San Clemente Single Tracks - Holeshot reroute

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by OMR, Mar 25, 2012.

1. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    On Sat a group of us gathered to do a reroute on Holeshot. The California State botantist had recommended the trail be rerouted around an endangered species of grass recently found. Lana (state ranger) met us there and directed where they wanted the trail to go. Finding the endangered grass proved to be challenging. We were able to follow a line of yellow flags through the dense mustard. The ground was nice and soft due to the recent rains and after an a couple of hours we had a new trail. Of course we had brought the bikes and rode it soon afterwards. The head ranger, who had laid the reroute out, wanted it to have nice flow... which it does. Enjoy. The group.JPG Hiking in.JPG going over there.JPG Follow the yellow flags.JPG Field of grass.JPG Where is it.JPG Roger working.JPG Reed.JPG Working in mustard.JPG Trail thru mustard.JPG New trail.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  2. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Uh... I think I have that same kind of grass on my hill. Can you come over and build some trails? :)

Any idea of the species? I'd like to look it up.

3. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    You know, Lana told us what the name was and it was a long tongue twister... which I promptly forgot. The rain should pack the trail down perfectly. SCST is really great riding right now... but you'll have to wait a week or so for the soil to dry a bit.

4. Greengiant

Greengiant Steady diet of dirt

I issue building permits in Palo Alto!
    We rode the reroute about an hour after everyone was done working on it. Could hardly tell the trail had just been cut in, the dirt was already packed down nicely!