RR Mt. Sac Fat Tire Classic

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by dutch, Nov 4, 2007.

1. dutch

dutch New Member

Jax Bicycle Center Irvine, client advisor
    to denmother and mp3, thanks for the encouragement. sure it was frustrating to know that I could have placed higher and that I got stuck behind guys, but I went into the race knowing that it was my second and that I really didn't have too much stock in where i finished.

Although the course was a bit tamer than where I typically ride, it was still awesome riding with that many people.

Although I got bummed a bit by getting stuck behind people in a few places, I kept encouraging them, I don't know if I saw anyone on the course who was talking to people as much as me. I saw a spectator sitting down on a cooler and asked if he had any beers in there (this was coming up to the top of the little switch back climb) he said "for jax, anytime!" Although he didn't hand me a beer, it was still pretty cool.

The race was definitely more fun than frustration, and I look forward to my next one.

and as for introducing myself, I'm going to start trying to posting the rides I'll be doing (pretty much all short morning rides with my coworker before he has to go to work), and maybe some of you will join me.

good times!

2. Innes

Innes Member

Teacher
    Home Page:

I saw that same guy and I tried to get a beer from him too. He told me to at least wait until the second lap. By the time I came back around all the beer was gone and so was he. :-k

3. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    More STR Bubbs

Went back through and found some more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    And more....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    lots of great photos....

6. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Musta been hot out there!!!;)

[​IMG]

7. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    I think you got my best side.

[​IMG]

Oh, nice pass RacingSpokes! I believe that girl was in your class.

[​IMG]

8. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm wearing DH jerseys from now on. #-o

I always unzip and then everyone talks about it.. :-s

9. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    That probably would reduce the chance of wardrobe malfunctions or getting pulled off the course by the course marshals. :)

10. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

You just gotta stop sport'n the Victoria's Secret Push Up Sports Bras!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2007
  11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I've never had any such thing happen... What are zippered jerseys for if not to unzip?!

haha!

They're just c9 from Target. :-k

We po' or I'd get something more full coverage. :?:

12. DDB@OCR

DDB@OCR New Member

Aaaah! Say it aint so! I, for one, am opposed to this.

It could start a trend.
    And can you imagine the decline in spectorship if it did?

Think of the promoters. Think of the spectators! And the future of our sport!

Ladies, I implore you. Do not follow suit.

Please and thank you.

13. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Bit late but here are my pics from the race......

Sarah preps her weapon of choice for the day

[​IMG]

My woman-blanket on the start line ready to lay down some hurt

[​IMG]

Making some friends for about one minute until its time for the pleasantries to cease and the carnage to begin

[​IMG]

Bannana skin spokes lectures the STR clan about the dangers of fruit on the race course

[​IMG]

I suspect there may be too much lead in Allisons water if it takes 2 hands to lift the bottle

[​IMG]

Clearly there's more than just cytomax in this water. I've never seen anyone rub cytomax into their gums before. odd!

[​IMG]

Womens starting line up - Allison and Nancy

[​IMG]

My photographer buds for the morning

[​IMG]

Damon mono-cogging his way thru another race - come on man the French did one thing right in history now embrace it!

[​IMG]

Come on this is a family occasion - NSFW!!

[​IMG]

Cyclocross boy gets cajolled into getting on and almost immediately regrets it. Abort Abort!

[​IMG]

14. Keith B

Legionnaire of Life
    Lacey comes through for some lappery

[​IMG]

Strange, I dont recall seeing this guy on the start line

[​IMG]

Off the brakes Dad

[​IMG]

Not sure this is in the rule book - mid race stoker swap over. *Mental note to get one of these so Sarah can go on the back :lol: Ensuing fight to make sure she didnt try and get me on the back could scuttle this idea tho*

[​IMG]

Justin shows his white power roots and salutes the photographers. Wrong, jsut so wrong.

[​IMG]

SS Justin blasting through on his new Kona

[​IMG]

Mr. Pho always makes for great photos - no one ever appears in more pain than this guy. :bang:

[​IMG]

Annabelle experiences the twitchiness of the old style stumpjumper and gets a 9 from the judges for the dismount

[​IMG]

That skinny rear (tyre) looks highly susceptible to a pinch flat

[​IMG]

15. Keith B

Legionnaire of Life
    Innocent photographer about to take one in the chops by Allisons flying bottle

[​IMG]

Maxwell wins the days award for the heaviest race bike one record :bang:

[​IMG]

The Brotherhood of Mann (You won't get that unless you were a music listener in the UK during the 70's) kicking back with STR afterwards

[​IMG]

Not sure what my dear old Mum would say if she knew I was hanging out in a field with a man calling himself Pain Freak

[​IMG]

After the pain....the pleasure

[​IMG]

Sho-Air cruelty innitiation ritual

[​IMG]

What are things coming to when your woman gets a better trophy than you........and people wonder why I dont race :lol:

[​IMG]

Its like the end of Star Wars all over again. Only this time Chewie gets a medal

[​IMG]

*Pre-emptive public appology for anything said that may be construed to be anyway offensive to anyone of a religious, sensitive or animal loving (I love dogs and wookies as much as the next man) nature* I'm SOOOO sorry.

Great day that really reignited my passion for biking after a fair old absense. I think Andy, Jeff and I were pretty much the only STR peeps in attendance that werent racing but we had a blast snapping and soaking up the atmosphere and beers (cheers mp3) all the same. On the way home all I could think of was when I can get another XC bike and get back out there :)

16. Upsidedown1

Upsidedown1 Peddler

Service Mgr in a POS company
    Its been awhile since I checked out STR. Seen you guys at the race, but don't know anybody to well. Been on a couple of rides with STR and thats it. I had a great time at the race. The awards ceremony went by slow but other than that it was great. Finished 1st in 40-44 beginner class. I'll try and keep more tuned in to STR.

17. mtnbikerdude87

mtnbikerdude87 Huh?

Whoa my lil bro got hit by a bottle? haha he never mentioned it.

18. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Yes Keith, I'm always in that much pain while racing.

Btw, that tire did flat. I did see this girl pulled over with that rear tire off fixing a flat.

[​IMG]

19. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    Ok so i promised a long and somewhat pointless RR so here it goes.
    ill type as long as i can before my attention gets taken somewhere else
    ok so here's the story
    Sunday morning woke up around 645 to be out of the house at 8 ( my mom takes awhile to get ready) and then headed to vons to follow my pre race ritual taht my coach taught me
    when i went in i bought a blue blackberry rush NAKED juice, a few banana's, an apple, and i already had my two clif bars... on the way to the race i ate the apple in the truck, i even tried to throw it in the bed of the truck like i did with my coach (tried since my moms stopped me halfway).
    Once at the race i got over to registration to get registered then sat until about 45 minutes before my race i got all suited up and began some kind of a warm up.
    About 15 minutes before start time i caught up with jason, jfromlv, and he said i should go see mark, the owner of INCYCLE, to borrow a scalpel to race on since it weighs 10_15 pounds less then my "cross country" rig. So i proceeded over to talk to mark and he quickly decided he would allow me to race the 6800 cannondale scalpel. After i finally got on my new race rig, it was time to stage for my take off. i got in line and ended up getting a spot towards the front. My group tookoff somewhat slow considering me, and the kid in the other sport group took off and halfway up that first righthand hill, we looked back and the rest of the pack was about 50 yards behind us... me being somewhat friendly to other racers in other classes, started talking to this kid. I said, " dude we broke away, since were in different classes, lets pace each other and own everyone.." he's like ok tight
    well i tried to stay on his tire but when we hit the part of the track that went back on the cement before the water exchange, he was going slow so i took off and passed about 10 other guys from the groups that started before mine... well i tossed my bottle at the water bottle area to find out they were out of bottles, leaving me very thirsting, and gaggin throughout the race...
    although i had no water, it was still very awesome.
    i caught people left and right and blew by them seeming almost never to get tired... at one point i did ask painfreak for a swig of water but he said he had none so i flew by him and kept racing...
    race weent flawless until the last sandy hill... the guy in front of me washed out leaving me to walk up it with about 20-30 other guys or so in fron tof me walking... i jumped off my bike and SPRINTED full speed up this hill.... people probably thought i was a cross country runner the way i passed all theses guys... i think it was pain freak yelling "DAMN when's Brandon gonna stop?!?!?! Holy Crap this guys insane!" well whoever it was thanks because it made me sprint faster...
    well i finished my race after that hill with the group that first started at 11... and that group started 8 mins before me!!
    well i was happy, gagging a little bit but man did i love the adrenaline and the gagging... i thought i was going to throw up, and i was actually happy!
    well knowing i got first, i was exstatic, so i had no idea what to do... i just rode around smiling =)
    well eventually it was raffle time and i sweeped that for the most part, (as did the other STR members)
    i ended up leaving with

a 5 pack of GU
    2 sets of grips
    a hat
    an INCYCLE shirt
    roadie tires, ill end up giving those away, maybe sell them
    GU2O eloctrolyte drink mix
    SERFA riding glasses
    a bike cleaning kit, complete with an awesome chain brush, and white lightning lube
    and i think thats it....
    but anyways, i had alot of fun, and Met alot of new STR people, and NO i dont remember half of your names... sorry dont take it personal.
    But im sure you've all seen the pics from the race so no need for me to re post them!
    Oh and by the way, i keep saying i want all these bikes, and thats befoere i ride them... now i can honestly say
    I WANT A SCALPEL.... problem is, the model i rode and fell in love with is 6899 :eek:
    but its ok... im going to work something out with mark and maybe work in the shop a certain amount of days until i can afford the bike... then i think ill have it by the 2009 season
    =)
    but again, lots of fun cant wait until the southridge race in 2 weekends

20. DDB@OCR

DDB@OCR New Member

I got dibs on the tires.

p/s- Scalpel is a nice bike.....I suggest lowering your standards juuust a tad...we can buld ya a HT for cheap and put the extra cash towards upgrades and entry fees, if yuor shop deal don't work out. Plus my new Giant is coming in a few days and you can race Trigger in the mean-time.

Way to hammer lil bub. And on a strange bike too!

:beer: