Race Report: Over the Hump Series Race #1

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Rollnstone, May 25, 2010.

1. Rollnstone

Rollnstone ...

You can't beat a MTB race that crosses a floating bridge. It was a lot safer than it looks. I don't believe anyone went in the water. The course is longer than last year, but faster.

Attached Files:

2. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    Had a blast! First mountain biking race, and I'd say all went well. Few notes.

Dust = asthma.

Trying to pass where it bottlenecks and failing just to cut in front of me = d-bag.

3. mxvet

mxvet New Member

my first time too. had a blast, but sucked wind (and dust). lesson learned: pace yourself

4. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

In advance of those who will inevitably complain about this, that, and the other that the race, course, setup did/didn't provide...think about it before you hit that "post" button.

Other races answer those complaints...go race there...this race series is what it is, you knew it, and came out anyway.

Its to have fun and for others to have fun...If you're one of those d-bags whose mission in life is to complain either here or on the course while trying to short-cut a singletrack section to pass a kid finishing up his first race...take it somewhere else.

Great race, great vibe, 99.9% of the riders were polite, well-mannered, and even some joking-smack talk.

I pegged the line for riders in the water at 4.5 given how choked some portions of the course can be with people overtaking each other...anyone go in the drink on the bridge?

5. davidB

davidB Active Member

First of all, who were the photographers out there? (someone has to ask)

I got to the registration desk at 5:45 #-o

Got to the back of the 3 and 4 guys (Sport 1 and 2) and was pretty annoyed at that because of how many people I'd have to initially get around. This turned out to be a blast in that first mile as I moved to the very front with a couple other riders. Talk about getting the adrenaline going, knowing there were 75+ riders on your tail. I only wish I could have stayed up that far ahead. I finished with 8th out of 27 @ 50min/30sec.

I dropped my chain after smaking into a rock, got held up by a couple youngins on the last lap which costs me a position, but who cares, that venue and race is what racing should be like more often. :bang:

highlight of my pre race : running into CPATCRASH aka Pat and asking him when the last time he raced was. Turned out to be 1 year after I was born LOL

highlight of my race : I was side by side with a guy in another class all along the pavement as we approached the bridge. Neither one of us moved as we took that turn in front of the crowd. We hit the bridge pretty fast going 2 wide. It was pretty nuts, then we commented to each other how awesome that was. Not sure I'd try that again.

highlight of my post race : seeing a bunch of familiar faces racing different classes, some with their kids, some for their first race, etc.

Good times

6. chanson

chanson doepicshit.

Web Designer
    Just a few shots while I was out there spectating today. Great times to watch all different levels having fun and competing. Saw about 8 crashes in the 1 spot I was at, some minor and 1 scary one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. quikflip27

quikflip27 It Hurts So GOOD!

Working on my BS in Mech Eng.
    Chanson, I'm pretty sure I saw the "nasty" crash at that spot from behind. One guy OTB'd and the guy behind crashed into his bike. Hope they were both ok.
    All in all it was a very good time, not just the race but the pre and post race happenings. Just goes to show how awesome the Mtb community is, I had a blast! Hopefully there's more in store.

8. chanson

chanson doepicshit.

Web Designer
    Actually I missed that crash. That one happened a few minutes after I walked away. The one I saw was a lady go face first to the dirt and knock the wind out of herself on that same descent.

9. HighRevPhoto

HighRevPhoto New Member

Home Page:
    Here are a few shots from today, had a good time out there. I was the photog at the end of the water bridge on lap one, and the annoying guy hiking through last half of the course. I should have all my photos up in a few days, tried to get shots of as many as I could so sorry if I missed you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
  11. mwhigherground

mwhigherground Member

Home Page:
    Thanks to all who came out and raced. We look forward to getting better every week. Know this race is about you having fun...we sure are, and stoked to have racing in OC all summer long. Feel free to email us with constructive feedback, as we're always game to make it better.

Note on the dust: we did hit the course with the water truck and will do so every week, we just need to get the right timing and volume of water prior to race start...thanks for hangin in and all the killer photos. you can post them online too on our Facebook Page

Great volunteers, fun vibe, thanks to all involved, racers volunteers, sponsors...you all rock! Ransom took some killer photos, he'll post here too; along with http://highrevphoto.com who likely got a shot of most of tonight's racers.

12. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Wow! Talk about butterflies! I have never been a fan of races because I am very hard on myself and it's hard for me to have fun. But I decided, screw it and just went out with 3 expectations. First was not to throw up, second was to not be DFL and the third was to not get lapped by Willie. I succeeded in all three although not by much. I ended up 28th out of 33 (OK, four didn't show but I still wasn't last) with a time of 1:06. The men's sport 4 class is fast!

Willie ended up with 4th out of 7 with a time of 58 minutes.

Did I hate it, yes. Will I be back...... YES! I have to beat an hour dammit! :beer:

Oh yeah, as far as I remember the last time I raced in anything other than the Counting Coup was in about 1984.

Attached Files:

13. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Huge sport class, nobody wants to jump up to expert?

14. minhster

minhster DNF'd

i took close to 1500+ pictures last night. Too much to post up and I dont have my own site so post your race numbers and I'll post up your pic if I have it.

BTW, the kids class and all the parents that rode with their kids, you guys are INSPIRING!!! Awesome Awesome Awesome work to all the youngsters

15. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    My friend raced, 450, thanks =)

16. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Looks like those big wheels were slowing you down:lol::lol:
    nice job Pat!

Wish I could make the series but Poway to there is highly unlikely during the week, oh well!

Maybe Traci can get Maddie over there, I think Maddie would have fun crushing the boys;)

17. doulos

doulos New Member

Hey Minh - mine's 333

18. XCRider

XCRider Member

#263 in sport 4 - Thanks for being out there!!

19. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    Results are up! I am laaaaaast! Not unexpected, but I kept up a lot better than I had hoped. See everyone there next week!

20. davidB

davidB Active Member

262! :beer: