Performance Bikes - all locations/on-line (Merged threads)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by Winger, Mar 28, 2007.

1. BTE)!

BTE)! New Member

Performance in Tustin is horrible. I went in to by XT brake pads and they told me it was a special order item and would take 2 weeks to get from Shimano.

Performance in Laguna Hills, on the other hand, has good service.

2. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

I have had the same sort of crusty experience at Tustin Performance, and now never go there unless I have to. I took a bike in for a tuneup earlier this year. I wasn't told I had to bring it in the day before and when I got there at 7 am, the tech gave me a super hard time like he was being inconvenienced. I got reprimanded because he could have already been working on it for an hour -- then I got it a day later anyhow.

At the time I was a little "huh?" But after is was checked in, I realized that I should never feel like I am doing them a favor bringing my bike in. But that was how I was made to feel.

Then the manager just about ripped off my 2 year daughter's head for riding a bike in the store. I mean, come on folks, she is two and when my wife is there sans me with a 1-year-old and 5-year-old, you can cut my wife a little slack, especially when they are testing bikes to buy for the two year old. Sheesh.

Needless to say, I have lately been taking all my business to the Path. Better parts, better service so far... a little costlier, but I for one hate having buyers remorse, not for the product, but for the service.

That said, there are also some really nice people who work at Tustin PB. But a couple bad apples...

3. mxvet

mxvet New Member

If you're talking about the location in the Tustin Market Place, then I agree...they SUCK.

Attitude city up in there.

4. Byron B

Byron B Born to Ride

Business Finance
    PERFORMANCE TUSTIN SUCKS!!!! I had a similar issue with that manager not long ago..

5. flipdiver

flipdiver On land and on Sea

Professional Student
    I've had great Performancebike experience at Torrance. The one at Tustin's definitely sucks, I wanted to see if they have the cable ends and just needed two for both ends and they wanted to charge me $2.00. I just happened to be around that area and since I've gotten great service at Torrance store, expected the same - WRONG. Nevertheless, I guess it boils down to the manager that you talk to and the salespeople.

6. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    I too had hit/miss experiences at FV and Tustin stores, but mostly good ones. I just don't go there too often.

Performance Bike Laguna Hills (my favorite of all PB stores) even matched Chain Reaction Cycles prices for one time only when I bought a bunch of parts I needed for my build. You gotta talk to the right folks and Laguna Hill store folks are great, especially a particular manager there (also a fellow golfer).

However, the $25 per year membership is not worth it anymore and getting tired of seeing Forte branded items that I will never buy.

7. schinho

schinho New Member

Performance Bike in tustin

Same thing happened to me two weeks ago at the same Tustin store. My part was a shimano XTR front derailleur that I was trying to have them match to Jensen. "Sorry we don't match Jensen anymore...they are too low." Needless to say, I'll only go there in an emergency...nutrition, lube, etc. The Path will always get my business. Also, Jensen and Price Point are great, but I've been using Universal Cycles for a couple years now and they are quite competitive when you use their 10% off coupons ($100 bucks or more) and 15% off coupons ($300 or more). There's no sales tax and shipping is dirt cheap. Yes, I know....it's taking business outside of CA, but at least I have relatives in Oregon that I'm supporting.

8. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Two weeks ago I visited the Tustin store to buy a headset. Before you judge me, let me tell you that I visited FIVE legitimate bike shops in the area before settling on Performance. I needed the part IMMEDIATELY.

The manager searched all around, wandering up and down the aisles (just as I had done before asking for his assistance), before going back to ask the mechanic. The mechanic thought that "zero stack" was a manufacturer. As it turned out, they had NO headsets in stock. Performance is is to cyclists as Home Depot is to homeowners.

9. Rockslide

Rockslide Two-wheeled transient.

I like the Home Depot reference.

Performance in Torrance called me after I left them a 20 mil DMR front hub and WTB rim for a wheel build. They wanted to let me know they needed to charge me extra to figure out what length spokes this combo needed. No shame. I guess this combo isn't on the DT Swiss chart. A quick search on the net led me to a spoke length calculator. How hard can it be? I almost decided to punch in the numbers for them, but then came to my senses. I only went there because it was conveniently on my way home from work for drop off and pick up. I bought a bike at the Fountain Valley store and have had nothing but good experiences with sales and service staff. I kind of expected the same in Torrance.

I took the parts to La Habra Cyclery upon a friends recommendation. They were busy at the time and I still got the wheel in 3 days. I was really impressed with the quality of build. It has held up perfectly after a lot of hard trail use in the gabes. The next time I needed a wheel I went to them and bought all of the parts, including a Hadley hub, at their price (which was a lot less than other good OC shops, FYI).

It's nice to have a reliable LBS.

10. des

des big kahuna

Here is Performance Bikes price match policy....

Performance will match any advertised price on the same item within 90 days of your purchase. Just bring in the ad, even if it's our own, along with your original Performance Bicycle receipt, and we'll gladly refund you 100% of the difference. We will also do the same for you at the time of purchase.

DON VO(HO)- if you work for a large corporation know your policy...It is not for you to interpret it...No where does it say we match everyone except JENSONUSA.

11. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I haven't had issues with Performance and price matching. I had one item I tried to price match that was a huge difference. The manager didnt want to price match it in store. He explained to me that it would hurt his stores bottom line(having worked retail I understood). What they did was had me order it online or using red phone do store pickup. That way the item was shipped to store. They gave me the item right there and replaced there inventory when the online order showed up. I was fine with that , I got what I wanted and the store didnt take the hit. He would have priced matched the item in store had i not wanted to do the other way but I did since I respected his concern.

12. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

Performance sells headsets?

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Try going in and asking for a 29er tube. 6 months ago, they had no clue what I was looking for. :?:

14. fos'l

fos'l Member

JRA
    Don't waste your time bringing in a broken/discrepant "P" brand component to the Tustin store. The manager will "A$$tutely" "A$$ess" it as normal wear. I attempted to replace a pedal with a broken cage that had been used, but not abused in any way. No dice. Also, don't even bother with their district manager. He was able to tell that the failure was "normal" without even looking at the pedal.

15. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    I don't alway shop at Performance, but when I do, I prefer Laguna Hills...Stay thirsty my friends.

16. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    I went to the website and looked up a pr of shoes....I called the Tustin store and asked if they had model # blah blah in stock in my size....he put me on hold to check...came back on and said yes....so I drove down there and asked for him to grab me the pair I just called about....the a-hole says...."OH those are only sold online....we have them in stock and you can order them thru our website"....I just about jumped across the counter to kick his ass....I drove 15 miles to his store b/c he said they had them in stock...he went to the F-n website to check rather then the stores inventory.....ended up driving out to Jenson in Corona to get them....WILL NEVER go to Performance Tustin again....other locations fine but TUSTIN is BANNED....

Don't hold the whole franchise accountable b/c of 1 bad store(manager or tool of a clerk)...Ive had good luck w/ other Performance locations....

17. fos'l

fos'l Member

JRA
    +1 on the Laguna Hills store. Unfortunately, they didn't have the item in stock.

18. des

des big kahuna

I called the district manager- JOHN STURGEON to complain about the way I was treated at the Performance tustin store. Never received a courtesy call back. Another Dumbsh*t. I will probably figure out the email address of the CEO/ Chairman and let them know what is going on at tustin/Don Vo(ho) John Sturgeon. Performance tustin SUCKS and so does their crappy manager and district manager.

19. fos'l

fos'l Member

JRA
    Exactly my sentiments about them. I'm calling the bigger bosses tomorrow @ 800-433-1633 (ask the operator for John's boss & don't forget to tell him that John didn't have the courtesy to call you).

20. tortoise

tortoise Member

They know what a headset is?