Race Report Oth #1

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by thomaswildchild, May 24, 2011.

1. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    Good first race.

I can't believe the folks racing sport risking their life and mine to pass. Seriously, $25 isn't worth it, neither is the pint glass.

I would have gladly chosen bees over mud....just sayin.

2. ADanFool

ADanFool New Member

Paper Boy
    "All of this. I was quite shocked. Having said that, I'm unbelievably happy finishing in the middle of the Sport 1 pack - especially for a first time, ever!"

This qualifies you as beating ALL of the folks in the beginner class, so Way to Go!!

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    In my quick view at the times. Generally, - if you podium'd = you need to move up now, 'cuz you'll prolly be on the podium a class up as well. If you're top 10 after 1 race, wait out the three and then you probably need to move up and fight to stay in the top ten.
    If you're like me and finish 70th in beginner - hopefully enough of the top 25 guys will move up to get me in the top 50 :lol:. Or, maybe I just lose weight, get fit and place higher all on my own?
    It's really not about how I place, but that I'm having fun racing; even if I am only racing with the back of the pack markers.
    I hope enough racers self-regulate and move up when/as they should.

4. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    Kudos to John for being here and listening to us. Please let us know if there's any trail work we can do before next Tuesday. I'm sure most of us will go out of our way to get the muddy end up to par.

5. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    What if one takes a sick or vacation day off from work to compete in a mid-week race? Said individual is racing and being paid at the same time. Is he now a professional racer?

6. Todd

Todd Member

Personal opinion re sandbaggers: if your average lap time puts you in the top 1/2 of the class above, you should move up. After a few races, the race organizers should start enforcing that rule.

7. nstilwell

nstilwell New Member

I raced in the super sport and had fun despite the head cold I can't seem to shake. After the first lap you really seem to lose who you're racing with as I think I got passed by some sport racers that I assume started a minute behind us...I was a little surprised there were only 14 in the super sport category. This is my first year trying out the whole racing thing so I wasn't really sure what category to enter, but I think I chose the right one. I might be back next week to give it a shot again.

8. zman

zman WTF ?

How about we are in the Top 5 in SS class ............... where do we go since we only have 1 class

Pinche Sandbaggers :lol:

9. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    There's always top 1

10. heith

heith Member

management
    SS is OPEN, if anyone has a problem with you they can come on over and give it a shot. Good job on the top 5

11. evof3nd3r

evof3nd3r New Member

Software Analyst
    Thanks, friend! :bang:

12. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    I need to crack the top 5

13. 1mtbjunkie

1mtbjunkie 3.2 blocks to beachwood

underwear model
    oth#1

Wait I miss spoke in my earlier post."mud sucks" however,"SANDBAGGERS SUCK BALLS"[-X[-X[-X

14. lucky13biker

lucky13biker New Member

did anybody have as much fun as i did cleaning ALL of the mud off of your bike???

15. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    I decided better to portage than to push thinking it would keep my bike cleaner. My shoes on the other and were as bad as a clam digger's

16. joekilabot

joekilabot Member

Overqualified Underachiever
    Amen!

17. salnov

salnov New Member

Thanks to everyone who raced...as a first timer, I didn't know what to expect and so it was what it was. I finished in the middle of my B4 class and was happy to have completed my first-ever race. My experience included a really helpful and positive staff of organizers, riders that stopped to check if I was okay on my crash and pro's who reminded me, in the mud, that it was a race. I hope I learned something, as I signed up for the series. Thanks to Ryan Lauterborn...wouldn't have had the opportunity if you hadn't mentioned it to me.

If anyone has any tips for a beginner, I'd appreciate hearing them! From what I've read, I'm guessing one of them maybe understanding when I should be moving up classes.

18. heith

heith Member

management
    1. Move up when you win a series and/or lay down the fastest race time of the day in all age groups in your category.
    2. If you feel capable of moving up to the next class without getting in the way or slowing down the results process because you're not capable of finishing the extra lap within a acceptable time range.
    Dont' worry about feeling like a sandbagger, if you never won a race in your life and you train hard and finally win one it doesn't make you a sandbagger. learn what you can in the cat you are in and move up when you think you are ready. Don't rush anything, you will be a better racer for it. Just because you are fast doesn't mean you know how to pass safely and race smart. Veteran racers don't want a newb racers attitude breathing down his neck.
    Also don't worry about the sandbagger in your class either, if you train hard you will catch him eventually. If you don't want to train hard, then you don't deserve a win anyways. No one really wants to sandbag the beginner class and will most likely move up when the season is over. But if they were finishing mid pack last year and trained hard to now be finishing on the podium, they deserve it. You guys whining just don't know what it takes, or maybe you do and are just not willing. But because you don't want to, does not mean you should take away from those that do. if you just want to show up on 2.5 hours a week of training and roll around in circles then do it. But when someone kicks your ass, don't cry.

Don't expect a win if you are fat.
    Don't expect or think you deserve a win if you aren't putting a weekly amount of quality hours.
    Cat 3 beginner- 6-10 with 3 years riding experience
    Cat 2 Sport----8-12

19. wraschke

wraschke New Member

Student
    my race sucked, little to my knowledge did i know i was getting the flu that night and would feel like crap til today. :/ the mud sucked and seemed to zap me big time. whatever though we all had to race thru the mud.

20. wraschke

wraschke New Member

Student
    I raced b1 last year, id only been riding for 8 months at that point. I used my love of climbing to punish my field towards the end of the series. If you can dont use your 22tooth, just climb in the middle ring until you get to the crest of any hill and then shift to the big ring and hammer like you've never hammered before. In beginner no one wants to push their bodies. so push the pain threshold and get on the bike as much as possible.