Orange Cycle and BikeAttack

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by Kid A, Jul 11, 2007.

1. agenthaas

agenthaas Rockin' the Suburbs

Graphic Designer
    I got my Giant XTC2 from Orange Cycle. It's two blocks from my house, so convenience is a factor. But I just talk to Al each time I stop in and he's good to deal with. I'd agree that The Path and Adrenaline are better shops for enthusiasts and long-time riders, but Orange Cycle has been good for a newbie like myself.

2. dragonsback

dragonsback Banned

Many things in order to support riding
    Never understood why all the Rock 'n Road's never get mentioned on sites....:?:
    They only have 4 stores in OC and have never let myself down.

Too many Path minions in OC
    Kool-aid is GOOOOOD:-k

3. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Bike Attack- Small shop, loyal customers (i.e. one or two people are always out-back "parking lot testing" or talking about bikes). Knowledgeable staff. Free lifetime service. I am 100% certain they sell their fair share of cruisers. Selection is better than a Mom and Pop (nothing like Incycle/Path)... I believe they have (or did have) a small but devoted crew of DH RIDERS!!!

Dragonsback- I agree with you... Rock N Road Cyclery does not receive anywhere near the recognition they deserve! Competent! Professional! Great selection! Trustworthy! Those would be the first words that come to mind.
    Best part is: quite a few of our members just so happen to work there... ;)

4. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    I happen to be friends with John Jr who is the owners son. The things said are all true. I happen to live around the corner from them. Personally, if I see John Sr in there I will not go in. He is not there all the time. John Jr, sis and mom are great! Al and the other mechanic are amazing.

5. nomadFF

nomadFF Member

LACoFD
    I have been to Orange Cycle a couple times, it was the first shop that popped into mind when I was having a bad dream about Switchback closing. My thought was how the hell is that place able to stay open and Switchback has to close the doors, just wrong. Luckily my dream is over and Switchback is staying open. And I can still drive by the other place and be happy I have no reason to stop.

Switchback=:clap:

6. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Ok whos got a boot r for 100$ I took my bike to Orange cycle Sunday to get the rear wheel trued. Well Al said my bike sucked and walked out from the back of the shop with a new boot R. What a di............ head.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009
  7. -AL-

-AL- New Member

Bike Shop Dude
    Sorry guy that was sarcasm. I was actually making fun of the Boot'r because I had to build it for someone that Mongoose gave it to and it just seemed like a flimsy piece of shit. We were joking around when you left and I didn't realize you took offence.

8. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    No I did not take offense. Its all good :). I will still ride Mongoose. I like them no matter what anybody says.

9. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    So i was commuting from Santa Ana to Corona and went by Orange cycle. I had got a flat just before i got to the shop and realized i did not have a wrench for my rear wheel. I went into orange to get a flat fixed. John Senior was there and said he could do it while i waited. After 20 minutes his mechanic came out and could not remove my rear wheel. I could see the 15mm wrench on the counter and suggested he tried it. He would not and i offered to give it a try. After i loosened the axle nut i was told that the nuts were reverse thread and that is why he could not undo them. I finished and put the new tube in. John senior then happily charged me for one tube and one tube install. I asked if i get paid for doing for the install since i did the work but he would not go along with it.

This was about 10 years ago and i don't think Al was around but it was pretty silly.

10. slayer

slayer New Member

i walked in there a couple of weeks ago, there were 3 employees at the counter and 1 customer, not one of them said hi or asked if i needed help. i looked at their selection of bikes, not impressed, and left. that was my experience, i won't be going back there anytime soon.

11. Jubz

Jubz Member

I've been there a couple of times shopping for a FS mtn. They had Giants and Specialized bikes there to check out. I wasn't very impressed with the couple of folks who tried to help me. Didn't seem to know very much about the bikes compared to the other LBS's I've checked out. There wasn't any real enthusiasm or passion for mtn bikes or mtn biking in general.

Pass.

12. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    Other than Al ,the people there really have no clue. I dont want to talk sh!T, but the customer service is horrible. If I did not know Al I would never use the shop. It really is that bad.They are there to sell bikes and nothing else from what I gather.

13. -AL-

-AL- New Member

Bike Shop Dude
    =(

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2009
  14. MTB26

MTB26 New Member

Sorry to hear the news Al. You were the "go to" guy for that shop. You'll be missed by the customers who knew to ask for you by name. Take care big guy and good luck.

15. I'llHeckleYa

I'llHeckleYa New Member

I think I'll thow my $0.02 since I live in Orange and have bought a bike from each of the two shops mentioned here. As a newbie I bought my first MTB at Orange Cycle, I dealt with Al, it was a base line Giant Reign, he did well for me on the price, I was pleased. Then I fell on the bike and messed up the front brakes and took it back and somebody besides him told me the needed to be bled and they'd be fine. They did their thing, I paid and nothing was fixed.

This took me to Switchback, I liked them, they knew what was wrong, they taught me how they went about fixing it and I got the bike back up and running. Then I sold that bike and bought a new one from Switchback, it was a special order, and was promised to be in by a certain day and was about 2 weeks late if memory serves, and everytime I tried to inquire about it I felt like I was bothering them. I got over it once the bike finally came, and they gave me my 6 months of free service (while most shops give 1 year of free service) and all was well. Then I decide was ready to start road biking, so I went to Switchback and spent lots of time talking with Jason about road bikes and he throughly educated me, he knows his chit and is very helpful.

We finally landed on a bike and I pulled the trigger, we orderded it up, this made me nervious considering my past ordering experiance with them but I went for it (and put half down up front) Well just like before, the bike was promised by a certian day and was constantly put off till a later date- this happend about 3 times. And every time it was supposed to come in, I had to call them to see where it is, because they would never call me to give an update.

After feeling like my order was nothing special to them, I cancelled my order and ended up going to the path.

As soon as I went in there, they took their time to teach me about their brands carried and worked me a gread deal on a nice road bike, I've been back for service and all kinds of parts and they always have what I need.

Bottom line, if you need a shop in the Orange, Tusin, Santa Ana area, go to The Path.

Sorry for the long story, but I had to share.

16. mattmaple

mattmaple New Member

I met one of the mechanics from Orange Cycle in Rod's liquor in the circle. I dropped my beers and he helped me pick them up. He was riding a sweet Specialized Tarmac and was wearing the Specialized Track Jacket that I hope Santa brings me this year. So they can't all be that bad...

They've survived in Old Towne Orange forever, I just don't think they necessarily cater to the STR crowd. A ton of Chapman College kids stay on two wheels because of them.

BTW, do they live there in the shop? I've always wondered about that back corner with the couch, TV, espresso machine, etc. How cool would it be to live in a bike shop...

17. 26'er Zen Master

26'er Zen Master S.F.B

Doggie dentals
    Home Page:
    I am sorry to hear this you were awesome there. And John Sr. is great I plan on being just as grumpy and set inmy ways as he is at his age John jr and the rest of the gang are great people and have always been good to me.

18. BIGChris

BIGChris New Member

SKIP Orange Cycle, and SKIP Jax too while you're at it.

19. -AL-

-AL- New Member

Bike Shop Dude
    I have now been let go. It's a blessing in disguise. Hopefully my dream job will come through and I could bounce ideas off some of you in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2009
  20. ipXpert

ipXpert New Member

Consumerist
    Al,

The last time I was in Orange Cycle was to get my bike tuned. John Sr. was acting like a drunk and either yelling at customers or yelling at you. I gave you my bike and you basically tossed it up against the wall and it fell down right in front of me. I was a bit surprised you didn't at least look over to me say sorry but with John Sr. all over your back at that moment for something that made no sense I felt grace should be given and I simply left the shop.

If anyone knows where I can get a deal on a 09 Roubaix size 56, let me know. If you have suggestions on where to buy it, please let me know.

Al,

After being in that shop a total of 6 times, I can say that you are better off making lattes at Starbucks. No one should put up with what you did. Its too bad because the rest of the team/family are great.