Race Report Oth #1 2013(merged)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by thomaswildchild, May 21, 2013.

1. boxedlp

boxedlp New Member

health care
    I literally ate everyone's dust. On the first climb I felt my lungs tighten inhaler did not work, as soon as the fast guys were making their second lap on the first Downhill, I knew I bit more than I can chew and will just be an obstacle. did not even register in the list of dnf because I didn't even made a lap. It was fun and an eye opener. Good luck to everyone on the next race!

2. doubleoh7

doubleoh7 Called to Creation

Self Employed
    Home Page:
  3. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    1. Congrats on your finish
    2. Actually no, i disagree with you.
    3. If you need to discuss this further more, pm me at you're convenience =)

Thanks, M

4. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was just kidding. Good job out there yesterday.

The general trend at the races is that anyone who beats anyone else is a sandbagger. Last summer I was talking to someone who was complaining about all of the people that needed to move up in his class, and when I asked where he finished he answered "23rd". ha ha Me? I'm a moto guy. If you get beat it means you need to work harder during the week to catch them. It looks like you picked up a lot of speed in the off season, which is awesome.

5. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    Thanks for the heads up, i was not sure where to go with it. Maybe im still in race mode..... Awesome 23rd place story =)

I did not pick up my training, just Modified it. I wish i had a road bike, but i do Spin-class at the Gym. Always looking on CL for a freebie.

6. BIO

BIO New Member

Mario i hope you take this as a compliment and not an insult. i think your lap times are more consistent for a Super sport class, i know you have the skills and the stamina to keeep up and score a good place in the super sport class, that being said congrats on your win!!!

7. BIO

BIO New Member

well i know it should be up to the rider to move up or stay judging him self if he really gave his all or if he just rode hard without giving his all, is up to the ethic of X rider to be honest to himself and move up.

8. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    I agree 100%. I have always moved myself up when I felt I was competitive (5th to 10th) with the next class up. I never had any fun winning a slower class. The thing is (and this seems to be across all racing not just MTB) people REALLY want a trophy and feel that anyone beating them is a sandbagger. Now, I just make the same joke I made earlier when ANYONE beats me at anything.

There was a local vet motocross race club that started out with Beginner, Novice, Intermediate, and Pro. The classes were big and SUPER competitive. It was not uncommon for 30 Int to have 25+ on the gate and people complained all the time about the leaders were sandbagging and should not be in the class. The promoter invested in timing chips and would compare lap times. If you were competitive in the next class you got moved up. What he found was there were a few isolated people who would have won the next class up, but for the most part the top 5 of one class would be 15th to 20th in the next class (ex:novice to intermediate) which showed they were in the correct class.

People STILL complained so much that he started breaking up the classes more. By the time I quit there was Intermediate 1 and Intermediate 2 (same age group where Intermediate 1 was the faster group) and the beginners were beginner, true beginner, and 1st time beginner. It was insane.

I had a conversation with one of the true beginners who was complaining that he couldn't run up front. I asked him why so many people have trouble accepting the fact that they just suck? :lol:

9. PLSPhotography

PLSPhotography New Member

Owner of PLS Photography
    Home Page:
    We are nearly finished editing pics from Tuesday's big race at OTH. Pictures are loading to our web site but it will take most of the day for the 1000 plus photos to load. I will post a direct link as soon as everything is loaded. Have a great day!

AT1H4439R.jpg

10. Teebird

Teebird A band-aid isn't going to work this time

Anyone having issues with registering for the 28May2013 race? When I click I already have a plate, it does NOT come up with a list of names so it would make me reenter name, class, address, etc.

11. wheeler

wheeler Member

Being my first race I had no idea what I was doing, what class to be in etc....One buddy told me to race Beginner and another said Sport. I chose Beginner and did well. Should I move up a class or stay Beginner for the season because that is where I started?

12. Teebird

Teebird A band-aid isn't going to work this time

I say check your lap times. That's just me.

13. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    +1

14. wheeler

wheeler Member

Thanks I did.....that is why I am thinking about it.

15. Ed_284

Ed_284 New Member

Sounds like VetX. The races also turned into an all day event due to all the classes.

16. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    These races are all about having fun. If you feel like you are a beginner, are happy with how you are progressing (and aren't running away with it), and cross the finish with a smile, then stay in beginner. One race may not be enough to make a decision anyway. Whenever you feel like you are getting bored or you decide you are ready for more of a challenge (and another lap) move up. Depending on your fitness level, that extra lap may hurt. ha ha

17. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    Ding Ding Ding! That's when I quit racing with them.

18. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
  19. wheeler

wheeler Member

Thanks.......I did have fun...more fun than I thought. The best part was taking to the guy that finished just behind me. SUPER cool and we were joking about the race and met a new friend!

20. Allthatflash

Allthatflash New Member

Photographer/ Owner of Pedal Power Events
    This dude need cycling manners....Ran wide on a DH and came back in right in front of me...after I yelled "to your left" he still jammed his bike right in front of me almost almost taking my front.....