Road Ride Report RR (Roadie Report): Ontario GP

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by GeorgiaOfTheJungle, Aug 25, 2009.

1. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Hey guys, I know a few were talking about doing the race. How did it go?

Ubermensch missed the 4/5 sign up and I haven't heard/seen him, hope he missed the race. Was anyone else in the carnage? Heith, you're okay, right?

My own experience was great! My daughter went out in the juniors, so we arrived at 0630 for her race.

I was a bit nervous, as she hasn't ridden a geared road bike for all that long (2 wks), the velodrome has them do drills then break, and she was dropped at the start of her first race/time on her bike at San Marcos.

Her group, the Jr Women 10-14 started with the Jrs 10-12, by the end of their first lap, they had caught the Jr 12-14 yr olds and were neutralized-they couldn't pass the boys :( The 12-14yr old never picked up the pace enough to drop the other juniors, which made for an interesting, mixed up finish.

Ash got bumped in a corner, but stayed up. Then, she not only hung with the pack, but took 4th--woohoo!

When it came time for my group to line up, I knew it would be a fast one. I was familiar with most of the other riders, the largest crit field aside from SLO State Champ I think; luckily most were experienced and safe. We had a fast, clean race--so much fun!

I had just stepped away during the 4/5 race. As we were walking back, I heard the announcer allude to only a few survivors. Right in front of our easy-up was mass carnage. I'm not sure of what happened-I heard rumors ranging from a crossed wheel to some 5 trying to shake those drafting. I just hope everyone is okay and that our STR family is safe, out of the mess.

2. ubermensch

ubermensch New Member

I always get jealous whenever I watch the junior races. As great as I am now, I can't help but wonder what would have happened had I not started as an over the hill masters racer. :-({|= lol Did you get any pictures?

As for the pile up, I'm glad I made the last minute decision to take some much needed overtime and miss the races. I was registered for the masters races, but I was going to try and get into the 4/5 on the day of. Thanks for looking out though.

3. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I took a couple of pics of the Junior race, but the batteries ran out. Plus, I tend to cheer so much that I forget to snap pics :lol:

If anyone has kids, you should really check out Conniecycling.com-they have a FREE beginner class at the LA Velodrome for kids, including bike, helmet, and instruction (3 sessions total). Talk about wishing I did something when I was a kid #-o It really ignited Ashlie's interest in riding.

This weekend is Sisquoc, then the final CBR race at Dominguez Hills...anyone going?

Attached Files: