Road Commutes

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by CarbonLegs, Dec 3, 2013.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

You get used to it.....or maybe not.

I don't mind riding in traffic, so doesn't bother me.

2. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    I commute from 17th Street Costa Mesa to Irvine about once a week. The worst stretch for me is along 17th, I just try to go fast and stay over to the side.

3. Flomaster

Flomaster New Member

I sell Fire Hydrants
    so I posted a photo of my bike in the office today on Facebook after riding my bike into work and a "Friend" commented and said "Pavement needs smooth tires" that got me thinking about tires.
    here's my route: http://www.strava.com/activities/109751558 from Orange to Santa Ana mostly via the SART its 9 miles each way. If I were to go Tubless it would be a pain in the ass to swap from a street tire to my trail trail tires, If I stay with tubes I can change tires easily, but then I run the risk is having to change flats in route to work. I could get a second set of wheels with street tires on them, but for the money I might as well just buy a cheapo commuter bike at that point.

-=Jason=-

4. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    Some cheap slicks would make the commute a little easier, not needed but nice. I have used my road and mtb to commute and the mtb added about 5 minutes.

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors Climbing > desending

2015 Giant XTC
    Or you can do what I do...just accept that you're getting a better workout and ride the trail tires.

As an aside, I've come to the conclusion that I wear out my tires fast enough that tubeless is not an option.

6. Flomaster

Flomaster New Member

I sell Fire Hydrants
    so far so good I've been getting about 3 days a week in on the bike riding to work. I'll see how this set of tires holds up before I make any decisions. I am waiting for an attachment to fit my air hose so I can fill the presta stems with the core out to better inflate my tires when I do the tubeless conversion.

I have a blinky red light on the seat post, a $31 amazon 3 Cree LED head lamp that is freaking bright, and another head light the same im going to wear on my Bell Super helmet.

-=Jason=-

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors Climbing > desending

2015 Giant XTC
    I'm probably going to commute again this Friday, and then after the DST shift I'll be doing it a couple times a week. I have a 16 mile commute; the interesting part is that it's a 45-55 minute drive depending on traffic, and a 1 hour bike ride. Basically Knott's to downtown Long Beach.

8. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

most bike shops sell an adapter you put on the presta valve itself vice the compressor side. costs about $1.50. That's what I use on my 2bliss tires with my compressor. I have an extra set of 29er Easton wheels (non-2bliss) I might be willing to part with. I've been keeping them as a backup set since I upgraded, but haven't used them once and it's been almost two years. I'll have to look and see exactly which ones they are to see if they are compatible with your bike. I know they are Quick Release not thru-axle, and don't have rotors or a rear cog.