Rock It Takes Another Rider Today

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by mingo1, Sep 24, 2009.

1. MTB4EVER

MTB4EVER New Member

Wanderer
    A story to remember when I feel like *my* life is in the crapper.
    Best wishes to all

2. SuperDKim

SuperDKim New Member

Office Mang. MBZ Repair Shop
    Prayer out to the entire family! Life changes so quickly we all need to stop and remember what is important to each of us! Healing vibes to both of them! Glad to hear they caught it early and treatable! Have a friend that was treated for stage 3 and is doing well. Remission!!!:wave:

3. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Wow. Prayers going out to the whole family. Glad to see Kris' faith is keeping her strong. It's an encouragement to all of us.

4. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
    I've been struggling for the past two days with what to say. I still don't know what to say, but saying nothing is not the right answer.

The emotions this thread brings up are so mixed. So much pain, anguish, and confusion for one family to bear, yet there is hope and beauty on the horizon. When you guys get past this --and you will-- you will be so much stronger for it, so much stronger than most of us.

I want to write here and say "you're in my prayers," but of course you are! And how small it sounds to me to say so. All I have to do is sit here and send healing vibes and keep you in my thoughts and prayers, I'm not the one that has to go through chemo or radiation, or rehabilitation, or being severely injured, or being separated for 6 months. I can't even fathom what it's like.

But I have to find something to say.

Meanwhile, I see the bond and the strength of this family. I see the enormous fortune they have in each other. I see the luck of being able to get better when misfortune comes their way, even when it is so close to the kind of misfortune that can be deadly if not dealt with nimbly and expertly. There is a happy ending coming. That makes me feel good.

Yet, one must not be complacent. There will be hard work and hard times ahead. A positive outlook and an unrelenting refusal to accept anything less than the best outcome will be required of all.

Be strong. I know you will and don't need me to tell you that, but I feel better saying it. And healing vibes and prayers to you.

5. scsc

scsc Member

ED MD
    I'm very sorry about your latest bad news. As an ER doc myself, it always amazes me when I see what some families have to endure. I guess we're all just given each day as a gift, with no guarantees for how tomorrow will look.

The courage you and your husband have shown is inspiring. I wish the best for both of you. I don't know Ken, but as a fellow mountain biker I feel a connection to him as do many others on this site. If you need any medical questions answered, I'd be glad to help to the best I can-just PM me.

6. silverspot

silverspot Go that way...

12/14 Update...

Monday, December 14, 2009 7:35 AM, PST

Within the next couple of days, we will find out whether Ken will be discharged to home, to an acute rehab center for additional inpatient therapy, or home with outpatient acute rehab. God has certainly put Ken on the fast track and it is hard to believe that almost 3 months ago I was journaling about emergency surgeries and induced comas.

You have all witnessed a God-given miracle as you see Ken up walking with a cane, eating, and conversing with you. Everything in the medical world points that this day would not be here for several more months or if ever. To God be the glory and praise!

Over the past several days, Silverado has been preparing him to be more independent and ready for home life. Yesterday, the physical therapist and Ken came home to look at the house and see what modifications need to be made. There will be a few, but he gave Ken the list - an engineer at heart.

There are mixed emotions about Ken coming home - excitement and worry. He will not have his "flap" on until approximately January. His brain will only be protected by his helmet and he is not always so good about remembering to wear it - everywhere! He wants to go back to work, but is not really ready for that, yet. Brain injuries are funny like that - you think you are healed because your brain cannot tell you differently.

As I continue on my personal journey these past days have been filled with Dr. appointments, outpatient surgery, sleeping, and on my knees before the Lord. It has been such a whirlwind week and a half that it is hard for me to keep it all moving forward and hopefully in a straight line.

There is so much I want to accomplish before chemo on Wednesday, but know that my body is not going to cooperate. Honestly, it is a struggle for me and an area that God is stretching me in - to ask for help and to let go. I would have preferred another teaching method...

God and I have had lots of conversations - praising and thanking Him for who He is - faithful, steadfast, merciful, and loving; for my church family (both near and far); requesting a smooth reaction to chemo; my fears and worries; and to walk with us as we have many family transitions.

As I read today in "My Utmost for His Highest" the very first sentence caught me:
    "Whenever we experience something difficult in our personal life, we are tempted to blame God." Further on it reads, "Our attitude must be one of complete reliance on God."

Today that is what I am working towards - keeping my attitude and reliance on God in each moment. I am not sure that I can really say that I "blame" God, but I do struggle with just so much at one time. My prayer is that God will use this journey, whatever it holds, to allow me to continue to point others to Christ. I want to be a light...

7. silverspot

Another E-mail I just Received

I just received the message below regarding a meal calendar for the Krieger family (I can't believe someone didn't tell me about this earlier :?:)

If you'd like to provide a meal or two for the Kriegers, just sign up at the link below:
    http://www.foodtidings.com/SignUp.aspx?ScheduleGuid=7c1af01e-4e40-41e5-b825-c80bf5f4edca

I also received the message below from Ken's boss and co-worker, Shiela:

As you know late September our friend and co-worker Ken Krieger was in a tragic mountain biking accident. With a tremendous amount of faith and determination he is making awesome strides towards his recovery and is doing well. He is in a rehabilitation facility and hopes to be going home soon. Sadly, Ken's amazing wife Kris was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma cancer last week and starts six months of chemotherapy this Wednesday.

We're going to surprise the Krieger family with Christmas gifts this year. If you'd like to donate a gift card or money which will be used to purchase gift cards for the family, we'd greatly appreciate your kindness.

Kaitlyn is 14 years old and is into clothes (Pac Sun, Aeropostle, Kohl's, Payless Shoes); Kaleigh is 11 years old and likes scrapbooking, cooking, and jewelry (Michaels, Claires, Forever 21). Other gift cards that would be wonderful are Ralphs, Trader Joes or Costco.

Kris and Ken send their heartfelt thanks for the generosity that we, their extended family have already shown them and are most grateful for your continued prayers.

Thank you very much!

Donations can be sent to:
    Wildan Engineering
    c/o Shiela McCracken or Ken Taylor
    2401 E. Katella Ave., Suite 450
    Anaheim, CA 92806

Other ways to assist: Rides
    We are waiting to hear if Ken will be moved to an acute rehabilitation facility or if he will be an out-patient; he could be transferred as early as this week. He will need assistance with rides there and back, until Kris is feeling better. The facility is in Orange and they live in Dana Point. If you’re interested in helping with rides please send me an email at [email protected]

Peace -
    Scott

8. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

12/24 Update

December 24, 2009 7:40 AM, PST
    Merry Christmas!

For me, it is hard to believe that tonight we will be gathering with our church family and celebrating the birth of our Savior. It is a time of rejoicing and a time for reflection. Take time to pause and ponder that God's gift to man, His son Jesus. This was just the beginning of his journey to the cross - the ultimate freely given gift of salvation. It is the "best gift" every year...

For our family, we have an extra special gift of Ken coming home to spend the day with us tomorrow, Christmas Day. We are all very excited to have "daddy" home. We will be low key and plan on "hanging out" together - enjoying each others company and feeling "normal". Thank you to everyone who has helped to make this day a reality for us...

On the medical front, as of now, Ken is scheduled to have his "flap" surgery Dec. 31st at Mission Hospital. We think that it is a 2-3 day hospital stay. For him, it finally feels like he is moving forward to getting home. The goal is that from there he will move to outpatient rehab that will work with him on home life skills and ultimately getting back to work.

This is a huge prayer request area for me - the specific program, the timing, how do we pay for it, etc. It is also the place that God has really been working on my heart - surrender, surrender it all. For those of you that know me, I struggle with balancing my "arranger" (just resort the new information and come up with a new plan) with letting go and all of the emotion and heartache that comes with it.

These last few days I have found myself really getting pushed by God. I have had the most amazing life circumstances thrown at me - one after the other. It has taken me until now to really face that truth. God keeps asking me...Are you ready to surrender? Are you really ready to let go and allow Me to work in your heart to mold you and shape you; to prepare you for the plans that I have for you?

As I spent the week working through the daily devotional on the back of our sermon notes, I kept coming back to Mary's response to the angel "I am the Lord's servant" [Luke 1:26-38] Her response was so much deeper than what appears on the surface. It is her total surrender to Lord - the pieces that do not make sense; her fears and insecurities; her plans that were not His.

God and I have talked this week a lot about what He is asking me to surrender to Him. I have "thrown in the towel" as they say, and laid my stuff at His feet - fortunately, there is never too much for Him. I am sure that I will want take it back, but I know that once I have truly left it there, He will be in charge of it and handle it all. I have been given the gift of freedom, freedom from what I have been holding onto...my baggage.

Although words can never really express the gratitude that I have for all of you - words of encouragement, prayer, errands, meals, etc., please know that we are thanking God for you and the blessing you have been to us. In a million years I never would have dreamed that I would be at this place in life, but God knew. And, He has surrounded us with family and friends - the arms and feet of Jesus to walk alongside and carry us through.

You are His beloved and mine...

9. denmother

12/29 Update

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:27 AM, PST

Our Christmas celebration was not as we expected, and we are still waiting to celebrate with Ken...

Ken caught the stomach flu Christmas Eve, so there was no coming home on Christmas Day - too contagious. We were all disappointed, but were able to talk to him on the phone and made plans for all of us to go to the Krieger family celebration on Sunday afternoon.

Saturday night, of course I just climbed into bed, the phone rang and it was Silverado (where Ken is staying). He had fallen and an ambulance was on its way to take him to the hospital. Fortunately, he had his helmet on, but was pretty out of it. For the last several days he has been struggling with high blood pressure and having a virus. After a long night, he went back at Silverado and is recuperating from a intestinal virus (highly contagious) and has been confined to his bed - not a happy camper!

The girls and I had a quiet Christmas Day and a wonderful time with Ken's family on Sunday afternoon - laughing is good medicine. For us, our Christmas celebration will be when Ken comes home.

Ken has done all his pre-op requirements and we are now down to waiting until his surgery on Thursday morning (7am). We are anticipating him to be discharged to home after his surgery and then continue with outpatient therapy.

I have no idea where we will land for outpatient therapy. I have given that one to the Lord to handle, although I keep thinking I should take it back :)

My heart's desire is for him to go to Winways (not in our insurance network). Its program is suited for our type of unusual circumstances - 6 hours therapy daily, home environment (cooking, laundry, etc.), driving, work integration (they work with him at his workplace), and lots of other details. Many of the details would normally fall to me, and I would gladly do them. But, with clear instructions from my doctors, I am not able to be part of the therapy or be a caregiver - too much energy and stress.

Timing is down to the wire and here is where I get caught wanting to take back what I have given to God to handle. God in His wisdom graciously has reminded me yesterday and today that I need to surrender and wait.

Isaiah 64:4
    "Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him."

Jesus Calling...
    "I am preparing you for what is on the road ahead, just around the bend. Take time to be still in My Presence so that I can strengthen you."

"Trust Me with every fiber of your being! What I can accomplish in and through you is proportional to how much you depend on Me...I care as much about your tiny trust-steps through daily life as about your dramatic leaps of faith. You may think that no one notices, but the One who is always beside you sees everything-and rejoices."

Today I am surrendering my fears, my hearts desires, and my control; today I am waiting and trusting - knowing that God has the perfect plan for us. He is asking me to sit and let Him work.

We would covet your prayers for Ken's surgery, God's timing and what is best for us regarding outpatient therapy, and the home front as I have chemo tomorrow, Wednesday - I need more than I can give for the following four days.

10. silverspot

12/31 Update...

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 31, 2009 3:37 PM, PST

This morning Ken had his "flap" put back on and is currently in the SICU at Mission Hospital. He is in good hands with Heather, his nurse, as she remembered us from our last stint in the SICU. She is a mountain biker too and was very excited to see how well Ken has progressed in such a short time.

I was only able to visit very briefly as my white cell count is extremely low. I was able to still have chemo yesterday, but today had the wonderful privilege of giving myself an injection to help boost my white cells - only 5 more days of injections. It sounds like this will be part of my routine every other chemo treatment.

Praise Report - I received a call while I was on my way to the hospital...insurance approved 1 week inpatient at Winways. They will take it week to week for inpatient, but he will then continue as an outpatient.

Prayer Request - please continue to pray for Ken's recovery and the timing for him to head to Winways. They are not able to take him until Monday. Secondly, the next couple of days are my worst, so I will not be able to visit Ken - please pray for peace and comfort for him while he is in the hospital.

God is good and His timing is perfect...when we let Him be in charge. God and I have talked numerous times these past few days and I told him my heart's desires, but that I would submit to what He thought was best. He was gracious to honor my request and I appreciate all of your prayers on our behalf.

11. silverspot

1/3 Update

Sunday, January 3, 2010 5:12 PM, PST

It has taken me a few days to get this update posted...

Ken is progressing along from his surgery. He was moved from ICU to the Progressive Care Unit (a step down from ICU). He is still battling with nausea and pain. Today, he had a CT scan done and Dr. Massoudi is going to tweak his meds to see if that will help. The physical therapists have been getting him up and walking even though it does not make him feel well.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to see Ken since his surgery, but have been keeping up with phone calls to the nurses. I am still recouping from chemo and boosting my white cell count before I head into any crowds or known germ places (aka hospitals).

We are not sure when he will be discharged, but God has graciously allowed us to move directly into an inpatient program at Winways. The inpatient program will give him time to continue to recuperate from surgery and allow them to assess the best course of rehab.

These past fews days have been pretty tough - physically and mentally. It is hard to "listen" to your body when your head is telling you to be with Ken. Although, I have to give the body credit...it has really dug its feet in with screaming not to go anywhere.

Couple of prayer requests...
    1. For Ken to continue progressing and relief from the nausea and pain; smooth transition to rehab
    2. The girls start full-time school tomorrow - Monday; smooth transition; new friends; new schedule
    3. For me to hold steadfast to Jesus - physically do not feel well; relinquish areas that I want to hold on to; be attentive to what God wants me to hear and learn through this time of rest

God wants us to depend on Him...for the big and the tiny details. He is what gets me through the rough spots. Thank you for being the hands and feet of Christ and faithful prayer warriors; it would be so much more difficult without all of you.

12. silverspot

1/6 Update... Almost Home!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 6:34 AM, PST

Ken has moved to his final stepping stone before coming home!

Yesterday, Ken was discharged from the hospital - and, with only 1 med! I was able to pick him up from the hospital and take him to rehab - he will be an inpatient for 1 week and then assess.

The neurosurgeon and rehab doctor were both absolutely amazed at his progress. The rehab doctor told Ken he was beyond their program!

Although he would have rather just come straight home, he understood that this program will prepare him to transition home and work. Starting today, he will have 6 hours of rehab that are more concentrated on occupational therapy and building stamina to get through a day.

Ken is in for a treat...he is going to really be working hard and be encouraged by the other clients and their stories. (Most are men that are similar in age to Ken) In addition, he will become responsible for his room - laundry, making the bed, etc. and his meals. I know that adding this responsibility and independence will be good for him and a huge part of the healing process.

We are hoping for a "field trip" home this weekend for a few hours. Because Ken was sick and then headed to surgery, we have not had a moment to celebrate Christmas together. I am sure that he would enjoy it too. We will assess over the next couple of days and see how he is doing...we are hopeful!

Revelations 5:13
    "Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: 'To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!'

Jesus Calling -
    "Do not be discouraged by the fact that many of your prayers are yet unanswered. Time is a trainer, teaching you to wait upon Me, to trust Me in the dark...Instead of letting difficulties draw you into worrying, try viewing them as setting the scene for My glorious intervention."

This past week I have felt "in the dark"; that God clearly was asking me to just wait and trust. I still feel that way now about going through the process of chemo. The process is the absolute pits, but know that the time is well spent if my eyes are focused on Him. It is a strange place to go to - at first anxious about the unknown and then anxious about the known.

While I am waiting, trusting and going through life today, my heart chooses to give all praise and glory to God; to expect His intervention in a glorious way; to let go of the worry and anxiety; to use my time as a training ground that God has for me; to look for the opportunity to share the hope of Christ with another person. He gave all of us a story to share...

13. silverspot

1/11 Update

Monday, January 11, 2010 6:58 AM, PST

It was a great weekend at the Krieger house...Ken was able to come home for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday.

On Saturday, we went to lunch and celebrated Christmas together - Ken was the only one opening presents; we could not wait :) He navigated the restaurant and partnered with the girls to do a couple loads of laundry. (I am definitely ready for him to take back the laundry duties!) Sunday, Ken's parent came down to visit and we enjoyed our time together.

It was wonderful to have the opportunity to be home together and begin the transition process. I imagine it is very similar for military families when a spouse is gone and then returns. While they are gone, you have learned to function in a different manner than when they are home - it is different when the responsibilities are moved to one rather than shared by two.

This will be a busy week for both of us...I will be having chemo on Tuesday and anticipate being "quiet" for 4-5 days afterwards. Over the next couple of days, our insurance will be deciding on whether Ken will stay an inpatient for one more week or move to outpatient. If he moves to outpatient, he would be coming home Wednesday late afternoon. And, on Wednesday, Ken will see Dr. Massoudi and get his staples out.

Colossians 4:2
    "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."

Jesus Calling:
    "When you bring Me prayer requests, lay out your concerns before Me. Speak to Me candidly; pour out your heart. Then thank Me for the answers that I have set into motion long before you can discern results. When your requests come to mind again, continue to thank Me for the answers that are on the way"

Relinquishment...
    Am I willing to let go of the control and trust God?
    Do I recognize the need to relinquish even the "small stuff"?

It is my response, both in prayer and in my heart that speaks to my love for God. It is my receptivity to His love that allows me to let go fully.

Today, God has the answers to my anxiety, tension, uncertainty, and questions. He knew this day was coming. He set into motion the answers long before it was a thought in my head. I have given Him the reins to my day...

Thanking God for you and knowing that He has your answers in motion, too

14. silverspot

1/18 Update

Monday, January 18, 2010 9:16 AM, PST

It has been a week since I have updated, and it feels like a really long time. I think that it is from living each day in the moment and a little bit of "chemo brain" :)

God was busy answering prayers this past week...
    1. Ken was approved for inpatient for an additional week (through Wed., Jan. 20)
    2. My white count was good enough that I did not have to take "those shots" this time...

And, God gave us a bonus...
    Ken came home Saturday afternoon and spent the night with us girls.

Ken and I were able to have our "coffee date" for the first time in four months. The conversation changed focus - it was not about downloading the past week and looking at the next week. It was quieter; just sitting together and being.

We sat and played PayDay together and Ken beat us all - some of us by a whole lot! He commented that it was good therapy for him; we made him the banker :) It was good for all of us to see how much he has not "changed" and those things that are different may only be here for a time; if not, that is okay too.

We were able to enjoy the company of friends Saturday night with dinner and conversation. It looked and felt so much like life before Ken's accident and yet, we had all been impacted and changed. Life has a different perspective...our heart perspective is looking through a different set of lenses. The road to get there is no walk in the park and I know it is not done yet, but God is faithful and continues to encourage us with glimpses of Him at work.

Sunday we went to church together. Ken was emotionally overwhelmed at the outpouring of our church family. It felt so good to be there together and it gave Ken a window to see how our church family, here and extended, have enveloped us with the hands and feet of Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:17-18
    "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

We love you and thank God for you!

15. denmother

1/20 Update

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:00 AM, PST

117 days after the accident...KEN IS HOME!!!

Yesterday afternoon, after the tornado watch ended, I picked up Ken from Winways. He is now home and continuing with outpatient therapy.

The girls and Jill cooked dinner (lots of people in the kitchen) and we were able to eat dinner together at our kitchen table. It was an exciting marker in time and one that we have been waiting for.

With our exciting news comes a couple of specific prayer requests and praises:

1. The insurance has not approved the outpatient therapy. Winways director is willing to continue therapy as we work to figure out the finances. Pam has been very generous and understanding to our unique family situation. Please thank God for putting her and Winways on our path and that the finance situation will be remedied.

2. Join us in thanking God for the church body and Ken's office that are driving Ken to and from therapy Monday through Friday. He would not be able to continue without them - you are a blessing!

3. Our transition to a new "normal" home life - at least for awhile. We are merging two different schedules/needs. We will all need to adjust and refit our puzzle together again. For the girls specifically, please pray for understanding and grace. Dad is so much the same, but his non-emotional response, need for quieter environment, physically slow moving, and brain tiredness are different than before. His brain still has 20 more months of the healing process and we will be adjusting right along with it.

This morning, going through the daily devotional for the sermon application and reading Jesus Calling, I was struck by a couple of thoughts:

1 Corinthians 13:7 "It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." ('It' is referring to love - 1 Corinthians 13:4-6)

Have I shown my love for Ken that way?
    Has my journey been an example of true love; Christ's love for us?

Jesus Calling:
    "On the days when your plans are thwarted, be on the lookout for Me! I may be doing something important in your life, something quite different from what you expected. It is essential at such times to stay in communication with Me, accepting My way as better than yours."

So I admit, my plans were thwarted September 24th and again in December. I know that God is doing something important in my life - He has given me the opportunity to be a student of Him. I do not know the outcome, but there is peace through the process when you allow Him to refine and you are a willing student.

I wish He had chosen a different method; it was beyond unexpected. My response, no matter what the circumstances and no matter who the person is/people are, needs to be rooted in love (1 Corinthians 13:4-7).

It is a tough response to have, much less have it consistently. But, today ask God to change your response to people and circumstances; make your response His...today, it is my spot of refinement.

16. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

engineer - AI, some robotics
    Please know that y'all are in my thoughts and prayers. Though we've never met, I am deeply touched by the story of your family. It has really helped me to put some things in perspective... which I think most of us need to do from time to time. I don't feel so bad that I was up last nite with a feverish baby or that my three year old pinched a loaf on the hallway floor or that my wrist still hurts a little from a getoff three months ago. I feel sort of dumb, all of a sudden, getting bunged up about such things.

Know that y'all are not alone in that so many are with you in thoughts and prayers.

17. silverspot

1/31 Update...

Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:43 AM, PST

It has been awhile since I have updated - mostly due to our transition time and having chemo last Tuesday. The second chemo of the month is the hardest adjustment for my body and mind; it takes everything (mind, body, and soul) for me to walk through it.

Ken is continuing on with therapy at Winways. They continue to bless our family with not only the therapy program, but their willingness to come alongside us while we figure out the finances to pay for it - insurance only agreed to pay for last week. Please continue to pray for this specific situation and thank God for their willingness to continue therapy in faith.

Ken has reached a point where we are seeing slow progression; it reminds me of the plateaus that everyone told me about. The progress is there, but just in slow motion - no giant leaps or bounds. He will have another CT Scan later this week and we will be meeting with Dr. Massoudi at the end of the month. This is where the waiting really begins - it is a time to continue building physical stamina to get him through a whole day without tiring out and mental stimulation without "shutting down".

I have had several people mention that I should start my own page or just rename this one to "Krieger Family" - renaming is not that easy on the site. Honestly, I have struggled with adding myself into the mix. Being who I am, I have to ask myself "why" and "what is my fear"? God and I are still in discussion about this one. I will let you know how it turns out - I feel a little bit like an onion; God keeps peeling the layers :)

I will continue to update on Ken - at this point, it will be minimal as we work across our plateau, and I will begin to share more of my own journey.

Psalm 56:3-4
    "When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?"

18. denmother

3/1 Update

Monday, March 1, 2010 9:06 AM, PST

Here is the latest...

Ken
    Last Thursday we saw Dr. Massoudi and were able to get a better idea of our road for the next few months. Ken has a area of fluid under the craniectomy that the doctor is going to watch. He will repeat the CT Scan in 3 months and then follow up with Dr. Massoudi. Secondly, Ken was referred to a Neurologist for follow up and to get an EEG test. This test will show if there is any hidden electrical issues in his brain. He has not had any seizures and is off all medication, but they can be hiding :)

For Ken, the exciting news is that he is able to get a driving evaluation done and can return to work part-time. We are working through the details, as he has shoulder issues, mainly his left and will need to see a shoulder specialist. After almost two months of physical therapy it has not improved.

"He is a walking miracle. The way he came in to where he is now is an absolute miracle" (Dr. Massoudi at our appointment)

We are still walking through transitions and melding our puzzle back together. It looks the same on the outside, but we are moving towards our new "normal" as we adjust to different thinking patterns and holding onto short term memory.

Kris
    I have made it to the half way point in my chemo and I still have some hair left on my head :)

I will have a PET Scan done sometime at the end of March so they can see what the chemo has done to the tumor. I imagine at that point I will have a better idea about the radiation treatments.

The chemo is definitely killing cells - especially those white ones. I am consistently very low in my white counts. So, it is looking like I get to have "those shots" every chemo treatment. Cannot say that I am thrilled, but at least Jill is here to administer them - it is rather unsettling to give them to yourself; I have, and it gave me lots of angst and some funny stories.

Prayer Requests
    1. God's perfect timing with the details of driving and working.
    2. Keeping the family details of life moving forward (dr. appts., homework, finances, etc.)
    3. God's plan for our new normal
    4. Physical endurance for the second half of chemo

Thank you for your words of encouragement and prayers throughout our journey. When I initially wrote that it was going to be long, I had no idea what

19. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Thanks for posting this Nancey. I had been wondering how they were doing.

20. denmother

No problem. I signed up to get the journal updates so I could help Silverspot keep this thread updated. ;)