Race Report OTH #4 - Disco Fever

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by HighRevPhoto, Jun 14, 2011.

1. dacaboose

dacaboose Nuclear Powered

Grad Student
    2.5 laps was 11.5 miles. 3.5 laps was 16.2. Longest race yet...

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Check out Geoladders........I am sure someone posted the beginner course.

3. Sheeniethemeanie

Sheeniethemeanie Go to FB to see pics!

I dont have one...:(
    Man i had an awesome time cheering for everybody! Dino showing off his disco moves in costume was quite disturbing (in a good way ;))! I gotta say that i want my cow bell back...ringing the bell was really starting to annoy me so i can only imagine how annoying it was when your trying to concentrate on getting up the hill. Either way i think we need more cheerleaders on the course! Seeing the riders who want to give up but when they get cheered for they keep pushing themselves! Just watching everybody was getting me tired so i would a appreciate some cheerleaders if i was a rider. Any who, great job everybody!!

4. pmortuary

pmortuary They call me D2

Lead CAD Designer
    First I'd like to thank my Sponser for the night FULLERTON BIKES. Without their support I would not have raced last night. I come from a much more adrenaline filled side of this sport and have a real hard time convincing myself to go out and suffer for an hour by choice. I've raced DH for a few years an occasionally dabble in some Super D. but the thought of being anywhere near competitive in a Cross Country I thought was laughable. Until last night.

I got a few key pieces of advice from DB (D1) on tire selection and starting. I jumped out with the front 15 or so in B1 picked off a couple on the flat then a few more on the first climb. the cluster got the the steep hill on the back and everyone dismounted and ran up the hill. I joined figuring most knew what they were doing. I rocked it on the asphalt jst after that and got a couple more. After that we were pretty set and I spent the rest of the race trading places with a couple other guys.

My latest batch of road riding certainly helped with being able to maintain a good pace on the flats while still finding time to fend off the multiple Asthma attacks. I pretty much had an hour long asthma induced coughing fit and even urrped once. I never thought I could push through feeling like that but somewhere inside a little voice told me if I get a good enough result I will have the bragging rights for a while and will only have to do this once.

As a approached the last corner I saw one last rider from my group I late breaked on him and got a really cool clean pass on the inside. About half way back to the finish the guy comes flying by like I was out for a stroll. Guess he didn't like that very much. I thought about giving chase but decided to let it roll. It's my first race and after all it's still beginner. I finshed feeling very confident that I was in the top 15 or even 10, But secretly hoping that it wasn;t too good otherwise I might have to do it again.

The funnest part for me was slowly catching the single speed class and giving the ones I know a little encouragement. Also very cool to come back to the STR tent have listen to everyones war stories be they victory or defeat.

Results got posted and I got 11 of 35 in B1 on my first race. I was so stinking excited. As a bonus I was the last person in the class to get a Glass (Mug).

Thanks again the Mike and FB. Ken for waiting for me to preride. STR and all the cool people I've meet through mountain biking.

Edit: P.S. don't tell anybody but I just might do it again anyway.

5. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    any stats on accent? left my garmin (and my game) at home as well

6. skirt_count455

skirt_count455 New Member

If i remember correctly, there was a course map at the registration table...I believe it was 10.2mi

edit: NVM, I was wrong.

7. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

Jerk, must be nice hitting more then 16 mph on the flats
    i feel you coming from the adrenaline side of the sport I just kept telling myself your doing good for fat a bmx/4x/dh/dj kid with a severe taco addiction

8. OCMoto

OCMoto Member

Nerd
    Great job out there last night everyone.

Dino, awesome outfit and cheering station! Since I am one of the ones who is constantly trying to provoke you to race, I will now stop that non-sense after last nights appearance. We couldn’t do those mid lap climbs without you and the others there.

I don’t know why I let you bastards talk me into doing a race in singlespeed class! It was painful but I did have fun at the same time and will probably be stupid enough to do it again. I think I had to re-adjust my insides this morning though after all of the full rigid jarring for 3.5 laps.

Hope to see you guys next week! Oh and Dino….I think next week you should race. :?:

9. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    I saw this ride on strava, and when I saw you pull in the parking lot (I knew by the bike), I thought, "this guy is freaking insane!" Good job out there.

I'm so blessed to be a part of what we have here. It's so cool see D2 and my buddy Joe fell in love with XC racing. It was even cooler seeing all the folks that Mike and FB sponsored last night (you guys rock!).

I got a DNF due to a flat that I may, or may not have, caused on purpose.

10. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Can someone PLEASE remind me to bring a few bike-related tools next week...

26er tube. 29er tube. Air canisters. Multi-tool. Zip ties. Electrical tape. Chain tool. Powerlink.
    Someone breaks down every week...

Thanks! :)

11. JSD

JSD Member

order desk
    Thanks Dino, ThomasWildChild, and all the other STR cheerleaders, it is a real inspiration. This was my fourth race and first accident, went OTB on the very first lap, just when I thought I had a good start going. Still did well enough to finish 8th in class. Good to see some new faces at the race.

12. spunout1

spunout1 New Member

Owner, Hall's Engine & Radiator
    Great idea! I will make myself a note to put in some extras for next week and bring by the STR tent to donate. If a couple of people do the same those going out on the course can be ready to help out.

13. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

haha! Thats how you do it! :bang::bang:

14. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

I'll personally donate a 29er tube to make sure no one else ACCIDENTALLY flats...

15. d'man

d'man Dirt Lover

Certified Financial Planner
    You may have not caught it, but I was able to let go of the bars and bust out a few "Y-M-C-A" moves ;). I must admit that I love the creativity of the hillside cheering section. The bar has been set high, we expect this kind of performance every week now.

16. JSD

JSD Member

order desk
    The pain I am still feeling makes me wonder, but if I had to do it again I would.

17. zman

zman WTF ?

Next week im bringing beer dammit , I wanted one so bad after the SS ride and no one had one .........FML :lol:

18. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

You didn't see me! I was passing out guinness!:drunk:

19. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

1. Sooo many people were climbing the hill (with one hand off the bar)... I clearly remember telling myself, "please don't crash... please don't crash because you are dancing to the music- instead of riding with BOTH hands on the bars) 8-[

2. Raising the bar is the easy part. Having the GUTS to go through with it- not so easy! Don't worry, the Mankini won't be making an appearance!

If you can't find a beer at a mountain bike race.... They must have sensed you were a roadie! :)

20. Racer X

Racer X Member

On your right!