Question for Painfreak & Other San Gabriel Mtn .Guys

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by S54MCoupe, Apr 23, 2007.

1. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

I know that N San Gabriel Canyon Rd. (Hwy. 39) somehow connects to Angeles Crest (Hwy. 2)

My dad said the road has been closed for a long time, and has no idea what kind of condition it's in. Anyone here know if it's descendable on a road bike, or any bike at all?

When it warms up, I would like to climb from LaCanada and make my way on the 2 over to the 39. Any suggestions?

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Road has been closed since the late 1970's...long before I lived down here. Gate is locked up on top and locked a mile past East Fork below. Forest Service and ultility companies drive the full lenght and you can ride the whole thing on a bike...but I would want touring or dirt tires...top part pavement long gone.

It would be a great road ride no cars and the pavement to yourself. Do it as an out and back. Lotsa climbing.

Dean

3. Adrian

Adrian foesnasty no more....

The road is open the hikers/bikers but the pavement is almost completely gone...It's been about 5 years since I was up there but I can't imagine it would be in any better shape... I wouldn't suggest riding on hwy 39, cars don't seem to have the same respect as they do on angeles crest hwy (2)...Plus you will probably be on some type of mountain bike

4. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll have to check it out on my mountain bike. If it's not rideable on a road bike, it rules out the option of a full loop.

I agree about Hwy 39, I've ridden up to where it's closed, and the drivers there aren't too nice.

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I plan on buying a cross/touring bike later this year and when I do I've had this ride planned in the back of my mind for a long time. I did a good portion of the ride I have in mind, but we had to bail last time (about 6 years ago) due to fatigue, no water, no food and a general group decision that we'd had enough.
    I personally was really enjoying the adventure, but the miles were piling up and most of us were on heavier bikes. The group decided to call it a day and we took a bail out. I've always wanted to go back and try it again.

I rode some of it a few years ago, but there was a lady hiker coming back down and she told us a bear had been following her for over an hour and she was real uncomfortable. We never did see the bear, but we found fresh bear shit right in the middle of the road. I won't do it alone.

6. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

:lol: She must have been a tough lady, I would have been more than uncomfortable if a damn bear was following me, haha.

Mike, would you ever be interested in doing something like the Furnace Creek 508?

7. JimN

JimN Member

I've done the whole loop, starting and ending at Encanto Park. It's either 88 miles with 8,300 feet of climbing, or 83 miles with 8,800 feet of climbing - I can't remember which. Last time I rode it was probably five years ago. At that time, it was completely doable on a road bike with standard road tires. I'm not sure how much the road has deteriorated in the last five years, but I wouldn't rule out giving it a go on a road bike.

8. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

That sounds awesome. Like Mike said, maybe a cross bike would make it better. I am probably gonna get dropped off up there on my Mountain bike and just ride down, that way I will know exactly what I am in for before I commit to it on my road bike.

9. dstepper

Home Page:
    Shuttle scum!

10. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

:bang:

It would be only the second time I've ever been dropped off for a ride. First time was Mt. Wilson at 10:00pm for an adventure down the singletrack with two of my friends.

11. dstepper

Home Page:
    Amigo, just kidding. I am the first one to shuttle a ride if it is possible.

Dean

12. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

I know you weren't serious man, hence the :bang:

Getting shuddled is rad, but I don't have any friends who are willing to cart my ass around :(

13. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    From my ANF contact:
    [FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Hwy 39 is good...I drove it yesterday [4/27] doing a little area recon. Also, Hwy 2 around Dawson is OK, but lots of rocks in the road. Still some snow from last week's storm...looked nice (for what it was worth, considering we're only at 1/4 of normal precip).[/FONT]

14. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

Nice. It looks like Wilson and Baldy can still be done on the same ride :) Now I just need to find some people who are up for it.

15. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Jess, count me in, but please give us as much notice as you can. I've got so many rides planned for this summer, that if I do them all I'm afraid my family will forget what I look like.

16. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    This sounds EPIC! After GMR, I think it would be fun to ride up there again.

17. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Yeah, but to be honest, this one is a little easier in my opinion. Still a lot of climbing though.

Let's do it!!!

18. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    Easier? Kewl. Still I liked riding up in the mountains like that. Of course, the descent down Baldy Road was a little freaky to me. Going 40mph or more still gives me a pucker.

19. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Have fun guys. My summer of crazyness part 2 is beginning again. I am basically going to be unavailable from mid-May through near the end of June. I'm going to the Memphis in May BBQ Fest 5/18-19 and China from 5/28-6/12. Then I have a week long conference in SD starting 6/18. After that all ends I have several mountaineering trips planned throughout the summer (Mt. Tyndal 14,018, Mt. Williamson 14,375, and mt. Russell 14,088).

It's been nice riding with you guys. :) J/K hope to get in some rides in here an there.

20. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

We'll have to ride before you leave.