Over the Hump MTB Race Series 2011

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by denmother, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

2. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

Retro Rocket Rides Again

The Retro Rocket and I have just signed up for our first OTH race :)

Please don't laugh at my 1994 Specialized RockHopper with OEM almost everything!!! LOL!

See ya Tuesday ;)

3. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    It's not the car it's the engine. It's not the tools it's the talent. Awesome.

4. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Wish I'd be there to cheering you on or ride with you. Have fun!

5. denmother

6. Jorge Lujan

Jorge Lujan New Member

What a Champion!

Here's an article regarding the Jupitor Award winner Scott Burrows:

Oakley Jupiter Award Gets A Home!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 Over the Hump was proud to introduce the first ever Oakley Jupiter Award, given to the rider who most inspires fellow Humpers!

The award will be passed twice annually, and bear the recipient’s name, and represent their story to inspire us all.

[​IMG]

The first honoree is our own # 426, Beginner4(50+ rider) Mr. Scott Burrows!!!

Racing mountain bikes to our Jupiter Award winner is a big deal. At press he’s 5th in the Beginner 4 Class for the 12 week Over the Hump Summer Series.

Scott finished 6 months of relentless chemo last April. He was down 25 lbs at the end of of it all and didn’t have the strength to put on his socks or take the lid off a water bottle. Couldn’t drive, walk his dog, shop, empty or load the dishwasher, work or put on a shirt by himself. Many times Scott just stayed in bed until morning so that someone could help him get up.

[​IMG]

Scott was diagnosed with metatastic melanoma, a large tumor on his left lung. It was his second time with metatastic cancer – the first was 1994.

The cancer was discovered after he became out of breath while riding and couldn’t understand why he felt so out of air. That led to scans and eventually two oncologists telling him not to expect to live.
    That journey began in September of 2009. And it followed brain surgery, just 4 months before, to remove a brain tumor not related to the cancer. That tumor was not cancerous, but the surgery caused him to lose his balance nerve and hearing in his left ear. He had to re-learn to walk, let alone ride a bike. But he got back on the bike a month later (road only) and two months later he was on his mountain bike. No more wheelchair or cane. Life was good! Then he found out he had cancer, and things went downhill pretty fast.
    He finished chemo April 6, 2010. His body was wrecked, but the cancer was gone. HE could hardly wait to ride again. But didn’t have the strength to balance on a bike, or put weight on his handle bars. His friend Tim walked along his bike and held him as he learned to ride around the driveway just like a 4 year old getting on a bike for the first time.

[​IMG]

That was June 2010. After that it was a ride to the stoplight and back. Then eventually Newport Coast (he had to stop 3 times and rest). And slowly his strength and weight came back. Eventually He was back on his mountain bike and riding his old rides again.

The big test was “I Think I Can in El Morro”. To ride that trail was a victory. He used to race up it. This time it was just to finish. He did it. Now he has the 7th best time on Strava.com last he checked.

[​IMG] Matt Wenger (left), John Russell (right), present Scott Burrows with the Oakley Jupiter Award

He’s back…self admittedly he’s not the strongest racer. Scott says he’s strong enough. Riding is a victory. Racing is the Cherry on top.

When we asked Scott what he had to say about his journey, Scott Said, “Just racing is victory enough for me. And I thank God that I can just come out and compete with everyone. That’s a blessing enough to me. And hopefully an inspiration to others who face challenges they never expected – or wondered if they would survive.”

The Oakley Jupiter Award allows us to celebrate victory over challenges, monumental people and personalities. It’s a good reminder of life lived to the full, within our local riding community. We’re proud to honor Scott Burrows as a man who embodies what Over the Hump and the Oakley Jupiter Award is all about.
    [​IMG]

What a great guy and incredible attitude. Sure changed my perspective on this race series.

GO SCOTT!!!

7. skirt_count455

skirt_count455 New Member

Awesome post!!

8. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

best post on STR! This is what it is aLL ABOUT! WHAT A TRUE AMBASSADOR! The best part of his story is he just gives his praise to GOD!

9. TBlazen

TBlazen Rider Doooood

Great guy, awesome story...

I made it a point to shake his hand and say "Congratulations"

10. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I've got a question regarding placing. Since they don't spell it out, does anyone know if the results include DNS and DNF?
    I don't know if they even know who all the starters are since us season signups don't check in every race.
    In a typical class I'll se most people with times and then 6-8 or so w/o times.
    Since I'm usually near last; I'd prefer that the people behind me by DNF's rather than DNS.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I believe that as long as you are registered to race that day.....you will get either a finishing time or a DNF. We do not keep track of DNF's or DNS's.

12. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Mtnbikej - I get you don't keep track of DNS or DNF.
    If a rider registers for just that race and DNF's he would have no time.
    If someone registers for the season and doesn't show for a race, I imagine they would be on the results as well, even though they didn't race.

13. mtnbikej

14. mtnbikej

15. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    So when I get hone from the office, I go to get my mail and see this months issue of MBA. I go straight to my home "office" and open it up, and to my suprise the is a 3 page write up on OTH! For those who read it, what do you think? I thought it was a great portrayal of our Tuesday evening race!

16. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    We just got ours, and I'm checking it out right now. So awesome! It seems to capture the spirit of OTH really well.

17. thomaswildchild

thomaswildchild Active Member

I am a Machinist
    Home Page:
    I think Im going to have to actually Pick a copy up! DONT SPOIL IT, unless you wanna let me read your copy!

18. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Had the pleasure of meeting "Jimmy Mac" at the second or third race!
    (very cool person) :clap:

I saw him. I put down the cowbell. Said hello. Informed him that we shared a very close personal friend. Told him I thought he was cool. Went back to ringing the bell...

Two minutes later:
    I walked over to him (and said the following), "uhhh... ok, listen.... if ya' hear me insulting anyone (i.e. Brownie, Hotchkiss, Jojon, Rodger), I SWEAR they friends." 8-[

(pretty sure he thought a few of the zingers were funny) ;)

19. denmother

20. Zulu

Zulu New Member

Nice.
    I need to get out to this race before its over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.