R.I.P. - List your old bikes here! What did you start on? What bikes do you miss?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CruIsRad!, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Picking up where I left off:
    RIP, Joker:
    [​IMG]

Long live the '08 Speshy Pitch::bang:
    [​IMG]

2. wrxkid

wrxkid Kiet

scientist, Virus surveillance
    My first bike was a No-name brand from the swap meet.
    Second: a couple of Huffy 21 speeds.
    Then a 2000 Univega Ds1400 (supergo special blowout, First Fully squish)
    Then 1998 Specialized Max Backbone? <-----first tast of awesomeness
    Then 2001 GT DHi<-----first taste of DH lovin. Never raced, tore ACL snowboarding
    Then 2001 Specialized Hardrock <-----First bike I built myself.
    Sold the DHi for a 2002 Giant AC2<------first ever 4-bar link.
    Now, 2007 Kona Coilair Supreme <-------Plush warehouse.
    Next, Back to DH lovin!

3. Blueman

Blueman New Member

I'll keep this list to MTB bike. My first was a '85 Raliegh Elkhorn with bullmoose bars. I then moved on to a GT Karakaram, which was a real Gary Turner GT and to this day is the best handling bike I every rode. I rode that bike for street and fireroad riding for 5 years until it was stolen. I then bought a Nishiki Alien (about 1990) with the high chain stays and cool square aluminum frame tubes. I had the alien for about ten years until it too was stolen. Next, after not riding for a few years, I bought a Firmstrong Londale off the internet for $280 bucks. Full suspension and 35lbs. I was able to keep that bike running for a full year and about 1800 miles, including three differnet trips to Big Bear to do the ski lift thing. Now I ride a GT iDrive 4. I wish I still had the Karakaram, it would make a great fully ridgid SS.

4. Kpeony

Kpeony Domestic Floral Goddess

Florist, 25 years
    Are you kidding me? First of all, how old are all you people and second, who's financing all these bikes (not to mention where the HECK are you keeping them). I thought I was a bike hog until some of these lists came out.

Hmmm OK here's my SHORT list :lol:

Can't remember childhood - something pink I think with a banana seat
    Dad's roadbike
    My own "Electric Blue" road bike for my paper route (stolen with my surfboard and wetsuit)
    Schwinn Cruiser (sold to purchase first MTB)
    96' GT LTS-3 - had for 7 months then sold for:
    97' GT LTS-1 - Still have, rode for 10 years (yes - 10 YEARS , I love that bike), until it was impossible to find parts and my TA friends threatened to vote me off the island until I got a new bike.
    98' GT Road Bike - damn heavy ironhorse paperweight thing
    07' Specialized Carbon Stumpjumper - my new fav ride!

See you out there!

5. EBasil

EBasil Member

Home Page:
    I grew up in the foothills of the far west San Fernando Valley, and my first bike was a Sears 24", banana seated bike that my Dad upgraded with a cool-ass sissy bar that had spring suspension. It looked cool and worked on dirt roads.

My second bike was a Free Spirit 10-speed that ultimately had knobby 1" tires and the bars flipped for the ultimate in West Valley all-arounder bike style. We rode trails regularly, and I learned to true wheels since the craptastic steel rims would bend regularly.

There were various road bikes and, when Specialized published the ad for the Stumpjumper, I converted a Rampar roadie into an "mtb" after I realized I could never afford a Stumpy. It sucked.

In 1988, my roommate bought a used Rockhopper with a rainbow fade paintjob and she and her boyfriend convinced me to ride a borrowed bike from our place in Del Mar-ish to Los Pen. I was a fit trail runner and they crushed me into quivering submission while I pedaled a too-small, 35lb bike with a rock hard seat. We rode trails I'd buzzed around on a trailbike with and Los Pen was pretty damn fine other than the angry dude in the white truck... Cobblestone was jeep road width all the way down, but the bike sucked and wasn't very fun. I went back to trail running.

In 1990, after we returned from a backpacking trip that clearly established my girlfriend's dislike for walking, she suggested we get mountainbikes. I got a '90 Fisher Montare with full LX and badass, ultra short, elevated chainstays. I upgraded it to a Manitou 1 a year later.

My next bike was an elevated chainstay Alpinestars Al-Mega very similar to the Fisher. That wound up receiving a Manitou 2 and a King headset but was broken in an auto accident as we left the '93 Cactus Cup.

My next bike was a Manitou HT built with the XTR, King and Manitou 2 from the Alpinestars, but I added the sweetest wheelset by Earl Ball at Blacksmith. It got a Manitou 3 and SweetWings cranks before the headtube cracked and they sent a new frame. Round 2 of the HT got a Mach 5 with ti springs. Then it got a 100mm Black...with a Ti spring. Then it became a singlespeed...and it still is.

My next bike was a first year Fisher Cake that I switched a few parts around on. That's still rolling, too.

I'm not allowed to buy a new bike until "the old one" breaks. Kinda stuck for now.

6. thegrover

thegrover New Member

Retired
    Vintage Bikes

I started mountain biking in 1952 on a JC Higgins Bike from Sears. I rode it on cow trails and dirt roads. I rebuilt so many times, it got me through college. It ended up looking similar to today’s signal speed mountain bikes. From there many road bikes until my first "modern" mountain bike a Schwinn High Sierra. The Mack Truck of mountain bikes. Next a Manits XCR which I still have. A Proflex and a GT I Drive that I keep in Australia to ride while visiting family there. A Kestrel hard tail and a Chumba Evo. I currently have an Old Serrota Road bike I restored and a Kestrel road bike that needs restoring. My wife has a Mountain Cycle CSX and a Tommasini road bike.
    The Grover

7. gest24

gest24 "Factory"

Helicopter Mechanic for the USN
    Started out with a Trek 800 Sport

From there it was,
    97 Schwinn Moab 2 Cromo
    98 Schwinn Homegrown LXT
    01 C-dale F700
    07 Leader 730R
    05 Fuji Team SL and my 00 Homegrown

8. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

I still have a single speed Alpine Stars Al-Mega! :) And I rode a Manitou HT also...super light bike, but it was a disposable frame if you weighed over 140 lbs. I cracked mine in half in less than a year and they didn't want to honor the warranty.

I was only able to get some store credit for the bike, and ended up replacing the frame with a Fisher Supercaliber which I hated! Genesis Geometry = Can't lift up the front end if your life depends on it!

The Manitou was the most agile feeling bike I'd ever had...22 lbs, with really quick geometry. It was just an overgrown BMX bike!

9. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Two that I really miss.
    P1010005.jpg

P1010004.jpg

IMG_7396.jpg

P3100019.jpg
    The pic of me riding that Ironhorse G spot was on broken ribs man that hurt.Could not breath at the end.You may know where the pic was taken (I did not know it was... FILL IN THE BLANK).Oh and I had Cannodale 700 I think is what is was called and a KHS Montana sport and a few others I dont recall.Wish I had kept them all.

10. richie_rich

richie_rich Dusty Dirt Devil

Home Page:
    My first "mountain type" bike was a Free Spirit (bought at Sears) which had a spring fork on the front and 24" wheels and thumb shifters. I rode the wheels off that thing and my friends were all jealous that they didn't have shocks despite having real name bikes.

From there it was a Raleigh MT 200, Balance FS Pro, Yeti ARC, K2 Team Zed, Specialized P2, K2 Razorback SL Carbon Rear, Specialized Hard Rock (for campus) none of which I have now.

11. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    Hmmm, going waaaayyy back...late 60's and Honda Trail 50's and 70's as well as later, Yamaha Mini Enduros.

Grew up in the west end, far side, of the Frank Zappa song Inspired San Fernando Valley. Tons of riding opportunites up there... Bell Canyon, Orcutt Park, the Stair Cases, the White Hills and WidowMaker, Box Canyon, Tons of horsetrails at the west end of Roscoe Blvd and Valley Circle Blvd, all of Chatworth, HopeTown motos, and Chatsworth Park West moto bike races, before BMX.

'66 or 7 Purple Schwinn Stingray frame that I bought for $10 from the neighbor in 1969. It was a "short" frame for the smaller sprocket only, with short cranks only. I rode that until it was stolen. Very, very few of those frames were in purple, saw lots of candy blue, forrest green and red onew though. It had the beautiful fillet weld/braze job with the smooth radiuses where the tubes were joined. Heavy, solid, and slow. I jumped it and raced it, only thing I ever broke on it was the forks and the crushing of bearing race for the forks. I diddled between an 18 and 19 tooth rear sprocket on it. Stolen in 1975, just before I got my drivers license.
    Around 1970, a Nishiki aluminum 27" 10 speed for commuting to the high school 4.5 miles away.

University and work pretty much wiped out 12 years of bike riding until 1986 or 87, when I bought a really bitchen Schwinn Cimarron in Forest Green with Shimano components, including BioPace elliptical ring gears. That bike was light, fast and sweet. My father asked to borrow it, and it was stolen out of his garage on a spring Saturday Morning while doing the lawn in back. I really missed that bike, it was light and lovely to ride.

Replaced it in 1998 or 9 with a KHS hardtail of sorts, had 2" of front suspension (if you could call it that, felt like polyurethane bumpers for shocks) Rode that until Mammoth Mtn started beating me up too much due to everyone running downhill bikes up there and the trails getting unmanageable for hardtails, and my shoulders, arms and knees started hurting.

Sept 2007, I demo'ed a Bionicon Edison on Labor Day weekend. Climbed great, rode great. I sold some flyrods on Ebay to make some mad money to make scratch to buy one. Full suspension is just awesome, made me want to ride again and whip myself into better shape.

There is something about Mountain Biking that I find is such a thrill, it reminds me of what it was to be a kid, in the hills and mountains, exploring on my own, on a bike. Still to this day, it makes me giddy every time I finish some sweet single track after doing the climb to earn my vertical.

12. LncNuvue

LncNuvue _

Started racing BMX at 11 in 86

I had various bikes before racing BMX then...
    86 Redline Tri-moly (lasted about 6 months)
    87 Free Agent Jr 20"
    88 Free Agent Pro 20"
    88 Elf Jr Cruiser
    89 Revcore Jr 20"
    90 Free Agent Pro
    90 HiTech (gold piece of crap aweful geometry)
    90 Boss 1 20"
    91 Elf 20"
    91 Boss 3 20"
    91 CW Cruiser
    92 Free Agent 20"
    ...something like that.

Break from racing at 17

Got into riding again and dirt jumping in 97:
    96 Robinson 20"
    97 CCH 20"

Into Mtb 2001 on and off - 2007+ it's all i want to do:
    01 Giant Rainier
    07 Specialized Enduro SL
    I use a friends Kestral Road Bike

bolded my fav's

(i need more mountain bikes!)

13. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    I will just list the ones I had the best time on

Cheetah - 1970somthin'
    Schwinn 3636 completely custom (this is when I actually started riding)
    1989 Bianchi MTB ( I believe it may have been the Grizzly :-k )
    1992 Giant MCM
    1999 Kona Stinky
    2003 Kona Stab and a Stinky Deluxe
    2003 Bianchi 928 Veloce 120th Anniversary edition

The one I miss the most is the 928. I had a great 3000+ miles on it and was going to buy it back from the guy who bought it but it got stolen, damn Oakland hoods. #-o

14. EBasil

EBasil Member

Home Page:
    I bet that is perfect. I think that bike had great geometry for an SS, not counting the wide chainstays (but what's a little smudge on the calves?).

15. Big Rick

Big Rick more momentum

I love these lists! Brings back some memories.

Here's the full list (though I didn't include the trike...:rolleyes:)

72 - 20" Schwinn kids bike - blue
    76 - 27" Schwinn coaster brake cruiser (took it over jumps and back in the woods a lot)
    78 - my mom's Raleigh 5 speed - painted it - but eventually gave it back
    79 - Fuji road bike
    83 - built up a road bike around a Raleigh frame - intro to cleats and toe clips/straps, there wasn't any "clipping out" back in those days, I fell over more than once when I forgot to loosen the strap while rolling up to a stop & track stand:eek: - sold
    83 - Ross MTB - friend in high school said "you've got to try out this mountain biking thing!" :bang:- 10 speed, caliper brakes - gave it to my brother after painting the frame with zebra stripes
    84 - Nashbar MTB - real cantilever brakes and a triple crank! - stolen
    85 - Colnago road bike - first clipless pedals, Look - sold in 91 though my roadie days ended several years before with the aquisition of a Nishiki Pinacle
    86 - another Nashbar MTB - stolen and replaced with same model which was stolen too
    87 - Diamond Back Apex - sold? stolen? memories (short-term or otherwise) of my college days aren't the sharpest:beer: - my first MTB with two piece stem and bars
    88 - Nishiki Pinacle (at the birth of XT) - broke the frame in 93 by splitting the seat tube down the back - at 6' 6" I run my seatpost high - Nishiki warrantied the frame but I accepted a lesser frame (Colorado) rather than replace nearly all the components - burried in the back of the garage
    92 - Nishiki piece of crap to commute to campus - I hated riding it so much that it got stuffed in the back of the garage and never surfaced again
    94 - Performance something or other - my first bike with a front shock - RS Judy - broke the frame at the drive side dropout and Performance warrantied it - I built it up, rode it once on the road, and it was stolen#-o.
    96/7 - Trek 8500? with carbon tubes and aluminum lugs - broke the frame in 01 at the top tube to seat lug glue joint - Trek warrantied with that year's 8500 (it's good to have friends at bike shops :)
    01 - Trek 8500 warranty frame, Alpha Aluminum? - built and rebuilt several times - with a Fox Talas and front disk now
    03 - Weyless whatever-it-was SC Heckler knock off, great design (on SC's part) - my intro to FS, Fox, & disk brakes - stolen off my locked roof rack - that was a great bike, Talas (front and rear) and Juicy 7s were probably worth more than I paid for it on a Supergo uber sale:-k
    07 - Ventana El Capitan - stepin' up to the 29er and I'm never goin back - with a 25" frame, I finally, after 25 years, own an MTB that's actually big enough for me

16. zark

zark New Member

Cartographer
    RIP:
    1994 Gary Fisher Aquila
    1996 Trek Y-22
    1998 Specialized FSR Pro
    1999 Haro Escape A4
    2000 Giant DH Team
    2001 Giant AC2
    2002 Specialized Big Hit DH
    Azonic DS1
    2003 Intense M1
    Intense Tracer
    2004 Iron Horse SGS expert
    2006 Spiaclized Stumpjumper FSR Expert

Current:
    2006 Cove Shocker DH
    Intense 6.6

17. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Near as I can remember this was my first.
    Apparently I was a BMXer in '68 and didn't even know it ;)
    My only complaint was that the leverage on the ape hangers caused the knurls on the bars to get stripped.
    I remember cutting shims from dad's beer cans to keep it roughly in place....

[​IMG]

18. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

I'm feeling nostalgic...back form the dead! :wave:

19. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
  20. E-Man

E-Man Member

Oakley
    Let me see what I can remember………….

Mongoose BMX with the old mag wheels
    ’80-ish Schwinn World Tour(?)
    ’84 Schwinn Peloton (still one of my all-time favorites)
    ’90 Trek 800
    ’94 GT Tequesta
    ’96 GT LTS-2 (gradually upgraded to a LTS-team)
    ’99 GT STS-XCR1000
    ’00 GT iDrive XCR LE (custom team frame – I worked there)
    ’00 GT ZR-1000 (same custom purple/gold paint just like 2wheel_lee’s)
    Intense Uzzi SLX
    Bianchi SISS
    Intense 5.5 – custom CRC blue (my current MTB)
    ’07 Specialized Roubaix Expert (my current road bike)