RR: Cherry Canyon, La Canada, Ca

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by zerogravity, Nov 25, 2014.

1. zerogravity

zerogravity (R.I.P.) Lets Ride!!!!

Graphic Designer, Track owner
    Home Page:
    I was invited to try a new trail. Still kinda in my coming back stage i was hesitant but i was told it was a short 8 mile ride. SOLD. SO i set up an invite to a few peeps on Facebook to see who could join me. Tim ended up joining me and a few other friends in this new trail for me. Before the ride, i have been having problems with my fork being too harsh on my rides...so i experimented with PSI and went WAY low...it did the trick! Relating my RC knowledge to MTB...it seems the high PSI was like a SUPER STIFF Spring. I fixed it and had a GREAT RIDE because of it.

Parking was scarce as you can see. I actually had to park down the street.
    [​IMG]

While waiting for a straggler, we opted to try the 1st "Short Loop" which was surprisingly pleasant. I have forgotten how easy it was to burn out in my granny gear...too low a gear, too fast. Was pretty winded after only a 10 minute climb. The first drop off was a little steep and loose at the beginning, but then evolved to a nice flowy single track. I was cautious at first...its been over a year since i actually had to ride anything technical..so it was a very welcomed and humbling experience. Here was the end of that little run back to the trail head. It kinda reminded me of a mix of Turnbull, Santiago Oaks, and El Morrow all in one trail.
    [​IMG]

Finally, the straggler arrives...then decides to VAPe...
    [​IMG]

Here we are getting ready for another climb...about 3 miles up.
    [​IMG]

WE are almost at the top...but man...the winds were getting a little knarly. Like 20+ mph. The climb reminded me of Turnbull...just kept on going and going although i could see the top at a distance.
    [​IMG]

My Rumblefish as i make it to the top. WOoohooo!
    [​IMG]

Its funny...i grew up in that area..and NEVER KNEW there were trails like that back then. Now, because of MTBing, i have a reason to visit all sorts of places with awesome trails.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's my buddy's 15 year old Nephew on the left, My buddy Jeff in the middle and Eugene on the right.
    [​IMG]

ANd the STraggler RON by himself.
    [​IMG]

That is me and Tim at the end of the ride.
    [​IMG]

I had a REALLY good time, although my ride was a total of 4 miles...hahha. The climbing didnt kill me like i thought it was...and at the top of some of the switchbacks, i actually monstered through them like a boss when the rest walked it. I felt pretty damn proud of myself. Going downhill, was loose but rideable. The mini rock gardens were ridden over with my 29er wheels...the great part was the nervousness i had at an unfamiliar trail...especially when there was exposure on one side, gusts of wind, and not completely trusting the grip of my tires. Even some body english i had to RE-LEARN going down the switchbacks was so cool to re-experience...i was smiles all day. Tim can attest to that. I have forgotten why i rode so much back then...and man...its like being reborn. SO KILLER! I could have gone another loop, but with the bad winds started affecting my allergies so i had to cut it short. I will be back for sure..,.with more people too! I can't wait to go back!

2. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Damn this almost makes me want to battle the 1.5-2 hours of traffic to get here and ride this!!

3. Sewellymon

Sewellymon Member

biz man
    For those of us who live near-by, Cherry Canyon is a god send.

4. JimN

JimN Member

Nice ride report! To make the ride bigger, I recommend starting from the Glendale Sports Complex and utilizing the Catalina Verdugo Trail & Ridge Mtwy. You can easily cobble together over 12 miles with 2,200+ feet of elevation gain out there. There are many route options, but here's an example of a ride I did back in September:

http://app.strava.com/activities/190822363