R.I.P. - List your old bikes here! What did you start on? What bikes do you miss?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CruIsRad!, Sep 11, 2007.

1. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

Hey gang,

After seeing this in my sig, Devoid169 recommended we make a thread devoted to your our past bicycles!

List the bikes that got you to where you are today! Who's got the longest history???

I'll start off...

I started racing BMX when I was 6, went til I was 15 in Single A Pro...

-ELF
    -Hutch
    -Revcore
    -GT
    -CW
    -Auburn

Then in high school I started riding MTB, and I never went back! I found you could jump MTB's just as easily as BMX bikes and I felt more comfortable because I was getting too big for a 20"!

-Univega S7.7 (carbon/kevlar HT)
    -Univega M7.3 (ditto)
    -Boulder Defiant (CrMo F/S)
    -Manitou HT (Alum HT...this was my favorite hardtail of all time, but it was WAY too fragile! Snapped it in half at the BB/chainstay! Complete rig was 22 lbs and it felt like a large BMX bike!)
    -Fisher Supercaliber (Alum HT...my LEAST fave bike, I hated this thing! Genesis Geometry just means "top tube is way too long to pull the front end up". lol.)
    -Specialized Stumpjumper Pro M2 (Alum HT...should be called an Extra-Hard Tail! Stiff!)
    -KHS Softtail (Alum front, CrMo rear...I like this bike!)

...somewhere in there was a Raleigh, Cannondale, and an AMP B4, but I can't recall the order!

How about you guys...what are some brands from your past that you remember riding on?

2. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    My first multispeed bike was a 10 speed my dad found in a dumpster somewhere.

First purchased multispeed bike was a Benotto or something - I don't clearly remember. It got stolen at college.

I ended up getting a Cannondale F300 a few years after college (1996), wanting to get back into riding.

Shortly after that, I realized how cool full suspension was, and picked up a Proflex 756. I ended up riding that for a few years.

Then I saw how cool non-elastomer suspension was, and bought a Marin Wolf Ridge in 1999. I believe I got it from Switchback when they were right next to Peter's Canyon.

After that, riding buddies started getting married and having kids, and I kinda got out of riding and started getting fat, etc.

After a few years of being overweight, I decided to get back into it and picked up a Specialized Enduro in 2004. That's when the mountain biking bug really bit hard.

Not long after that, I picked up a Surly 1x1 (pink!) and fell into the darkside of singlespeeding.

From there, it seemed like I was getting a new bike every few months (maybe I was?).

Chumba EVO
    Voodoo Aizan
    Chumba XCL

I still have the Specialized, Voodoo and the 2 Chumba's in my garage. I do miss the Surly though. Pinkie has since found a new home via eBay. She had a special personality that probably can't be replaced :(

3. bjammin

bjammin Banned

I'm broke!
    Well lets see.
    I started riding in '92 due to the fact that I wrecked my moms brand new car and had to sell mine to give her the balance that ins. wouldn't cover.
    1st bike was a 250$ giant that I used for commuting.
    Once the bug really hit I bought an alm. Giant Cadex, complete with Suntor microdrive drivetrain.(those cranks are still in use on my SS)
    C-dale F700
    Voodoo Bizang0- still have this frame. Was using it as my SS until I cracked it.(boohoo)
    Spec-ed Big Hit My first "DH" bike that earned me a 3rd place in my first DH race at Mt Snow Norba nationals!
    IronHorse SGS DH pro- biggest POS I ever owned. Clapped this bike out after one DH season.
    Intense 5.5
    Intense Uzzi Vpx
    Zion 650 EBB SS
    Felt F1x 'cross bike
    Bianchi Pista ultrahipsterfixie.

Various Bmx bikes growing up. The ones I remember the most are:
    PK Ripper
    Redline RL 20
    Haro Sport
    Super "Goose" with heavy as @#!$ mags.

4. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Boys and their toys.....

I was there when bikes were first invented… but that’s another story… Got into mountain biking in the early 80’s with a Specialized Stump Jumper.. weighed a ton and had cool bull moose handle bars and was indestructible… later handed off to wife while I purchased a shiny red Diamondback Apex (wow, 6 speeds!). That lasted 2 years and passed off to wife when I ordered a custom Salsa from Pacific Coast Cycles in Carlsbad. I gave this to myself at Christmas that year. My wife was very surprised. That’s when I discovered that she would never notice a new bike in the garage and I could always cover by saying that it was a “loaner” I was just trying out. I managed to squeeze a pink Klein into the garage. Next came a custom built 1991 American Classic all aluminum frame that I raced on for many years complete with a cool Monolith suspension fork. Discovering suspension, I then had Richard Cunningham make me a custom Mantis Pro Floater with an ActionTec fork in 1993. That’s when I started adding the cool looking purple components (Grafton/Ringle). Next came the Santa Cruz Blur after passing the Mantis off again to my wife. I loved the VPP technology so much I had to have an Intense 5.5 with a Pike for my full cush bike… the garage was starting to get crowded and my wife was starting to notice. The last one has been the Curtlo 29 with an Action Tec 2” fork set up as a single speed… bought in 2006 and way too much fun. Nancy has finally put her foot down and said no more bikes until you start selling the ones you don’t ride! Now, what to do? What to do?

5. bjammin

bjammin Banned

I'm broke!
    I'll take the Mantis!
    :lol:

6. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Buy a shed.

7. SSinGA

SSinGA Free-XC-Downhiller

short-bus driver
    Fist bike I remember was a Free Spirit moto-X bike. Dad worked for Sears. Some time around 1975 or so.
    Next was a Free Spirit 10 speed
    Takara BMX
    Kuahara BMX
    Then a long dry spell
    Schwinn High sierra in 1988
    another Schwinn - forget model
    Cannondale M400
    Giant ATX-760
    Giant ATX - 770
    Cannondale M700 - beast of the east
    Giant Cadex - carbon tubes!
    GT - forgot model - my first suspension fork
    K2 - turner stinger copy
    GT STS 1000
    2000 Bullit
    Azonic Evolution DS bike
    2002 Joker
    2004 Moment
    2005 6 Pack - many frankenbike variations
    2007 5.5 Spot

8. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Holy crap, you people have tons of bikes. #-oMy list is short -

Yeti 575
    Trek 3700 (still have it)

9. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Started with some Huffy POS when I was 4 or 5 and rode it forever. I outgrew it about the same time we moved to a house on a really busy street and I was the only kid in the neighborhood. Didn't have another bike until high school.

My Junior year in '92, I saved my money and bought a rigid Trek 820. I rode it home from the bike shop with a ride planned the next day. On the ride to the trailhead the next morning, a lady in a Mazda Miata (thank God it wasn't something bigger) ran a stop sign and hit me, bending the frame in the process.

Her insurance paid for a new bike and I got a Specialized Hardrock. I had that for about 6 months until it got stolen.

Flash forward to August of 2001 and I was in the worst shape of my life. Pushing 290 lbs I decided to buy another bike and start riding again. I bought an '01 Trek 4500 HT and rode it mainly on paved paths until February '02 when my house burned down in the Gavilan Fire and the bike went up in smoke with everything else.

As soon as we got our insurance settlement, I bought an '02 Trek 4500 HT. My dad bought a bike around the same time and we started riding together and exploring the Santa Margarita River Trails in Fallbrook.

I fell in love with mountain biking and decided I wanted a FS bike. I saved some $$ and bought an '04 Specialized Enduro Expert in May '04 and proceeded to upgrade everything but the suspension over the next year.

In March '05 I bought an Intense Tracer frame and built it up. I liked it but it flexed a lot so I sold it and used the $$ to buy a Haro X7.

I saw a '92 Trek 820 frame with fork identical to the one I had in high school on Ebay and bought it for $30 and call it my nostalgia build.

I saw the WheelWorld deal on '05 Giant Reign frames in September last year and picked one of those up.

I bought an '04 Jamis Dakar frame for $70 at Jenson's parking lot sale last year. It was alright but I wasn't a huge fan so I sold it on Ebay 6 months later for $200

In February this year, I saw the screamin' deal on my Yeti 575 frame and jumped at the chance. It soon made my Enduro obsolete, so I sold the Enduro's frame and kept the parts.

After losing 50+ pounds and getting in much better shape, I decided to give SS'ing a try and built up my Fetish Fixation SS.

That was kind of long winded. Sorry about that.

R.I.P:
    Huffy POS
    '92 Trek 820--hit by car
    '92 Specialized Hardrock--stolen
    '01 Trek 4500--burned/destroyed in fire
    '03 Intense Tracer--sold
    '04 Specialized Enduro--sold
    '04 Jamis Dakar--sold

Current (all custom builds, no stock parts):
    '06 Yeti 575--main ride
    '05 Giant Reign--back up bike
    '06 Haro X7--an awesome bike that never gets ridden
    '07 fetish Fixation SS--my newest obsession. I cheat on the Yeti with her quite frequently
    '92 Trek 820 rigid--nostalgia build
    '02 Trek 4500--I fell in love with MTB'ing on this bike. Because of that I will NEVER get rid of it. It's in the HOF. The build/parts spec is ridiculous considering the frame it all sits on.

10. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Member

I was looking forward to OMR's list of early bikes. He had to be riding years before me.:D I guess he doesn't want to talk about the early days. :?:

Anyhow, my first bike was a red Sears bike I got for Christmas in 1960. I had to ride dirt trails and roads to school, I thought I was cool. In 1963 I tried to use a driveway as a ramp for a jump, with my brother on the back of the bike. We got air, but I hit the curb face first and busted out my front teeth. I had some other big crashes with that bike, but we both survived. Some time before high school it got stolen. Actually, it got stolen a couple of times but it always came back. Not this time.

My next bike was a Forelli road bike. That was 1969 and for the time is was fast and light. This one I really missed when it was stolen.

After that, I went from bike to bike, its all a blur. But that was the hippie days.

Then in 1992, my sister talked me into going mtbing down Lower Rock Creek.:bang: I never had so much fun! I rode her GT hardtail and she ended up giving it to me.

Now I had a garage half full of bikes, the one I ride most often is the Stumpjumper.

11. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Grab a cold one this may take a whle

It al started with the Good old fashion Huffy POS for me as well

Moved up to Chrome Mongoose BMX which eventually got stolen

Worked mty a$$ of to buy Red Mongoose BMX and started racing BMX

From here I graduated to a Powerlite BMX with an extra set of Skyway Tuff Wheels for jumping

Ended up with a Chrome and Blue Anno 24" Powerlite cruiser complete with Phil Wood hubs This was the cat's A$$ at the time

Circa 1984 Got a car.... Bike? what Bike??

1989 - DUI in car Oh where's that bike????

1989 GT Tequesta steel rigid, added RockShox Black ones with purple logo... Very early in the suspension world

Taco'd the ft wheel and stuffed the down tube into the head tube coming down Skyline So moved what I could to the Brand New GT-RTS2 with a first generation Magnesium Rock Shox ft shock and a couple inches of rear travel look out

Baught a TREK (Close your eyes if you are easily disturbed by road Bikes)5200 OCLV with Ultegra

Blew up my knee on Glendora Mtn Road Time trials
    years of theorapy later Sold bikes cannot ride too much pain

Bought used Klein Quantom base model with down tube shifters ( I know some of you have no idea what these are, but think 8 Track tapes) started building up the riding again

Upgraded to Full Dura Ace STI Klein Quantm PRO with spinergy wheels. This was probably th e most beautiful machne I have ever owned... I know it's a roadie but damn she was pretty... This frame was pre-trek days so it was a real Klein

Pop goes the knee again on the AIDs Ride California.. From frisco to LA

Theorapy/faled had to sell bke

(roadie Alet) too much Tour de France on TV so I bought a Specialized Alez Comp (ultegra) Went to the Spinergy carbons to soften it up a little and a couple Six months later pop goes the knee Do you see a pattern here....

March 2007 Got the MTB bug so I have always wanted a YETI accdentally demo a RIP and many other 29ers at The Path None built up in stock in size HUGE and I NEED IT NOW so I go buy a Yeti 575 at BB in SD.

Start riding again and find a redicuous deal on the RIP Frame so home it comes and off to The Path for a ton of parts so the RIP9 is born and the 575 is left in it's dust and is eventually sold

stop by The Path to buy a rear tire for the RIP and come out with the ONE9 frame 2 weeks and 1 trip to back to the place I love to hate the ONE9 is born

Starting to ride a bit more aggressively need a bigger susher and I like the quality of theYeti I had as well as th small company feel of the brand so the Yeti ASX is born

And then I was at the Path the other day and...

So o all the bikes ht I have loved and lost:beer:I salute you.

For all the fun new rides headed my way:welcome:

12. guero

guero iFroth

cycle pro bmx, back in 83' i believe
    schwinn 5-speed 24" mt. bike in 87'
    diamond back bmx for my 11th bday
    gt interceptor for my 13th birthday
    gt outpost 26" for 8th grade graduation, 89'
    free agent limo bmx in 90'
    schwinn high sierra rigid mtb, 94'
    haro v2 h/t mtb, 02'
    jamis dakar f/s, 03'
    specialized enduro, 04'
    santa cruz huckler, 05'
    gary fisher rig s/s, 06'
    kona coiler dlx, 07'
    kona dawg primo, 07' (current and only bike)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  13. Edog

Edog Member

Memories

[​IMG]
    Raleigh Chopper, I begged my parents for this bike!

Mountain bike in High School (Early 80’s) had the one piece triangle bars with down shifters on the handle bars

I had another mountain bike in College which lasted 4 hours before it was stolen
    So I moved to the US from the UK in 1999 & that when I really got the biking bug, left behind some bad habits & started riding all the time. I lived on the East Coast for a couple of years & mainly rode bike paths. I didn’t get the mountain bike bug until I moved to the OC. I did Maple Springs as my first ride on my fully rigid Hard Rock. The next day I bought my Specialized Rock Hopper as it had a front shock, with the option for disc brakes. That bike was awesome I rode thousands of miles on that thing all over the US. I upgraded everything so that pretty much the frame was all that was left of the original bike. I still have the bike & it is on loan to my brother in law.
    I just went back to a hard tail as my everyday ride after a 4 year absence, man I just love it.
    My road bike also rocks I got full Ultegra & Shimano wheel set, for under$900, I ridden thousands of miles on this bike in the last 5 years. Never even had to true the wheels! I think apart from bar tape, tires, & chains this bike has been maintenance free.

Various kiddies’ bikes
    Raleigh Chopper
    2 no name mountain bikes
    Dawes Road bike, New in 82, chopped in 84
    Specialized Hard Rock (sold)
    Specialized Rock Hopper (still have)
    Specialized Allez Road Bike (I sold this bike twice?!!?)
    Weyless SP
    Giant VT with a Pike up front (Sold)
    Raleigh Team Comp Road Bike (Still going Strong)
    Trek Fuel (Sold)
    Giant Reign (Deceased)
    Leader 510 (My daily Ride)
    Versus Blitz 2 (Just Built)

A 29er is on the cards, FS I think, but I really want to build up a Soma Juice!

Attached Files:

• rc.jpg
      rc.jpg
      File size:
      4.1 KB
      Views:
  14. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I'll keep this short, but I'm sure I'll have to edit this a few times as I remember some of the bikes I had. Most of the bikes evolved with many different components, such as Redline Flight cranks, Skyway Graphites, Phil Wood hubs, Bullseye hubs,, etc. I know there were more, but they were relatively insignificant or short-lived. These aren't in order:

- 1973 Scwhinn Sting-Ray, later turned into a BMX bike
    - Webco, first race bike
    - Powerlite, race bike (one of the first mild steel frames)
    - CW, race bike, broke frame, damn it!, one of the "team only" brass-plated models (no, I wasn't on the team)
    - CW #2, race bike
    - Torker, play bike (also used to jump into pools, rivers, etc.)
    - KIA road bike (converted to a singlespeed with mini aluminum BMX handlebars - in 1982!)
    - Unknown side hack
    - Schwinn Tempo (road bike)
    - Diamond Back
    - VDC Chimp, 16" pit bike racer - yes, they had pit bike races (with Skyway Tuff Wheels)
    - GT BMX
    - Free Agent, race bike (freakin' 75-degree head angle!) The Shoup family that started Free Agent lived nearby.
    - Free Agent 24", race bike (serial number #13)
    - CW Freestyle bike
    - Mongoose (original type) commuter bike to high school with limited availability magnesium moto mags
    - GHP, race bike (I had the second generation graphics before Greg Hill!)
    - Mongoose Pro Class, race bike
    - Mongoose Pro Class 24", race bike
    - Blue Max, practice bike (same as the Mongoose Pro Class but marketed under another name)

More modern...
    - Haro Group 1 (BMX -with Campy Record track hubs!)
    - GT Pro Series 24" (still have)
    - GT RTS Team
    - GT STS broke frame
    - GT LTS-Team
    - GT RTS 3 (chick bike)
    - GT LTS DH
    - GT LOBO DH
    - GT Avalanche
    - GT ZR1000, road bike
    - GT XCR3000
    - GT DHi Team
    - GT XCR1000
    - Azonic Evolution

Fast forward to even more recent...
    - Surly 1x1 (still have)
    - Intense UZZI SLX
    - Intense 5.5
    - Intense 6.6
    - Intense UZZI VPX
    - Intense M3
    - Intense Podium 24" (2008 model)
    - Intense Podium 20" (2008 model) (still have)

Road and other...
    - Specialized Roubaix S-Works (still have)
    - Specialized Ruby Expert (still have as gf's bike)
    - Specialized Tricross Comp, CX bike (still have)
    - Commuter bike (bought in Japan, and still have it there), has a bell, basket, kick stand, wheel lock, head light - one of my favorites. Seriously.
    ...and that goofy penny farthing bike I brought to the last STR gathering

I bolded some of my old favorites.
    I highlighted the ones that I crashed on and went to the hospital on in red.
    Broken frames in blue.
    I enjoyed coming up with this list. I haven't thought about all of the bikes, let alone written them all down, ever.

15. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I do miss my old Trek road bike, even though it would be horribly outdated and rusted to the point of component seizure by now. Gotta get another roadie one of these days.

I've only owned three mtb's so far:
    Trek 6700 (still have it)
    Kona Kikapu (gone)
    Turner Burner (current ride)

The Kona was a good first f/s bike. Fit was slightly off, and it taught me about rear end flex, but it was a pretty good bike and a great deal (Thanks, Pho'd Up).

The Turner is great (naturally) - stiff where it's supposed to be and smooth where it needs to be, and seems bulletproof. Fit is again a bit off, and I'm itching for something with more travel and more slack head angle.

I just rode the Trek for a mile or two the other day for the first time in a long time. It was a good reminder of the importance of the right fit & geometry. Even though it's a 10 year old entry-level bike, it fits like an old pair of shoes. Since it has so little resale value, it's a keeper as a loaner/backup.

16. Hanzo

Hanzo .

OK I'll play

Almost forgot my 71-72? The Original Big Wheel it was a blast
    73 16" Schwinn stingray
    76 20" Schwinn stingray
    79 Schwinn varsity

BREAK

93-94? Trek 820 rigid 18 speed
    95 GT Timberline - Answer Prolink before the merge with Manitou maybe 2" of travel
    95 Stumpjumper w/Mag21 giant 28mm stanchions and 2" of travel upgraded to a Judy SL with 2.5":lol:
    97? GT LTS-1 - Some RS Judy POS upgraded that to a Marzocchi Z1
    99? SC Heckler

BREAK

2002? SC Bullit
    2006 Intense 6.6
    2005 Giant Reign

I just find it amazing how far suspension and technology has come in a short time.

17. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Mine goes something like this.

Yamaha Suspension bike = Heavy ahead of its time. 1973 ish
    Webco
    Race Incorporated
    FMF
    Coast wheels
    Powerlite
    PK ripper
    1986 CW cruiser made into a DH bike.
    Peugeot mountain bike kinda random friends dad gave it to me .
    1986-1987 all Motorcycles BMX bikes
    GT Avalanche 1st gen
    GT Avalanche 2nd gen
    GT Bravado
    AMP Research B3-B4
    GT LTS Carbon DH
    Manitou FS
    Cheetah DH
    Yeti ASX
    Chumba EVO
    Secret Bike DH
    Chumba F4 DH
    Chumba XCL

I am not sure about the dates.
    I know that I had more I just don't remember.
    The bikes I missed are the Yamaha Suspension bike, Race Incorporated, GT Bravado
    If i knew then what I know now that old suspension bike would rock. I think it would be fun to take it down the DH coourse.

18. mntbiker12

mntbiker12 Quest: Singletrack

Marketing Director / Marketing Consultant
    Here's my (MTB only) list:

R.I.P.
    Murray POS c.1994
    IronHorse Steel Hardtail c.1996
    '99 Gary Fisher Mamba
    '03 Specialized S-Works M4 Hardtail - scary fast
    '04 Kona Kahuna - first dualie, short lived

Current
    '04 Turner Burner w/ XR Rockers - might never get rid of it

Future
    '0whatever Turner 5 Spot

19. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

The list:
    Early-'70s Stingray with yellow-to-red paint fade; later converted to BMX with knobbies, BMX bars and a rattle-can bronze paint job
    Chrome Diamond Back BMXer tricked out with all the blue ano i could find
    Dumpster 10-speed rehabbed by my bro; it's still in my dad's garage
    Got into MTBing in college riding my roomate's rigid Fuji mountain bike
    First MTB of my own: A '90 or '91 GT Tequesta, rigid, blue paint with a white and black spatter pattern
    First suspension: First-generation Specialized FSR (the one that GT pretty much ripped off in creating the LTS) that i bought used at Rainbow Cycles in Laguna. A whopping two inches of travel via the Fox Alps 4 shock out back and a Specialized-branded Mag 21 in the front.
    First custom build: '99 Santa Cruz Superlight with XT and Race Face components. Started out as a pure XC bike with Float shock, White Bros. 90 mm air fork and rim brakes. Later got an RS Psylo coil, Avid mechanicals and a Vanilla R coil-over. Retired it after i broke the frame for the third time; turns out Superlights don't hold up too well to 10-run days at Snow Summit and dropping ledges at G-Spot. :?:
    First hucker: '02 Ellsworth Joker. Has gone through various incarnations: RS Psylo, Z1, Super T and, now, my awesome new Lyrik Solo Air. My favorite of my two bikes right now.
    Back to basics: Cove Stiffee hardtail. Had fun with this one for a while, but decided i wanted a second FS instead. So, enter ...
    '04 Iron Horse Hollowpoint. Great all-around rig, but won't seeing much action now that i've got my Joker all kitted out.
    Brief flirtation: '06 Redline Monocog 29er. Rigid SS hurts my battered old bones. I sure liked the looks of her, but I had to get out of the relationship for my own good. :)

20. MuddyEdgar

MuddyEdgar Member

OcCuPiEd
    I just started riding about 7 months ago. I started the sport as cardio excercise. But soon became addicted.

GT REbound (sold in 4 months)
    Cannondale Scalpel (sold in 3 months)
    Iron horse MKIII (current and only bike) planning on keeping this one.