Pro mountain bike salary????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Garrett Garcia, Aug 1, 2009.

1. any one know what these guys are making a year?

Julien Absalon, France
    Jean Christophe Peraud, France
    Nino Schurter, Switzerland
    Christoph Sauser, Switzerland
    Marco Aurelio Fontana, Italy
    Christoph Soukup, Austria
    Liam Killeen, Great Britain
    Inaki Lejarreta, Spain
    Sven Nys, Belgium
    Jose Antonio Hermida, Spain
    Manuel Fumic, Germany
    Oli Beckingsale, Great Britain
    Marek Galinski, Poland
    Cedric Ravanel, France
    Burry Stander, South Africa
    Moritz Milatz, Germany
    Fredrik Kessiakoff, Sweden
    Jaroslav Kulhavy, Czech Republic
    Roel Paulissen, Belgium
    Geoff Kabush, Canada

2. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Not very much.

3. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    Thats a good question. I think the payoff for them is the sponsorship and all the top of the line stuff they get for free. I would hope sponsors would pay for whatever they need for training and whatever it takes ($$$) for participate in big races. I've never raced so I don't know if there's a cost associated with entering a race. I could be wrong and all they get are bragging rights...and maybe some free beer.

4. PAIN

PAIN New Member

Pro skaters get payed well, cant see why a pro MTBer wouldn't get payed well either. No clue how much though.

5. Kiehacker

Kiehacker New Member

part time investor
    I used to be into climbing and I knew a few pros. Most got gear in exchange for showing up at events, trade shows...etc. When I ran the numbers in my head...it was usually a loosing proposition for the athlete. If they were going to all those events anyway...cool...if not...kind of a bad deal.

Another guy I knew had a payment schedule for every time he promoted the product...example...if he was on a magazine cover with the gear showing and the logo showing he would get $2000. Every time he said the company or gear name in a video he would get $1000....etc...

6. gest24

gest24 "Factory"

Helicopter Mechanic for the USN
    Pro MTBers not on a Factory squad get little to nothing.

7. ISuckAtRiding

ISuckAtRiding Homebrewed Components

machine shop owner
    Ha. Skateboarding is a good spectator sport. MTB racing unfortunately is not, unless it's DH, but it's still nowhere near as popular as skateboarding. When i racing (semi pro when i stopped), i had a better sponsorship than alot of pros, and i was still losing alot of money to the sport.
    Your pain and suffering is your reward, and as a masochist which most xc pros are, it's probably payment enough.

8. Zebulon

Zebulon Member

Floyd Landis went to road cycling to get bigger bucks.

9. TMS

TMS New Member

A small handful of today's Pro Skaters make money, the vast majority do not, much like Mountain Bikers.

10. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

Euro Pro Salaries

That is a pretty good list of names! There is a lot of euros being paid for sponsorship on that list. A good majority of the pros on that list make 6 figures ( American ). Euro pros get paid well deserve every penny. It is a shame Americans cant make the same living. Pro Cycling in Europe and other foreign spots is a huge sport. Kinda like soccer. If you are interested in making a living as a pro Cyclist, overseas is the way to go. It is much harder field to compete in. But if you got the goods, paychecks are there. But the talent is deep!

11. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    Consider this then...

There is an interview on Freecaster with Shaun Palmer--he talks about how much he was making. If you know anything about Palmer, it makes sense why.

Now for skateboarders...

Skateboard companies make around $20 per board--more if their operation is tight. The price of a deck for the consumer is around $50 bucks (more if you're getting a legitimate board). I used to go through at least one board per week. Most kids that are serious will go through at least one per month. Now consider how many kids and adults ride those boards and how much insane cross-promotion there is: Mountain Dew, Scion, X-Games, MTV, Fuel TV, video games, etc. There is an entire infrastructure built around that sport to support the market, not necessarily the sport. Lots and lots of money moving around. It makes sense these athletes--the personalities--would make a great deal of money...at least the good ones.

Mountain biking in the US simply does not have that profile. It's an expensive sport for one and the spandex certainly doesn't help with the cool factor. I don't know too many kids that want to rock their Team Sho-Air gear at school.

This is unfortunate because I am sure there are a lot of really talented riders that don't get to compete professionally in the world arena let alone in the US. Perhaps that will all change.

12. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

The top guys make a decent living. Sven Nys makes a pretty good living becuase he's NOT a MTB racer. Nys is the worlds best cyclocrosser and there is actually pretty good start money for those guys. Nys races MTB's for fun.

13. still no numbers hahah???

14. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    Bob root from new world disorder told me he gets 1500 a month, but bikes from his foriegn sponsor. Bob root is king of manuals.

15. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    much better to be a spectator :p

rob making it rain (short section at 2:00)

[youtube]0Ju_buKIrDM[/youtube]

16. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    I bet they would make more if it was on the TV alot like other extreme sports has been.

17. El Rolo

El Rolo its just ahead

sponsorship and endorsement

a buddy a mine owns a marketing co. Among other things, They put on the backyard bbq series events you'll see on fuel every spring. The pro skaters are paid by their sponsors to attend. Like others have said, if they are seen wearing a product on a cover, they get $$$.

BTW anyone watch the park final on the eXploited games today? Every rider had his brand and a podium for your sponsor translates into $$$. Perfect example was Omar's Slam, his hit was almost as hard as danny way last year, but like danny, he knew he was in the final and got up and went for it again.

MTB suffering usually comes one pedal stroke at a time, and americans rarely appreciate the years of conditioning that put a rider in that position.

Bottom line, in the US very few riders can afford to quit their day jobs. Whether on or off the road.

18. jcka

jcka Member

Who cares, they get to ride their bikes for a living...that's worth it's weight in gold.

19. is it enough for a living though?:?:

20. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    From what I was told... if you're not in the top 10, you're not making 100k/yr.... :?: