rider down

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by LBmtb, Dec 30, 2005.

1. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Jared, (pahika on here) had a bad crash today at Turnbull and chances are it was a concussion. Jose and I were there also. Jared was airlifted to USC University Hospital. He was obviously really scared, but I think he'll be ok.

I'll be going to see him there tomorrow morning, assuming he's still there. If anyone wants to go also give me a call at 562-235-2618.

For those familiar about Turnbull - it happened going down the 3 B*tches. Right at the bottom where it starts to get a bumpy. My guess was that he carried too much speed down to that last section on his stumpy hardtail. From the position of his body and bike my best guess was that he went OTB. The section isn't that technical, but it is a fast section (about 35-40mph). Nobody actually saw the crash since he was the tail.

I might upload the pictures from the ride later tonight.

2. mikecsulb

mikecsulb New Member

student
    Home Page:
    The Ride.

That is definatley a downer and something I wish on no one. To be honest I always have the notion in the back of my head of what if.... Main divide in the Santa Ana's Relatively speaking is pretty far away from quick emergency care. However , I do have medical insurance but wonder if it covers a Heliocopter rescue. Mountain Biking is a dangerous sport, What makes it the most dangerous is the remote areas a lot of us ride. On that note, safe riding to all.

3. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Yeah def.

Turnbull Canyon is in Whittier, making emergency care easily accessible. Firefighters and helicopter all got there quickly after the 911 call.

Should serve as a good reminder to wear helmets, ride with others, and carry cell phones.

Looking at his helmet, there didn't appear to be any damage on it, but if he had fallen head first I'm sure the helmet would have been very much appreciated.

4. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

Man, this is really bad, I feel bad for anyone that goes down like that.

Going down the 3 bitches at a high rate of speed can be deceiving to the eyes as to how bumpy it is. my fastest run down that stretch is 43.6 mph and it was scary. On a hardtail, i can see how you'd get tossed if you don't have your weight back enough. i rode Turnbull for 14 years on a hardtail, so i know how you can get unexpectedly beat up.

5. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Get well

Get well soon Jared. Good excuse to go full suspension now.

C

6. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Re: Get well

That's if the wife let's him ride again 8-[

7. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

A full suspension bike with lots of travel would have defintely been safer. I rode rattlesnake, Worsham Canyon, and a few other single tracks at Turnbull last week on a single speed with a rigid fork, and I could see that there were a lot of areas that could have lead to a crash.

8. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Full Suspension makes it easier to do 5 foot hucks.

I hope Pakiha gets well soon.

9. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    That's a scary situation. I'm sure he was glad he had friends with him that day. I hope Jared mends up real quick.

10. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    YIKES! Get well soon man!

11. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

:clap:

hey people!!! good news. few hours ago I got a call from Jared reporting he's doing well and has left the hospital!! it looks like nothing crazy happen to his head and no broken bones. He will report later on today when he gets to his computer. Wish I had my camera there b/c the landing of the chopper was freaking KICK ASS!! \:D/ We took a picture of the event for everyone to enjoy :D

btw it looks like his wife has not dropped the hammer yet!! :lol:

RIDE HARD and IF U FALL GET UP AND RIDE HARDER!! :beer:

12. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    AWESOME NEWS! \:D/

I knew he'd be ok - just a hard fall, shaken up, and a bit scared.

13. pshloss

pshloss New Member

Glad he is OK. I had a pretty bad fall about five or six years ago. Defintely slowed me down on the downhills after that. Especially ones I haven't been on before or haven't been on lately. All it takes is one new rut.

14. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Hard falls/injuries suck, but they are also an eye opener. I was riding by myself a few years ago on a weekday at Santiago Oaks at the top play area and I went over the bars on the drop. That's about all I remember, but a minute or two after I woke up (I'm assuming I was knocked out) I had a bad pain in my wrist and some blood on my face (not wearing a full face helmet). I managed to gather up my broken Oakley's with one lens missing and my bike just had a scratch on the brake lever. I decided the easiest way to get back to my car at Albertson's was to go back down the 3 b's. I rode mostly one handed because of the intense pain in my left wrist. A couple riders passed by on their way in and asked if I was ok, I said yeah I'm alright....just a sprained wrist. At that point I didn't know that the hole side of my face was bleeding  :lol:  I managed to get to my car and called my wife who came to get my bike since I couldn't even get the bike up onto my roof rack it hurt so bad. A trip to the ER and sure enough a broken wrist and 6 weeks off the bike.

Crashes are a good thing IMO, they make you more aware of the dangers of the sport and to not try stupid things if your skill levels aren't up to par. But even sometimes freak things cause accidents, so it isn't always a judgement error. Just be carefull because one mistake can leave you unable to ride your bike for quite some time. Also having someone riding with you is always a good idea.

Hope you feel better soon Jared and are able to ride again soon!

15. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

Good advice Rob. A few weeks ago, I was riding Fullerton Loop backwards at night -- as I bombed down some single track, I didn't see a rut, and flew over the bars. Luckily, I wasn't injured much besides bloody legs and arms, but it was a gnarly crash.

It's also a good idea to learn to roll with a fall when you endo or get thrown off of a bike. It could potentially save you from injury.

16. TurboJared

TurboJared Overstimulated

Affiliate Program Manager
    Home Page:
    WAHOOO!!

First off I want to give a huge thanks to Jose and George for helping me, and anyone who has left comments of encouragement. I came too in the Hospital last night and found out what had happened. After all the CT scans and two sets of xrays I was cleard to leave at 9 this morning. Judging by how sore my left side is I am GUessing thats where I landed, and landed hard. The worst part of this whole experiance is not remembering the helicopter ride :-s, and what happened, but that I am sure that will come back shortly. I had the idea when Jose called earlier that morning that it would be better to take my wife's bike and take it easy (boy was I wrong) Next time I go the 5' travel Liquid w/ Disc brakes is deffinatly comming with me. As for the misses she's just glad that everything is ok and that I didn't get hurt worse. I don't suspect "the hammer" will be falling cause she knows this is all part and parcell of the whole biking gig. I'd also like to take this momment to plug just how important helmets are as well as pads. I have what looks like three parallel bruses on my head from the helmet the doctor said that that saved my life, and my cognitive thinking ability. in the pic Jozer posted of me you can see the Fox 911 pads and belive you me as bashed up as I am it is soo nice to have legs to move on without fear of pain. Thanks again to everyone.

BTW I figure since I ate it on the 3 B*tches, I have officially been B*tch slapped. \:D/

I'll post wounds, and aftermath pics in a bit!!

17. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

"bitch slapped!" hilarious! Glad to hear you doing okay.

18. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    :clap: Great to hear that your OK (as ok as can be expected)! Yeah that sucks about not remembering the helicopter ride - it was a pretty awesome copter you rode in.

But ya - great thing about this is that I think everyone got a reality check about the dangers and precautions we should take AND you ended up ok. :wave:

19. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

TRUE THAT!! :clap:

in a diff note!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I have a few drinks on me!! YAAYY!!!! 8)

lets RIDE HARD NEXT YEAR!! Thnks to all the cool people in the trails and on the page!! Thank YOu George for comming up w/a Kick Ass PAge where all these different people can join and share the maddness of Moutain Biking!! :beer: :beer: :beer:

I promise to ride more next year!! :bang: how about u? :-k :D

20. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

My New Year's Resolution: RIDE MORE