Road bike suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by scottywc, Jul 2, 2013.

1. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    I'm sure this thread has been started about 100 times already, but I'm thinking of adding a road bike to my stable. Don't need to be anything fancy, I'm not planning on racing. Just something to ride when the dirt isn't calling as well as something to use on my wife's trainer, when she's not using it...

I don't mind getting a quality frame with crappy components that I can slowly upgrade as needed. My budget is about $1,500, and lower is always better...

I've looked online at Trek, Giant, & Scott. Scott looks to have the best lower end options. How are their bikes? I will got to the LBS and try stuff out before buy of course.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Well, we're not going to be talking about downhill performance, the rear triangle durability for mega downhill hits, the merits of single or dual pivot suspension design, head tube angle for technical ascents vs gnarly downs.... Dude, I'd just try and find a carbon frame bike, ON SALE, by any of the above that feels nice when you pedal it around the parking lot. We MTBers have much higher expectations out of our bikes than all but the most elite pro roadies.

Also, consider a cyclocross bike.

In my personal opinion, at the price range level for what you'd be getting, I like the SRAM gruppo (I think it's Apex) over the Shimanno equivalent. But both are quite good these days.

Happy hunting.

3. doubleoh7

doubleoh7 Called to Creation

Self Employed
    Home Page:
    I would recommend Giant bikes. I have the Defy Comp 3 and love it as a Road Bike Option. Like you my primary bike is the MTB. The Defy Comp is carbon and the level 3 comes with Shimano Tiagra, not something you will need to upgrade any time soon. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/defy.composite.3/11497/55818/ Go see the guys at Fullerton Bikes - great pricing and they will get you dialed in :D

4. TranceRider

TranceRider No, I don't Ride a GIANT

IT Project Manager
    Lots of sale items available at MVP Cycle Center (http://www.mvpcycle.com/sales), demo bikes going for almost 50% off in some cases. I personally liked to demo the Felt Z2, as its frame is a lot like a MTB frame and it's great for longer rides - not all the bumps in the road get transferred to my spine...

Now if I can only AFFORD a bike like that! #-o

5. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    Cannondale! Some of their alluminum bikes are on par with some companys low end carbon bikes. Really comftorable stiff frames and affordable options.

6. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

All of the brands mentioned make great bikes in your price range.
    The Specialized Allez Comp Mid Compact is a great bike. Excellent handling and the component spec has a little 105 in the mix (105 is great stuff). I have an aluminum Allez and love it... however, Specialized no longer has a version of the aluminum Allez with the carbon-fiber seat stays (really helps smooth out the ride).
    Check out the Jamis Ventura Race... aluminum frame with carbon fork AND seatstays. $1350 MSRP. If you want a phenomenal, state of the art aluminum frame and don't mind the stiffness, checkout the Jamis Icon Pro, only $1600 with 105 components.

7. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

At your budget, I'd choose an aluminum frame with 105 parts.

8. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    For a road bike, I'd consider used (and I did, although I bought it from a friend, which makes a lot of difference). But road bikes don't usually take the abuse that an mtb does, and you can get a nice carbon frame with 105 or better components in your price range. Demo bikes should be coming up for sale pretty soon, too.

9. obfsk8r

obfsk8r New Member

You could get a racing bike, but if you're not racing there may be better choices. One thing I'd do is look into a road frame that accepts long-reach calipers to gain flexibility with respect to tire size. For example, the first Salsa Casseroll fit 32's easily with fenders, so you could use it as a road bike or a light touring/commuting bike, or even on dirt paths. The bike industry is starting to wake up to the advantages of building in real tire clearance on road bikes, so choices abound.

The cyclocross bike suggestion is a good one, though cx bikes generally have higher bottom brackets than dedicated road bikes, so the handling may be less than ideal. They also usually have cantilever brakes for mud clearance--IMO not quite as user friendly as a good caliper.

10. Salter77

Salter77 OMGWAFJ...

HMFIC
    Cannondale Caad 10!

11. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I sm very happy with the road bike I purchased. A Raliegh Revinio 4.0. Picked it up for 1250. All 105 with carbon fork. Aluminum and carbon composite frame. Add a good wheel set and you have a great bike. With carbon bars, stem and seat post it down to 17 lbs.

12. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I agree with 105 components, or SRAM Rival like I have on my Cannondale Synapse. The SRAM Apex is pretty good too - 2013 Apex is probably as good as my 2010 Rival stuff. I tested one Cannondale with a full 105 build vs the same frame with some lower-grade components including Tektro brakes that were rubbish. I could put up with some low-end components, but I think you should at least hold out for 105- or Rival-level brakes. The added control will make riding a lot more fun.

Personally though, I wouldn't want to ride an aluminum frame - even with carbon stays, fork, & seatpost - for anything more than maybe 20 or 25 miles. My body gets unhappy in a hurry with all the road chatter that aluminum transmits. Personally, I'd either try to find a closeout or used deal on carbon or go with a steel frame. The other benefit of steel is that the lower cost leaves more in your budget to upgrade components, especially wheels (super-important!).

13. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. Looks like I have some research to do!

14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors Climbing > desending

2015 Giant XTC
    I have a Cannondale Synapse 5 105...aluminum frame/carbon fork. I have no problem at all riding it over 100 miles at shot. I highly recommend it. MSRP is just under $1,500, I'm sure you can find one cheaper.

15. WC-Rider

WC-Rider New Member

With that budget of $1500 go for the Cannondale Caad10 with Shimano 105 all. I own one and love it!!!!

16. allroy71

allroy71 Member

touching people
    Home Page:
  17. emr88

emr88 New Member

nerd
    take a look at the Giant Defy Composite series, they are highly rated and well priced

18. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    Carbon frames might be nice, but titanium is forever.
    Check around and keep an eye out for a nice 2nd hand titanium road frame. I love how the Ti frame rides with a carbon fork, carbon seat post, carbon seat rail and saddle shell, and carbon drop bars. Snappy, yet damped.
    If you are fortunate to find a nice one in good shape within your budget, then it's worth the wait and the trouble.

19. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

For $1,500 I'd look for a last year model bike. Should be able to get full carbon and 105 or Apex on it.

I noticed Incycle and Velo Pasadena are having 4th of July sales on most of the their bikes. Might be a good time to stop in.

20. Congo Kid

Congo Kid Middle Aged Wannabe MTB'r

Commercial Real Estate Executive
    If you're just getting into road riding, I'd recommend going used. You can get some great components out there.
    Craigslist has some good stuff. I bought a Specialized Tarmac Carbon with Ultegra components for about 30% of what the bike cost new, and it was barely used. You can get a nice used bike that was $3-$4K new for $1,500.

Patience, and patrolling Craigslist every few days and you'll find something nice. Good luck.

Jeff