Punta Ala Enduro WS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dcrfx, May 22, 2013.

1. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Just trying to get my arms around this new-to-me format, It seems very, um, mountainbikish in a cross-discipline/what allot of us do every weekend sort of way (good stuff in my eyes). So been trying to read and watch some video on the results, just wondering what everyone's take is?

- I wonder if the time they give the riders to pedal from the bottom of a timed run to the start of the next is reasonable or if it really pushes them. My understanding, if they don't make a certain time for the transition (climb) they get docked on their next timed downhill(?) Certainly favors lighter bikes if true.
    - Glad to see they always must wear helmets, and must wear a fullface on their timed downhill runs, but can carry a lighter helmet and switch for the climbs.
    - Fully self supported, so must carry their own water and nutrition as well as flat/mechanical tools (not sure about that)
    - Many more nuances, wheel size, bike weight vs durability, athlete training focus on endurance vs DH strength, etc...

Comments, discussion, education, etc appreciated!

2. Salespunk

Salespunk New Member

The transfer stages (climbing) are generous. The only time you might run into issues is with mechanicals. CG broke a chain on one of the timed segments and Steve Peat pushed him up the hill to make the transfer time. The more well rounded riders are the ones that do well in these events. Each race has technical components and pedaling components. If you want to check out local races there is the PCA event in San Diego on June 8th and another enduro at Vail Lake in Temecula June 9th. The San Diego race will be one of the best courses of the year.

3. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I am not sure if I read this correctly, but did they climb 6000' or more during Sunday's 5-run event? No matter how slow you ride, that's a lot.

4. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

No kidding: "the race will take place over six hours with 65 kilometers of trail and 1,800 meters of climbing, with five timed special stages plus the prologue on Saturday". 40 miles 5900 feet is a tough mountainbike ride for sure. And it was wet/muddy to add to it. But I think they cancelled one of the five circuits due to the wet(?). FWIW, our local "old man" BLopes got 15th which was #1 in his age group.

Sounds like some cool stuff, just may have to check out the SD and/or Vail lake events.