New options at the top of 5-Oaks - Aliso?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by herzalot, Feb 4, 2013.

1. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    The thing that's great about mountain bikers working on trails is that we know what works for bikes. I love that we do so much trail work in the County Parks and National Forest, and that the trails we work on are open to all users. So you're right.. good publicity.. a great opportunity to help trail design evolve.. and the satisfaction of giving back.

2. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Those so called "Strava lines" were there before Strava existed. After the trail was re-done years ago (it used to go straight down) knucklhead hikers and cyclist started cutting the switchbacks which is why the wood fencing that is falling apart was put up.

3. kioti

kioti Active Member

I contacted Ranger Ed, had a great conversation and got permission to work in Aliso. Thursday I rode the park and decided to start with Lynx, primarily because of the rut. I contacted Chris, the OP, along with other STR members who'd expressed interest in helping out. Got a good response and put it together for this morning, due to perfect trail work conditions.

There ended up being 8 of us-- Chris, Ray, Ryan, Brett, Dave, OMR, Mo and myself-- and we pretty much worked the trail from top to bottom. We re-established a bunch of drains, filled some ruts, fixed the big rut, shaved some brake bumps and trimmed some brush. I couldn't control myself and built a berm, which allowed us to narrow a wide section. We didn't mess with the rocks, because they're a core part of the trail. Overall, I think you'll find it generally unchanged, but faster and with better flow.

Thanks Chris, for getting me back to Aliso; I'd been away too long. It was great to meet a couple of you for the first time, hang out with some STR riders, work with next generation's trail builders and, of course, the legendary OMR. Thanks, guys, for showing up and getting it handled.

4. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Thanks Jim/Kioti for coordinating the effort. Great meeting everyone and learning from the pros about trail maintenance. Not a bad work-out, too! Can't wait to give Lynx a ride, maybe tomorrow. --Dave

5. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Lynx Repair

And here are some photos, courtesy of Kioti.

The big rut looking uphill (Brett, Ray, Dave):

Lynxrut.jpg

Rut's gone, but you can still catch some air into the section (Dave):
    LynxSmooth.jpg

Kioti strikes again - new berm at the top of the steep section, looking uphill:
    LynxBerm.jpg

Gonna go hit up Lynx and other trails in Aliso tomorrow. Thanks Jim (Kioti) for getting Ranger Ed's blessing and for being the "official" guy. Thanks Greg (OMR) from Warrior's for lending his vast experience, and thanks to trail lackeys Ryan, Brett, Ray, Dave and Mo for getting their pick, shovel and tamp on! Wait, that didn't sound right - for using the tamper, shovels, picks, McCleod and hedge trimmers/loppers to re-habilitate the drains and trail.

:bang: :beer:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  6. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    super fun day out there guys. It was nice making some new str friends. I ended up riding lynx after you guys took off, and to be honest, its up there on my favorite trails again. You can really get some speed now without worrying about crashing and needing to buy a womens helmet:lol:. Looking forward to more rides with you guys. Thanks again kioti

7. ShiverMeTimbers

ShiverMeTimbers New Member

environmental consultant
    lynx work - thank youi!!!

I went for a quick ride this evening down Lynx and noticed something was different (berm) then the ruts were filled in too. Sweet! Thanks guys! :bang::clap::clap::clap: Leadership by example...:wave:

8. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Dave (DCRFX) and I rode our group's handiwork on Lynx today. Funny, as I was flying down the trail I was thinking to myself "Where's the part we fixed?" Then, it became clear, just over halfway down. Happy to report that the dangerous ruts at the bottom are gone, but the trail was mostly left rough and entertaining/challenging. Jim's new berm was perfect. Good times if I do say so myself!

9. kioti

kioti Active Member

No trail work's complete without a test ride, so I guess I'd better get back over there!

That was fun yesterday; great day for dirt work, perfect sized crew. Saw more digging going on today, over in my neck of the woods. Maybe there's a virus going around.:-k

10. TMS

TMS New Member

I rode Lynx today and it was in the best condition that I have seen it in years (granted I don't ride it too often). Thanks to all who did the work on it!

11. kioti

kioti Active Member

^^Here's what's cool. An OP who didn't abandon his "post." A guy who was in on the original construction. A couple young trail builders. Myself. And 3 riders without a lot of experience, but who saw the thread and wanted to help out. All STR. A half day's work. A better trail for everyone. That's why I love this site.

12. rynine

rynine New Member

Space Monkey
    thanks again Kioti for organizing the dig! (which in my opinion is the hard part)

That was my first experience meeting up with STR peeps. Everyone there was awesome and I look forward to the next maintenance day!!!

13. kioti

kioti Active Member

It was good meeting you, Ryan. Thanks for all your hard work, too.

Organizing this sort of thing can be challenging, but the payoff is totally worth it. Not only did we go from Original Post to finished project in less than a week, I think we all made some new friends. And somehow Friday's rain was perfectly timed to give us epic dirt!

My hat's off to Ranger Ed for taking a chance on me, and you guys for getting it done. :clap:

14. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Those pics look nice.. can't wait to take my little guy for a couple of test runs on Wednesday after he gets out of school..

15. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    The first 3/4 of Lynx is still pretty rough. Ryan will like it.

16. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Awesome.. thanks for the trail work.. we love the rough part in the first 3/4th but that rutted section was getting dangerous for sure.. can't wait to be able to carry some speed through there and not worry as much about my little dude (or myself) getting tossed..

17. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

Video down Improved Lynx

Decided to go to Aliso today and try out the trail improvements on lynx, everything is really nice!

18. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Video? :?:

19. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

[video=youtube_share;Jg1JDOuJLUk]http://youtu.be/Jg1JDOuJLUk[/video]

20. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

here it is with out any youtube correction, first part is through vista trail then down lynx.