bypassed upper Jim this time just knowing it would be torn up. So, the USFS website map shows 4 corners is not included in the trail closure area so you can connect Harding with the Main Divide heading towards Modjeska peak. Do you think that "Area Closed" sign at the top of Harding is deceiving?

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

If you look at the map or read the closure....it is pretty clear what is closed.

Maple Springs to 4 Corners gate to gate
    Main Divide: Bedford Rd to Eagle Rd

MAin Divide is open from 4 Corners to Bedford Rd.
    Harding to 4 Corners and up to the Santiago Peak and beyond is open.

8. mytrustysteed

mytrustysteed Middle...the new granny

Thanks, that's how I read it too, but when you reach the top of Harding, there is a sign on the gate that says Area Closed. Makes me feel like I am poaching when I go around it.

9. mtnbikej

The Official Forestry Closure should be posted up on the gate, along with the map. I know it is at Beeks'.

10. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    Rode maple to motorway on Monday. Motorway is trashed and sucks.

11. mtnbikej

that is why it's CLOSED. :bang:

12. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    [​IMG]

13. grendal

grendal Member

Like!!

14. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Same closure is notice and map that is at Beeks is at each closure point. Its located at the Top of Harding for those descending the Peak or those coming across Main Divide from Bedford along the open section. Spoke with the Ranger up there on Saturday's ride (Good guy who's been in CNF for about a dozen years, name escapes me, I run into him a few times a year along Main Divide). He said he's come across people regularly who ignore the closure signs...and doesn't buy the "I didn't know" argument. It's pretty clear, and well-known to even the occassional user. Simple resolution for the Forest Service to permanently close Motorway, and shut Maple down for years like they did with Harding a while back. Nobody wants that.

Closed. Cerrado.

Thank You.

15. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    Llike!

16. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    I have been out of the loop. Back in the saddle after staying off the bike since August. Can anyone linked to a map with the closures marked? Is Blackstar to Sierra Peak still open?

17. mtnbikej

See post #213 & 247 above.

18. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Since I don't know the trails very well, I cannot make heads or tails of that map.

So once you get to Beek's place coming from Black Star, you can make a left turn to Skyline, Sierra Peak, etc. I know that much. What if I make a right? How far on Main Divide can I go. Is it closed right at Beek's place?

EDIT: found the answer from one of your posts.

19. MTBJOE57

MTBJOE57 mtbjoe57

IT
    Thank you mtnbikej! I kinda thought it was open but I wasn't sure. Thanks again.

20. GOGrannyGO

GOGrannyGO Titaneous Member

Long time no post. Rode up Trabuco on last Sat after hearing the great work Warriora etc have done. 2/3 up 3 motos come roosting up the trail. Got out of the way of the first out of self preservation then my riding partner who was behind me gives rider 2 a thumbs down signal and he stops and confronts my friend. Friend told him it is not a moto trail but moto 2 says oh yeah it is its a trucktrail and theres a cutoff for access. Friend said no theres not youre breakin the law. No theres a cut off bla blahblah. Whatever and he roosts us up the trail. Then rider 3 flies past. Upon retun to the t/h it was obvious the "cutoff" they were talking about was the ripped up route around the Trabuco walkover gate.

Irony is the 2nd moto had a gopro on. If we had had one on we would have had all 3 plates but we didnt. No evidence except for the newly loosened dry dirt n rocks on the trail. It really pissed us off and brought a figurative [a real one would have been nice. It was hot.] dark cloud for a while.

Anyway thanks WS for all your work that was erased by 3 D bags.
    /sweetblogbro