Race Report Oth #3

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by driffter33, Jun 7, 2011.

1. driffter33

driffter33 Member

Had a blast at OTH today! I did get whooped up on but as a first ever race experience It was awesome!!!!!:bang:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011
  2. driffter33

driffter33 Member

So that's where that goes Thanks man!

3. zman

zman WTF ?

Ive missed the last 2 but next week ill be in fo sho :)

4. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    My race sucked, and I was worse! lol!!! DFL, nuff said.

5. dirtsnack

dirtsnack Member

cad/cam and cnc's
    Wrong choice of bike this week?? :)

6. skirt_count455

skirt_count455 New Member

it was fun hanging out with everyone again! our camp is getting pretty big, definitely digging it :)

lets see those pics you guys all took !

7. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

Ya no one started one before you posted, but there will be plenty others posting on their race experience so it may as will be your post that kicks it of.

8. driffter33

driffter33 Member

Hey I got 5th!!! 5th from last!!:beer:

9. evof3nd3r

evof3nd3r New Member

Software Analyst
    I finally got in the single digits!!! 9th place in Sport 1. I don't care if it's in part by people moving up :lol: I'm psyched regardless

10. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    HA!!! No... that wasn't it, I just didn't have the bike prepared correctly, or myself.. but I still had fun. I finished my 3.5 laps, that's about all I can say.

11. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    Fun evening with a gnarly climb. Not a complaint, but a suggestion; if you know you are going to HAB the steeps up at the foot of the hill, please allow riders to pass in the middle by merging left or right. Remember, when you are off your bike, you are twice as wide. I had such a hard time manuvering trying to maintain traction on THAT climb swerving through hikers (it was a goal of mine to clean all of those climbs). Again, NOT a complaint! If this is the worst of it, i'm in pretty good shape!

BTW-What is the proper etiquete when dealing with this situation? It just seems to be the right thing to do. I'm by no means "fast". Truth be told, after THAT climb, my HR was through the roof and I had to slow down!

12. skirt_count455

First mud, then sand, then "that" climb.....I wonder what's next....a swim?

13. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP

[​IMG]

14. skirt_count455

lullzz!! i'd have to get off and walk my bike accross that!.....wait wut?

15. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    Great job out there everyone! Quite a few of you are moving up thru the ranks!!:clap: Well done! Thanks Dino and Thomas for cheering/supporting out there!!!:wave: A bit more smack-talk out of Thomas this week, made me laugh.. I had a hard time getting my legs to do what they were supposed to do, which I expected tonight. I had a strategy though, start out dead last, and start working my way up (if I could) without blowing my legs out. It worked out alright.
    I enjoyed the course tonight, although, did anyone else have a rough time keeping track of what lap/half-a-lap they were on? They did that a few times last year, and I remember being confused, but tonight I started panicking, and had to watch the Beginner's class finish to know how many more I had to go.:lol:

16. ridetillitburns

ridetillitburns Member

Acupuncturist
    The climbs were an added feature that actually helped me and the fast descending.. whats up with the expert class trying to get you to move or get out of there way when you are trying to pass another rider as well. anyone have any advice on what or how you handle that situation?

That was very confusing I had to ask about 5 of the guys with flags questions wich was hard since your riding past them , i almost went fora 4th lap before i realized i was done.. but the climbs i really enjoyed i'm a strong climber , wasn't to happy with all the bottle necks at the steep climbs and at the sand pits and the bridge...

17. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    There seemed to be a few issues out there with some of the Experts. Some are really respectful and nice, and some are.... well, the opposite. I believe someone talked to the race director about it. I'm sure there's only so much he can do though. It seems to be inevitable. At least all the cool racers out there far out-weigh the negative ones!

Congrats, by the way on finishing 1st tonight!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011
  18. ridetillitburns

ridetillitburns Member

Acupuncturist
    Did thomas take more pictures? anyone got any links to some photos of today?

19. burritoh

burritoh New Member

Okay, second OTH race in the books for me, and had a another awesome time. Big thanks to the OTH crew for putting on a fantastic event. I am really starting to look forward to this each week. Really exciting to see so many riders out there racing on a week night. Brought the family along this time, and my 8yr old daughter is already looking forward to giving the kid's race a shot. She's usually really shy about this kind of stuff, so really stoked on this!

I really liked last week's course, but this one was really fun as well. Like most out there, I had issues with the HAB climb. Cleaned it only once, but that was only when there was no traffic at the bottom. Alot of people seemed to lose traction and momentum at the bottom, hence the bottleneck. All part of racing so it's all good!

(Raises hand high) Being the inexperienced racing noob that I am, I went past the finish line on the last lap and toward the parking lot when I noticed that there was nobody in front or behind me, lol. I turned around, asked a couple riders along the side about what lap everyone was on (which was a stupid question to ask a bystander, by the way), but got a shrug and a blank stare, so I slowly backtracked toward the finish exit and was finally able to confirm that I was done, albeit a couple minutes late. So, note to self for next time: Make sure to keep track of what lap you're on!

20. ridetillitburns

ridetillitburns Member

Acupuncturist
    keeping track of how many full laps was a piece of cake its the half lap thing that made it confusing...