Performance Bikes - all locations/on-line (Merged threads)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by Winger, Mar 28, 2007.

1. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    I guess I'll go ahead and tell the rest of my Performance "job fair" story since this store seems to be getting bashed anyway. I went to the job fair as I had quit my job as a mechanic and was having a hard time finding a job near my house (which is approx 1 mile from this store). I am an ASE Master Mechanic with 11 yrs experience and a job at this store would more than likely be a temporary thing as my unemployment was running out soon.

So I get to the job fair, fill out the app and sit down and talk with 3 guys at a table. I think the main guy was a regional manager or some crap......he was the prick. Obviously he noticed I was a mechanic for 11yrs prior and asked why I thought I'd be a good bike mechanic. I told him I can rebuild an engine, have been riding for 7 years, have built a LOT of bikes and work on/maintain a lot of friends bikes and that working on bikes just comes easy to me. He then tells me that what I just said is the most arrogant thing I could have told him. At that point I didn't give a flying f*uck if I got this job or not.

So then Jenson came up in the discussion. The prick asked me how I thought Performance compares to Jenson. I told him that A. Jenson has a WAY better selection. B. Jenson has WAY better customer service and C. They ship out orders in a much more timely manner. He seemed kind of pissed but said "well I appreciate your honesty" and that was the end of the interview. :lol:

That place blows!!!!

2. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i'd rather work for domino's pizza

3. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Funny i had a similar experience.Not with a local shop but chain store.I am an ASE master tech as well as factory certified mbz tech and 15 years experience.I don't really work on bikes but sure I can pick it up fast.I got the same reply,"just because you can fix cars dose not mean you can fix bikes." blahh. Never said I could,but i am mechanically inclined.Got the job two weeks later,and basically told them not interested.

4. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

typical corporate bullshit, good thing you didnt get a job there, probably a bunch of mother ****er 'company' men working there too

5. wgb

wgb New Member

Engineer
    I knew a guy who was working there for a while. He too was a bike mechanic, but the cut his hours down to barely just a day a week (p/t gig). Well I was talking with him about the shop and he warn me not to take any advice from anyone in there. He said that pretty much the thing that they were good for was pretty good deals at times, and the clothing. From what he explained to me, the Performance brand clothing is actually made by Pearl Izumi (I believe).

6. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    I'd rather shop at Wal-Mart, there are plenty of capable shops around but for some reason or another I always wind up at the Path (even when I worked for a chain).

7. cru jones

cru jones never say never

sales manager
    Ive noticed in most retail stores in general, there are a few pricks, many clueless employees, and one or two people that really know whats going on. People always compare Performance to shops like the Path. Totally different markets. Each store is great for whom it is geared toward.

8. NA1NSXR

NA1NSXR Member

I'm not saying the manager at that store wasn't a prick, but at interviews for office jobs it is common for the interviewing panel to include someone who plays the 'prick' role i.e. if you are being interviewed by a team of 3 two guys will be really nice and the other will be a prick on purpose as part of the interviewing process to see how well you deal with uncomfortable situations. Again, I don't know if this has any applicability or if interviews for mechanics has anything in common.

9. mikew27sub

mikew27sub New Member

Subaru Tech
    Performance bike.

I was recently looking for a entry level road bike at a couple of stores, I went to the performance bike in la mesa and I had one of the sales associates trying to get me to buy a large frame schwinn letour gs. The bike totally didn't fit me and she did not even listen to what I was saying. She said that I though I new every thing. I currently have a 49cm Fugi. I was on my tippy toes trying to stand over the top tube and not do any damage to myself. Alot of the sales associates there really do not know the products they sale and don't know how to fill a customer's needs. I know they do have some decent employees but some of them really need to work on learning how to fullfill a customers needs properly. Like bike fit, and not filling peoples heads with B.S. I ended up buying my bike used, seemed like a better deal, the newer ones in my price range were spec'd lower and weight up to 4 lbs heavier.

10. jonny427

jonny427 Botox User

Biomedical Engineer
    I've never had a problem with this shop. I've returned some stuff without the original box and have pricematched my bike twice and they never had any objection. I think they understand that the corporation covers the costs so they can just enjoy talking about bikes and making sure the customer is happy. My only quibble is that stuff goes on sale so often that I have to come back and get pricematches all the time ><

11. victored

victored New Member

Restaurant Manager, Web Designer, Consultant, etc.
    Performance is a great place to buy the "misc" stuff. Forget their bike selection and sales. But the guys there are friendly. Specially the Filipino guy who talks quite a bit but no non sense.

12. SKINNY

SKINNY Lube, Ride, Repeat

Home Page:
    I went in the other day and bought a front and rear Loco wheels (made by Forte).. Nothing fancy but seemed strong and cheap.. Got back to the office and looked them up online to check out reviews.. Saw that Performance had a Wheelset price for the pair so I took them back and asked for the wheelset price as opposed to the individual price and got back about $83.. They even appologised for not checking the website prices.. BTW.. so far so good on the wheels.. they feel solid and track nice and have stayed true.. and at about 170 bucks for the pair they are just about disposable..

13. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    Harry is a cool guy to talk to there and they always hook me up with some sweet deals with price matching. I always check out what I need beforehand and print out their online price and some of the competitors. Whichever price is lower and legit, I pay and get 10% store credit back through Performance Membership Card. Of course some of the high-end stuff they don't carry anymore, so The Path gets my business.

14. A D NOH

A D NOH Custom Newbie Title

Motivational Speaker for Kids
    The staff is very friendly and was not pushy at all. Everytime I have gone in there, I have always encountered friendly enthusiasts, that sounds better than staff. Last time I went in there to stock some basic supplies, the shopping experience felt like hanging out with some people you just met. They were all friendly to me and would joke around making the buying experience more comfortable.

15. rcbebe

rcbebe New Member

Performance Bike

DO NOT PATRONIZE!!!!
    :protest:
    I purchased a good pair of road shoes and look pedals. I had the teck mount the cleats for me because I wanted them done right. On my first ride, on a busy street, the cleat became disengaged from my left shoe. The force of my pedaling sent me flying. fortunatly, I was thrown to the curb and not into the traffic. It turns out that the tech stripped out the holes in the shoe. After much correspondence, phone calls, I was told that Performance bike and their insurance company would not accept any responsibility for my accident.
    :protest:
    PLEASE, DO NOT PATRONIZE THIS COMPANY

16. wannagobig

wannagobig Gigantic Member

Which Performance Bike?

17. guero

guero iFroth

hmm, very first post on STR. if it is infact true, glad to hear you weren't too injured.

18. pinoiryder

pinoiryder New Member

Logistics Manager
    i have been going to performance bike shop in torrance and never had any problem with all the item i have bought from them.. i was really happy will all my shopping experience with them.. sorry about the accident and glad your not injured.

19. boludo

boludo Member

Money Manager/Finance
    that'll teach you. dont ever let anyone touch you bike unless you know they know that you know that they know more than you.

its just like a woman. you dont touch if its mine. Or, if you like, you dont touch if i'm her's.

20. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    stipped thread by someone else but its still your fault, crazy. thats why i just watch youtube and do it myself. if i get hurt theres no one to blame but myself. sorry to hear of your crash.