Nice roads/routes in Brea, Fullerton, Yorba Linda?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by fongster, Jan 27, 2013.

1. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I'm trying to plan a ride while my car gets repaired. I'll have a good 3 to 4-plus hours to kill. Starting near Kraemer and Orangethorpe in Placentia. I've ridden a lot in YL from Imperial going eastward, would like to try west/north of that. I don't mind climbing at all. Thanks.

2. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Pdeal up Kraemer or Rose, hit CHSP, then pedal back?

Unless you're going roadie on the santa ana river bike path (not SART), that's my best suggestion.

More descriptive: go Orangethorpe to kellogg, then YL parkway to Fairmont to Rim crest.

3. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    David, Hit up my office on Placentia and Orangethorpe we can have a couple of brews at the Breuery!

4. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    Try the Brea canyon/carbon canyon loop. Either direction.

5. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    It's gonna be road bike.

6. ducatirider2

ducatirider2 Beer talks, people mumble

GM at Ducati/ Triumph Newport Beach, investor at N
    Carbon Canyon (Lambert)/ Chino Hills Parkway/ Grand/ Diamond Bar Blvd (turns into Brea Canyon) is a nice loop, check it out.

7. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    if you're doing carbon canyon, be careful. cars have a tendency to go fast in there

Sent from my MB870 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

8. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

It is a nice loop, I was going to say the same thing. Great views on a clear day. I'd probably try to avoid the rush hours though, I have only done it on weekends but could imagine folks flying through there in the morning or after work, etc. And it is narrow in spots.

9. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    The CC loop sounds sweet. I'd be riding between 10-2. How many miles is that loop? How much vert feet of climbing?

10. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Here's something very similar to what I did--this takes off from Rock N Road in Anaheim Hills. Not a ton of elevation, 1500 feet over 27 miles. There are times when you feel "out there" and definitely can tell you cross beyond the "Orange Curtain" but in a good way.

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=19312

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
  11. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    So I rode the Carbon Canyon loop proposed here. The weather was overcast and cool--make that cold. I was underdressed. I wished I'd wore long tights or at least knickers instead of shorts. I ended up keeping on my wind jacket and arm warmers the entire ride. This all said, I went into the ride distracted by the cold and bummed as it was so dreary out. I think this kind of created a negative impression of the route on me. CC Road from the west looked newly paved with a 4 foot shoulder for several miles. It then turned narrower with little more than a fog stripe with zero add'l room for a bike. Traffic was heavier than I thought even though I was after morning rush. It seems this road is a major thoroughfare all hours on a weekday. Drivers were ok. No horns or swerves towards me. After a twisty d/h section (interesting to do with cars), it opens to wide shoulders and open hills again.

The loop isn't really attractive at this point, going past housing tracts and shopping centers. There's a strategically placed sports park with RRs and water at the top of Grand Avenue hill. Downhill from there was pretty nice and then a left onto Brea Canyon. The latter didn't have too much traffic and was a fast flat and slight d/h stretch surrounded by green hills. I think I'd rather do this early loop on a weekend due to the cars and trucks on CC Road. As for canyons, Santiago and Laguna are way nicer in my opinion. Still had a nice ride (my attitude got better at the end).

Here's my Strava (starting from the car repair shop in Placentia) http://app.strava.com/activities/39881636

12. Von Petrol

Von Petrol Member

Commerical Photographer
    I think if you ride it clockwise you would enjoy it more! I think some loops flow better in one direction than the other.

13. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I'll try that or at least counter-clockwise on a sunny day. The way I took wasn't that bad, I liked the amount of climbing. Clockwise sure would be faster--no left turn waits at signals. There were some long ones.