Race Report Oth #1

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by thomaswildchild, May 24, 2011.

1. scsurfer

scsurfer New Member

The photo's are up from High Rev photography..Thanks Jason for all the great photos of the event.

2. evof3nd3r

evof3nd3r New Member

Software Analyst
    I am not in a single one of those photos 8-[ not even in the background

Oh well, maybe next time

3. HighRevPhoto

HighRevPhoto New Member

Home Page:
    Photos are all up. I know it sucks to not have any photos of you after the race but just please remember I'm only one person and to get a shot of everyone with that many racers is impossible. Coming by in a group, or maybe I'm moving spots, etc. The great thing about this series is that there is always next week.

Also feel free to email me if you'll be out there next week and give me your bib number and I'll try and keep my eyes open. Thanks!!

And lastly, if you use the coupon code OTH you'll get 10% off any orders, which includes any photos from last year as well.

http://highrevphoto.com/photos/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=2230

4. Singular

Singular Happy is single & speedin

Web Designer
    I disagree with some of your comments. Are you Pro/Expert rider to dictate who wins or not?

"Don't expect a win if you are fat." Come on buddy!! This is an opportunity for people that want a change in there life. No matter what shape or condition they are in. There out there doing what they can, along with there busy scheduled life. Some need direction while other don't, some put more hours on the saddle while others put less. However, I'm sure you think back in time when you where a beginner...right? It was hard as hell! I'm pretty sure you complained and it took some time to figure things out.

Everyone out there is trying to do there best. Sure it's painful and grueling at times. That's what makes the sport interesting. Most people if not many, are afraid of a simple challenge in their life. They stay home on the couch, unmotivated to do anything . Although I love my couch from time to time drinking a beer. That's whole other story.

So what I'm saying my friend is don't put other people down. No matter their status or physical condition. I'm sure you do understand.

Cat 3 beginner- 6-10 with 3 years riding experience
    Cat 2 Sport----8-12

What's that about? You have statistics to back this up? Remember Fun, Fun, Fun!

5. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I hope that's not necessarily true... Pro here and I get usually 10-12hrs a week training :D

It's a fun weeknight race series, it isn't the Pro Tour. Enjoy it, bring the family, try your best every week.

"It doesn't get easier, you just get faster."

6. heith

heith Member

management
    I know it's not the tour.. I'm just disappointed in peoples remarks about calling anyone who won the first race of a series a sandbagger. I just want to take their side.
    You can get away with those hours because you are gifted and they are most likely well spent. I'm not that gifted and never will be.

Like I said, I'm having fun. When I start complaining about people out on the race course like all of you then you can call me out. I don't get why you guys are talking about me not having fun when I'm talking about you guys complaining about people winning. It has nothing to do with the race, more about complainers on a forum. It was the first race!.....And you guys got beginners who finished mid pack in their first race ever thinking about upgrading for fear of being ridiculed..amazing, and I'm not having fun?

7. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah I'm actually agreeing with you that it was just the first race, and all races have people that could/should move up and don't for whatever reason. I was stoked to take home a pint glass - not gonna lie! Just trying to keep the mood mellow/fun cause it is supposedly to be a local fun event, that's all.

Not sure if I'm gifted, just too stupid to stop sometimes.

Happy Memorial Weekend everyone!!

8. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

That's a rather offensive statement to Allison, whether she takes it that way or not. Allison wasn't gifted with the ability to ride a bike. I remember when she started out. There were no natural talents or abilities that I was aware of.

What I do know is that she invested a lot of time and effort in riding to work her way up to the fitness level where she is. Most anyone who is so motivated can do the same thing. This wasn't a gift. She worked her ass off for the results she's now achieving.

Top athletes don't become that way by accident, and citing that it is a 'gift' is an insult to one's efforts. If you want to use it as an excuse for your own lack of personal motivation, that's fine, but you shouldn't insult others who are willing to do the work it takes to get the results.

9. heith

heith Member

management
    Not true, if she's racing at the PRO level, she is gifted. If you think you can make it to a pro level peloton on 12 hours a week and not be gifted you are crazy. No doubt she trains hard, but to say she isn't superior or to think any old joe can make it to the pro level on just plain sweat is trying to insult all of us.
    She is an elite level athlete and they to must train hard, true. But she is also gifted with abilities and a pain threshold most of us were not afforded. I for one am glad she isn't waisting it! I'm glad she realized her abilities and brought them to a level most of us can only dream to be at.

My VO2 max is, well, what it is, and I have my threshold to 90% of that.. I can basically go no further no matter what I do. My genetics just wont allow it. I will try but most likely not progress much. For you to assume I just need to train harder to jump several classifications up is ignorant.

10. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

/\ It's not about training harder, it's about training smarter. If you really want to improve your results, seek a qualified coach. One example is www.phase-iv.net.

Or you could keep coming up with excuses why your results suck.

11. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Hey guys....this the OTH Race #1 Ride Report thread. Fun, family oriented MTB race - not so much the place to argue someone else's gifts or talents.

I for one think it is WAY cool to be on the same course at the same time with that caliber of rider, my kid too. Tickles me when tinker or Allison FLY by me - if I could ring a cow bell while sucking wind on climb I would. I'm happy to contribute my $25 bucks and have a great time riding, hoping to move up from the middle of the pack, if not - so be it.

I will never participate in a sanctioned race, too busy trying to make ends meet, chase kids...and grandkids, and I have too many other hobbies in life that spread me too thin - both $ and time wise.

Thanks OTH for bringing us all together in a fun environment.

12. dacaboose

dacaboose Nuclear Powered

Grad Student
    So who knows a good EPO dealer?:-k

JK. Agreed, training for competition, especially one like OTH where it is a highly anaerobic effort, is one of those things that you need to learn from someone.

Good luck to all next week. I'm off to hop on my road bike and do intervals for an hour or so!

13. heith

heith Member

management
    I have a really good coach who is honest with me. I do hear what you're saying though.
    It's all relative I guess(sucking). There is always someone better and with all the disciplines in cycling I shouldn't say I suck at everything. Given what I got I find away to get the results I get and if anyone finishes behind me it doesn't mean they suck either. It was probably stupid I said that.

agreed

14. evof3nd3r

evof3nd3r New Member

Software Analyst
    You guys remember the mud?

...there was mud \\:D/

15. JoJon

JoJon Member

16. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Some good discussion - and Lee and Reval thank you. I appreciate your comments :) As Lee mentioned (and I resemble those remarks!) when I first started riding...wow. I was slow. I was behind slow. So many wonderful patient mountain bikers waited for my slow @$$, a LOT.

At any rate, I have never had anything tested so I wouldn't know what my blood lactate or V02 max are anyway, nor do I care to find out. I train hard and sometimes get it right.

I've always liked this quote, from Einstein:

“I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent; curiosity, obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my ideas.” My coach has never told me I don't have what it takes, and until he does, I'm going to keep thinking I do. Why not? I have something I want, and maybe I'll make it, and maybe I won't. But, I'm not afraid to put myself out there and do what I can to make it happen.

17. whybother

whybother New Member

Talk about offensive...
    I am not gifted either (unless being fat is a gift) and am now knocking on the back door of the pro class thanks to hard work and serious discipline.

I am not saying everyone should do what we do, it isn't fun at times to work that hard. I am saying that everyone rolling on two wheels should be having fun and challenging themselves to explore their limits. Who cares how much anyone trains.

Racing is just about enjoying the experience and the people. Don't get distracted. :)

18. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Wait your fat? :?::lol:

19. whybother

whybother New Member

Not now. 6 years ago I was nearly 100 lbs heavier. Only gift I have is a bottomless stomach!

20. ajsura

ajsura AJ G2 Bike

G2 Bike and Altitude Training
    Allison.....It was such a pleasure to have met you in person at Idyllwild...like I said when I approached you...I admire your determintation, will and drive.... and I love your quote...I hope to get to an OTH race.... and just keep doing what your doing.....make us all proud!