New roadies

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by allison, Mar 7, 2007.

1. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Hello, hubby and I just picked up road bikes last night. We've been mountain biking for about a year and a half. Don't have outside photos yet. Hey, BTW, mountain bikers require photos of bikes out on the trail in nature in order to be "real" bike pics. Where do you take photos of road bikes aside from in front of the garage?? :-k

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't worry, we picked up some of this to make up for the road bikes ;)

[​IMG]

2. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    Those are a couple of sweet rides! I've found that my road riding has only made my mtbing better! I think you'll find the same.

3. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm definitely hoping so! Also got them to commute, which we did this morning. \\:D/

4. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Hey Congrats on the new additions to your stable. Great aspects to mixing it up with road rides.:bang:
    See you at Southridge this weekend. Look forward to meeting you both. :)
    Oh yea...way to top it off with the last pic...lol. Yum...

5. 0gravity

0gravity New Member

Editor, Windpower Monthly (trade magazine)
    Nice rides. I think it's great to have both mtn and road bikes, especially for staying in shape when you can more easily whip out a road ride if you don't have time to get the mtn bikes to a trail head. That's what I do. I'd much rather be mtn biking but sometimes I just need to spin some miles on the road bike. I suspect most of the top, competitive mtn racers train quite a bit on road bikes.

Drop a line if you ever ride mtn or road up on the West side. The GF and I ride both.

6. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Congrats on the purchases!

I don't know where you take pics of road bikes...do you have cars in the background? Probably not. I suppose you're supposed to take beauty shots while doing rides like the Solvang Century.

I have a nice GT ZR1000 road bike (probably the last GT road frame made in Santa Ana). I don't ride it that often, but I really enjoy it when I do. I hope to never have to sell it. It recently got some use on the Acura Bike Tour. Come to think of it, of all my bikes, it's been the most reliable.

7. cH4os

cH4os LIVE IT! RIDE IT! LOVE IT

PMO
    Yeah, the action shot from an organized event seem to be cool... although if you can pull it off, a Picture from a Pack is always cool... those are easy at the beginning of a ride... the Ensenada Rosarito Ride coming up is always a good shot, as there are 5,000-10,000 cyclists, which is a true pack...

8. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Ooh that reminds me! I need to order my gorilla pod. I just don't want to leave the camera hooked up and fall. Not only would that be bad for the bike, but a camera killer.

I love taking shots while mountain biking, but I dunno. Seems road riding is a bit different. Guess I'll have to learn to ride no handed :) Might try to do a solo (er, with hubby) lunch ride tomorrow and take photos. Just cause I like doing stuff like that.

I'm too slow to ride with a group just yet. We climbed like 300 ft at lunch and I could not keep up on any hills. #-o

9. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    What we haven't told the other mtb'ers is that we have some outrageous nature views out there. They think we ride mostly in the city, where what we typically ride is off the beaten path. Solvang, Amtrak Century, Santiago Canyon, PCH,Carbon Canyon, GMR, and thousands of miles of back roads that will sometimes blow your mind with how beautiful it is so close to home. We do a lot of road rides and if you guys ever want to join us, just PM us and we will tell you the local weekend rides.

10. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Sweet, thanks! I'll definitely do that at some point. We got in about 32 miles today! Not bad for a first day with the bikes :)

11. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I recently got into road riding after mountain biking regularly for 4 years. Road riding is a totally different enjoyment than mountain biking. The speed is awesome. I have definitely in better shape and can climb better on the mountain after riding on the road. I am able to push a high gear while on the mountain.

Be sure to check back and see what we have going on.

12. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Road is good because usually for like a 5 hours long ride you have about 5 hours of saddle time, where with mountain bikes on most 5 hour rides you only have like 3 hours saddle time. I vote for some rides this weekend. I am looking at maybe doing the river trail from green mountain down and then maybe going up or down PCH for a bit before heading back. Maybe not. Then sunday I was thinking about santiago canyon

13. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    I have been a mountain biker for about 11 years. I was always better than average and did a lot of cross training because I couldn't make it out to the trail head everyday.
    About 3 years ago I started commuting to work, mostly for the excercise and also because traffic was really pissing me off. After commuting 4-5 times a week for four months my climbing ability went through the roof. The people who I used to dog it out with on an uphill hated it because I was at the top waiting for them all the time.

14. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    That's what I want to hear!! I would just like to make it up a climb and not be last :)

15. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Ride up on mountain roads. You can do like 10k ft of climbing easy when you start getting into the high amount of miles. Thats more than these guys do on their MTBs when they go out and only do like 3k ft of climbing. Plus, you tend to not stop and take breaks on the road like you do on the dirt.

16. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    i amy be gettin a track bike for commuting

17. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

and so it begins [-X

18. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Dude, no way!
    Ross, come back! Don't go to the dark side! Put slicks on the IH, it is about the same! :)