RR Fontucky WS #3 (Feb 9-10) XC, Super D & DH practice pics

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Winston, Feb 9, 2008.

1. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    Yeah, we were not formally introduced but I was the one talking with Nancy and Rog and once someone told me Sharky was the one at the top I figured you were the one down below with the 5 kids hangin' around :lol:

My little girl snapped a photo of you when you said no one ever takes my pic but I do not think you want it posted, to much light, out of focus and the facial expresion . . . ;)

2. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I decided to take a week off from racing the XC at Fontana to give myself a chance to focus on the downhill. Still, we arrived in time on Saturday morning to cheer everyone on in the race. The PATH was out in full force, representin'!

The Path's 29er XC division :) Rut, Auk, Allison, Justin, Sims
    [​IMG]

Willie & Maxwell...I like to think they were strategizing :)
    [​IMG]

Auk, National Anthem-style
    [​IMG]

1x1clyde (Neil)...jus' chillin'
    [​IMG]

Godzilla
    [​IMG]

MY hero of the weekend...J Sims...back and ready to throw down
    [​IMG]

CaDownhillDoll (Donna)...first XC race in TWO years!! She was looking strong!
    [​IMG]

Sport XC ladies waiting to start
    [​IMG]

Andy strikes yet another sexy pose
    [​IMG]

Also got to meet a few of the STR peeps that I haven't met...Pho'd Up (Carl) and Surlygal (Tracy) and Maddie.

Pho'd Up (Carl)...pre-taco
    [​IMG]

J_Sims heading out
    [​IMG]

I stayed around for the start of the race and went back up to the feed zone to cheer on some of the riders as they went through. Conditions were sunny and very, very warm. I could tell many of the riders were hurting and I only could imagine how I would've felt in the heat.

Dan, Danny, and I suited up for DH practice and pushed up to the top rock garden. We sessioned for a while and I felt like I was finally getting a line down. I wanted the high right line but it was hard to stick it, so I settled for the middle. I was tentative about the drop at first but by race day I was able to air off the middle/right, which was comfortable for me. The rest of practice went well, but we saw sooo much carnage in the rock garden. I finished with several partial runs and a couple complete ones.

The late afternoon saw Nancy going to the doctor for stitches in her arm. We made plans for dinner and all sat around shootin' the breeze and having fun.

The sun was setting.

[​IMG]

Everyone was chillin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good brew was shared.
    [​IMG]

And then...all hell broke loose :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then, Justin challenged everyone to a choney-only (that's undies only for the non-Spanglish speakers) race on the 4X track...um, yeah, nobody took him up on it.
    [​IMG]

Dinner was at the Macaroni Grill. Nancy and Roger made it out of the doctor's office just in time to join us.

Random scribbling...the waitress gave us crayons! Guess she figured out our maturity level :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great riding buds

[​IMG]

On race day, I focused on getting a clean run through the top turns, but the loose off-camber right turn did me in a couple times. By the time the race came, I kind of butchered it but didn't crash...just lost maybe 2 seconds or so. I finished 7th in the pro women with a 2:20. Though my time wasn't really fast, I felt like I tried my hardest on a few sections and improved over the last race.

Though this race wasn't really "technical" per se, a lot of folks crashed and/or ended up with broken bikes....the STR contingent included Nancy with 22 stitched in her arm, Roger with a gash down his shin, Sauce (Sarah) with hurting ribs, Mudman (Gary) with a crash and sore back and head, and there's probably more I didn't see.

Even the XC course claimed a few victims...Pho'd Up (Carl) taco'd his front wheel. Andy aka Rut and Heather's friend Amanda broke her ribs.

Podium shots

Pro men. For the record, there is a $100 challenge out there...anyone who can beat Kovarik's time will win it. He's won over a grand so far...
    [​IMG]

Pro women (hoping to be up there in two weeks)
    [​IMG]

Expert men (not sure of age group)...Brad a repeat in first
    [​IMG]

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

22 stiches later.....

Clipped a tree during DH practice Saturday afternoon. Urgent care, 22 stiches and no use of my arm for 12 days. One handed trainer riding only!!!

Thanks to everyone who called, texted, posted and provided hugs and healing vibes!!!

See you in two weeks. :bang:

[​IMG]

4. Vince

Vince New Member

Plumber
    Home Page:
    I have thought of cutting back on gear too because of the heat. Race # 1 I didn't wear my pressure suit. I gues we will just have to sweat it out:). Heal up soon !

5. 53-12

53-12 by design

Landscape Architecture
    My few cents worth of pix from the xc. Thanks to all the racers for putting on a show. Went out with my son just to watch, and both had a good time.

Attached Files:

6. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

Race Report-
    Saturday morning we show up to find the Stevenson's (local Sho-Air pro's) both on singlespeeds. That really hurts the ego before the race even starts! :?: I mean what is with THAT?! Pro's racing in my singlespeed division??! Anyway, I get out here on the Niner and let my bike take me where I need to go. I rode hard and was put away wet. I cut about 30 seconds off my last time (which put me in 2nd last race,) but ended up in 4th this time. How in the world can there be headwinds on all six climbs???! I crossed the finish line with a smile and the support of good friends. Thanks guys.

After about an hour of rest it was time for the Super-D. I scoped the course and found there wasn't to be any climbing in this one. It started at the water tower. It was all xc descending and then flat fireroad to the finish of the xc course. It really wasn't my type of Super-D race.
    I am lucky enough to have good friends. Instead of using my singlespeed, I asked Machmann if I could borrow his Sir9-huge thanks! He has it set up as a 1:9. I borrowed his Niner. I was hoping that would help on the fireroad. Soon enough I heard the truck driver announce the Super-D racers to get in the trucks...who am I to argue?? I crossed the finishline 5th in the expert. Not all that shabby for my 3rd Super-D.
    Saturday afternoon was spend watching the sunset with my STR family and a few good beers. I really couldn't get better!
    Sunday was a new day. I was feeling pretty good and my legs were not all that sore. I did one DH pre-run and gave Sharky a great opportunity for photos in the rock garden (see above photo.) As we watched the pro's descent the end of the course Dino gets a call from Tumbleweed. Amanda broke a rib or two and they are heading to the ER. I take a quick moment and decide I need to be with my friends. The course will be here in two weeks. We leave Fontucky around 11:30 and get out of the ER around 6pm. Well at least Amanda got her pain meds.
    Heal fast and well my friend!

Am I dsappointed in my results?? Oh hells no, I went to the races, rode great bikes, had an absolute blast with great friends, worked my arse off and was still lucky enough to get on the XC and the Super D podium.

There were a ton of injuries this weekend. I hope everyone heals quick and comes out stronger than ever!

:beer: to Willie for racing Sport.
    :beer: to Roger and Nancy who did not race at all (because of injuries) but were there to suport.
    :beer: to Allison who took a HARD fall on Saturday yet still got out there on Sunday and rode like a Bad Arse!
    :beer: to Carla for a great race as well.
    :beer: to J Sims for getting back out there with a broken ankle.
    and a special :beer: to Tumbleweed for everything All the time!!!!

:wave:

7. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    The scumbag returns

[​IMG][​IMG]

After cow belling the last two races I was foaming at the mouth to get back out there and see how it would go. I showed up early on Sat and brought both the Dos to race XC and the Socom to see if DH was goiong to even be an option (still suffering from the demons that bit me on the maiden voyage of this rig) I see the Mann's pull in, the Steph and Dan show pulls in and then Rut and company join the camp and the weekend is off and running. I think Roger and Nancy were there before Donny and the crew even set up:lol: While out warming up for XC Justin is showing me parts of the course and PPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT cut side wall on the ft of the Dos and even though running tubeless it seems that Stan had left the wheel, Carried the bike back to camp and Justin helped me get back up and running in time to make the start of the race. It is here that I was able to meet Jman who was racing in my class and helped me calm my nerves a bit through conversation to pass the time before we started. I suffered quite a bit out there but I kept hearing people cheering me on as I would go by on the course and that kept me going... I ended up with my first piece of MTB Racing Hardware with a 5th place in XC, surprised the heck out of me, I was just thankful that I survived.
    On goes the DH Gear and out comes the Socom and memories of our last venture when she was not so nice to me. Up we went and down we came slowly and cautiously at first, and building speed and confidence throughout the day. Finally ending with what felt like a pretty good run and hitting the drop at the bottom of the rock garden in a big way....:bang: Return to camp to find NO Roger and Denmother :-s :-k A phone call later and we are all sending the healing vibes out to Nancy and her 22 new friends.:bang:

Justin provides us all with the evening entertainment and off we go to return tomorrow...

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY (insert echo effect here)

A couple of practice runs in the AM with Allison and Gary, Note: Allison is flying along overcoming the Demons of her dismount the day before and doing one hell of a job:beer::clap::beer: and BAM it is time to head up for race runs. Jason, Gary and I sat up top rationing our water and sharing shot blocks until it was time to go and away we went one by one, my primery goal here was simply a smooth run with no crashes I did not want to test the limitations of my ankle brace. It was great hearing all ther cheers and support on the way down, I ended up 6th in my class with HUGE props going out to Jason who finished 2nd:bang:

All in all a great weekend with great friends and Yes it feels great to be back in action... Thank you to everyone for all of the phone calls, Pm's and visits while I was out on the DL, you were all key elements in my speedy recovery. I hope that everyone that was injured is as fortunate as I to be surrounded by such loving and supportive friends as I. I am very thankful for each and every one of you...:beer:

See you all in 2 weeks if not sooner

8. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    here's a video of one of the good crashes... he ran straight into the tock left of the drop at the upper rock garden... flipped over landed on his neck/back, rolled, ran got his bike and continued on, althoguh his fork looked tweaked...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=aZ7ilg0S1Kk

9. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    I had a blast on Saturday also!

No podiums for me this time, but I did knock 42 seconds off of my time from last race.....on Godzilla.\\:D/

I told Donny I'd bet that I had the heavyest XC bike out there today. He said "yeah, you go have fun".:lol::lol:

6th out of 8 in Clyde XC
    7th out of 12 in Sport Super D

I'm looking forward to the next race. It sounds like my son Jake will be joining us. He'll be racing Beginer Men 13-15.

10. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Nice!!

11. gil_caz

gil_caz JfromLV Fan Club viceprez

i found this picture as i was going through the photos at phototurbo.com, and i thought i would share it here...

his face is priceless at the top of the rock section.

12. gil_caz

gil_caz JfromLV Fan Club viceprez

here

Attached Files:

13. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I'd be scared to death if I had an XC lid and no pads on also!

14. DasBrink

DasBrink 6th coolest guy in SoCal

Hey all! Does anyone know who the photogs were that were stalking around the super d course? and ,if applicable, when the photos will be posted?

I had a great first race weekend, except for the whole getting turned around at the end of the course. cost me a podium damnit! oh well, always next time!

Heal fast Denmother!

15. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I just wanted to thank everyone who stayed to support our ZA class.
    It is a long of a day of being out in the sun and dirt. Can be tiring.
    But when I went by I heard all the yelling. Then when I hit the rock garden everyone was silent for a couple of seconds. Maybe because of all the carnage in the rock section. Or maybe my ears turn off when I am focused. Then right before the drop all the way to the corner I heard everyone screaming. I think that helps you find your over drive. I was cheering everyone on so much at the top by my race run I could hardly talk. My throat still hurts.
    Could it be that I am allergic to the Fontana air?

16. J_Sims

Sales and Marketing
    you mean smog??;)

17. Marshall Willanholly

Marshall Willanholly Active Member

Home Page:
    [​IMG]
    photo by LastImages.com

My weekend in Fontana. The weather was great, and the course was back to it's usual sandy/loose conditions. One significant change was the elimination of the "sprint" along the wall. I feel the need to put sprint in quotes because, while for many it is one, for me it's usually more of a wheezing, gasping wobble.

The course was similar to the one used for the Southridge Challenge last November. There were a couple different turns near the water tower, and the first rock garden was completely different. I spent most of my Saturday practice time working on the corners up top. I did a couple runs with Curtis (m80kickflip) and we talked about lines through the rock garden. I tried it a few times and felt somewhat comfortable with the high line, but I had difficulty being consistent. It seemed like my line was a little (sometimes a lot) different every time. I was also having a lot of trouble with the long left hander near the road. Winston suggested it was my new Royal pants, but I had the same problems on Sunday so I guess I need to find another scapegoat.#-o

CB and I got out there early on Sunday in the hopes of getting some practice time in before the course got too busy. I did a run through the rock garden and a couple top-to-bottom runs, and then it was time to relax under the EZ-up and wait for the shuttle. I felt relaxed for my race run and I felt pretty good about the way it went. I didn't hit any one section particularly fast and in fact had done most of them better in practice, but overall the run was smooth with no major bobbles. My goal going into this season was to consistently finish in the top 10 and maybe sneak onto the podium once or twice. That didn't happen in the first two races. Needless to say I was very happy when Doublewide told me I had gotten eighth. My best finish in any of my races so far. It has given me a much-needed confidence boost and hopefully I can continue to improve my placings.

Congrats to all the STR folks who did so well this weekend. An extra :bang:to Doublewide, who finished his first DH race in 5th in Sport 35-44.

18. Winston

Winston Bad 5%

Congrats MW! Who knew that upping the orange was the key to finally defeating me? :lol:

19. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I knew the orange was Key.

20. J_Sims

Sales and Marketing

Time to shopping:bang: