Ride Report Redlands University to Onyx Summit and back!

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by 1x1clyde, Feb 7, 2007.

1. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    RR: Redlands University to Onyx Summit and back!

Since I have signed up for the Breathless Agony I felt I had better check out some of the route!
    Needless to say I don't ride my road bike as much as I should- Its a beautiful Bianchi San Lorenzo at just under 16lbs- especially with a few centuries on the radar coming up.
    I clipped in pretty much at University and the 38 in Redlands and started in. It was pretty smooth and speedy to the Mill Creek Ranger station and then someone hit the brakes or should I say the very subtle and extremely lame uphill started!
    Pretty much the entire stretch of road to the turn at Forest Falls is uphill, my average speed went from 25 mph to 10 mph almost instantly! So after crawling on that road I finally made the turn up to Angelus Oaks. The views are spectacular right now, some snow on the trees, little waterfalls all over the place coming down the rock faces and having the sun out doesn't hurt either. The fun really began now, essentially 7-9 mph for 50 minutes. Keep in mind I am using a standard ring set-up front a 53x39 with a 12-25 in the back:)
    Once to Angelus Oaks I knew I would get a little break on the climbing so back into the big ring and off to Barton Flats. I got there pertty quick and then started hitting the rollers to South Fork and then the nastiness to Onyx Summit!
    Now the real climbing started and again back down to 7-9 mph for the next 90 minutes, I don't think it ever once got flat. When I hit the 8000 ft elevation sign I knew the steep climbs up to the Summit were around the corner and they were waiting for me....by now I was on my 3rd Gu and running out of H2O.
    I pretty much just stood up and climbed in a 39x25 gear and once I hit the Summit is was Clif Bar time and I treated myself to a rest stop. Not once up the 38 did I quit pedaling, I wanted to know if I could do it without dying and if the Fixie could make it up too!
    The way down only took about 1 hour to Angelus Oaks - where I refilled on aqua at the Oaks- averaging 25-40 mph and then from Angelus Oaks all the way to the bridge it was 40+ and I enjoyed the coasting and having the road to myself...sometimes!
    All in all I am beat but it was killer. My Polar has some good stats:
    Avg Heart rate- 144 bpm for 5 hours and 2 minutes!
    Around 74 Miles, it kept loosing contact with the sensor
    6720 ft of climbing
    AVg temp- 61 degrees
    Avg Altitude - 6010
    Cadance Avg- 56 -ouch!! Cadance Max was 157!!
    Avg Speed - 13.1 mph - Max Speed - 48.6 mph
    I love my toys!
    Sorry for the long-winded story but I had to share, it was too painful and too rowdy coming back down the 38 to keep to myself!:lol:

2. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I've done that ride twice before and you amaze me with how you did it. I too wanted to do the whole thing without a break and I did, but my friends who took a break passed me before we got to Onyx. We had a regroup at the summit and had to wait a while for some of the other riders that day and we took a total of 7 hours 15 minutes to do the ride. I was still tired a week later. I did hit over 46 on the descent which was my fastest ever on a bike at that time, but the road is a little more chewed up then I like for speeds over 40. You got to let me know when you're going to be doing these sadistic rides.

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Neil, at what elevation did you hit snow?

4. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Hey Dean,

It was virtually after the first pitch up, so around 4k? I checked out the SART as best I could as far as I could see into the trees it looked pretty clear but who knows below the road? It got pretty frigid up over 6k, especially in the shade sections:bang:
    I think SART looked pretty good!!!!!