Revo in Dana Point

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by slowSSer, Feb 22, 2008.

1. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    anyone have any information?

just curious- they've got a part time position open that i might like to fill, but i have zero information about the shop.

thanks.

2. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Perhaps Rob (username Rob) will chime in. He works (or worked?) there.

3. G-Ride

G-Ride New Member

Revo is a decent shop. They recently moved across PCH to the old Rib Trader building. It's a lot bigger, and they also opened a capuccino bar in the shop. They carry a lot of MTB lines, but I would say there is probably more roadie biz there. Good shop, good vibe.

4. el cap

el cap Active Member

There are good guys working there. They are always helpful when I have bike questions. I have not checked out the new shop, but I hear good things.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  5. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    It's a cool shop to go to if you don't need anything from niche brands that you would find at the Path. They are not that kind of bike store. Revo does high end stuff, but does not stock stuff like Paul, Phil Wood, White Ind., Industry Nine, body Armor, DH stuff, Forks, or a good selection of MTB clothes. They do have good coffee though :) And from a business standpoint, due to their Local, and customers, it's not a bad way of doing things, they probably wouldn't sell that cool stuff, it would just sit there.

Mark, and Greg are really good guys, they're in sales and they are cool people.

I was working in service, along with Mike the Service manager, but I quit, and he's going back to do his own business, so not sure who the next service guys will be and how good they are, so I can't comment much on service. They do have ALL the tools any bike shop would need so that is good, so if the service manager they hire is good, I don't see a problem getting service work done there, they are honest with the pricing.

6. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    thanks to all for the good information. shot them an email on their general email address- hopefully they get back to me.

I guess that this might be a better location for me as I'm basically dumb when it comes to working on full squish bikes. setting up gears seems to be a forte. rebuilding forks isn't a forte. :lol:

7. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

Just my 2 cents. Went there twice over a span of a couple of months to demo a Titus. The people I talked to were very nice and said they didn't have any demo bikes but they took my name and number and said they would contact me when a bike was available. No one ever called. I bought a different bike somewhere else.

I'm guessing they sell mainly Specialized bikes.

8. ArrrKelly

ArrrKelly New Member

Closest shop to my house so I'll go there for the basics and. Funny what Rob said about the owner. He is kind of a tool. Definately not into bikes but fronts like he is and that has always cracked me up.

9. Rob

Rob Active Member

Mike is still there for a little bit, and he knows a lot about suspension. I would just rec. calling and asking for Mike and see what he can do for you.

Otherwise, Garageworks is the place to go for suspension work.http://www.garageworkssuspension.com/

10. ryandood

ryandood i ride bikes

Student
    Cool shop that is really nice and has a cafe! Never actually seen anyone getting coffee so who knows how that's goin... They are generally helpful but I sometimes get a bad vibe there, just not as welcoming as other shops maybe. But they carry the derailleur hanger I need!...

11. 1TrackMind

1TrackMind Member

Sales
    I was looking to buy a bike for my wife back in Sept. They had an 08 Rockhopper Disk priced at the 07 clearance price. I told them I wanted it and the owner tried to switch the price on me. He was a total a$$. I would not have bought a bike from them if it was not for the great price...and even that was a mistake! Cool shop though...just wrong person running it.

12. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

personal trainer
    Ive been there a few times. There is one guy with longer hair that rides SS, He is cool , very helpful.

Other than that my experiences have not been very good. They seem to be a little overpriced on everything. I went in there a few weeks ago to have a headset removed from a frame, there were no customers, but atleast 3 employees and the owner, and they said they were all backed up and I would have to leave the frame for a few days.

The owner is a pain, but he makes me laugh too. Acts like he really knows what he is taliking about.
    This is just my observation and experiences.

13. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    I'm sorry- knocking a headset out of a frame (steel, ti, aluminum- no idea on carbon) takes almost no time at all. but maybe that's just me...

14. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico New Member

personal trainer
    I agree, I just need to invest in the tool. I almost asked them if they would let me use their tool and do it myself.

15. Red Hot Sloth

Red Hot Sloth Banned

Sounds like Amazon Bikes in Oceanside
    TooooooL:wave:

16. Rob

Rob Active Member

If I was still there I would have busted it out on the spot for you. It takes like a whole 25 seconds.

They need to re-evaluate their thinking.

17. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Ugh. I haven't officially picked my bike back up from them but heres the story:

Sent my bike into Revo for a free tuneup. When I was there I specifically asked if they were going to tighten up the rear hub to get ride of the play and the manager (I believe) said it would be taken care of. A few days later on Thursday I get a call that the maintenence is being performed but I need a new derailluer. No biggy. Then I call them and ask if I brought my own derailluer if it would cost anything and the mechanic says no- he'll install it for free, no charge. So instead of paying the shop price which was $102 for a new one, I ordered one up online for $76. Dropped it off at the shop yesterday. Today I get a call that the tuneup is finished but the derailluer install would be $20. If I have to pay $20, I might've just as well bought the derailluer from the shop and had my bike back for 5-days of missed riding. If I have to pay $20 and the hubs aren't tightened... I'm never buying or visiting Revo ever again. Two strikes.

[/Rage] (Mad because I'm a student, I don't have money; I just got money yesterday for my birthday and would like to spend it on other things instead of retarded things that they said would be done for free. Also my I bought my bike from there. They should be taking care of me. If they don't want to- I can just buy my bikes from RnR, it may cost a little more, but they're more than willing to go out of their way to take care of EVERYTHING.)

18. NitrOx

NitrOx Suspension Junkie

Suspension Junkie
    Tune up

Why not learn how to do it yourself?

In regard to Revo. I only went there because Mike was their mechanic. Mike actually taught me most of what I know about fixing bikes and riding them too.

Have you been to The Path?

19. Geronimo

Geronimo S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. member

I steal bikes
    It's too bad that free thing didn't work out. I have a coupon for a free oil change that's yours for the asking.

20. ryanzilla

ryanzilla Racer in Training

Home Page:
    this is what I think when most complain about service, etc. everyone could go back and forth forever, but theres no debate if you learn to do it yourself!