New options at the top of 5-Oaks - Aliso?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by herzalot, Feb 4, 2013.

1. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I took off for a fun drop down one of my favorite Aliso trails - 5-Oaks. I haven't been on the trail for months. After the culvert jump (which is PRIMO right now) I got confused by a new line someone cut to the left. Now there are three completely different routes over the first rock outcropping - kinda messy in my opinion. Was this new left line necessary? Was this sanctioned by the park rangers? I guess I have no problem with options, but it seems the more we widen trails and push them out in all directions, the more non-bikers will complain about scarring up the land and causing erosion blah, blah, blah. The rest of the trail was a blast, as always. 2 good solid berms in places where they were needed. This trail has definitely widened over the past three years as people push lines into the weeds when the center line gets rutted or too challenging. Just like Rattlesnake in El Moro. Even so, I love this trail.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Not so much the post...but the 'good grammar' ;)

3. Jones

Jones New Member

I was on 5 oaks yesterday and it was the first time I noticed that line to the left. It makes the trail slower IMO but it did look like the easy way down. I won't use it.

4. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

5. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    yeah theres been some funky stuff going on at alsio lately. That rut before the drop on the bottom of lynx is ridiculous now, and is no longer a feature but just looks like trail damage. Same with meadows, you can see where people kind of said forget the switchbacks and just cut em straight. Definitly in need of some trail work

6. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

i agree that left line is pretty pointless! seems like some amateur work just trying to play around with the dirt! deffinitely not a faster or more fun line! The lynx rut is pretty fattttt and does need to be touched up, its growing every time i ride the trail, and if it rains again its going to get even deeper, doesnt take away from the lynx fun for me though! the berm work on 5 oaks was sweet needed to be done for a while

7. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Yeah I don't think it was intended to be faster or more fun, almost looks like a P line created to avoid the little drop/roller for those who don't like that section.. very pointless I agree

8. rynine

rynine New Member

Space Monkey
    Kids are the culprits as far as the left line towards the top. I've tried to get them to quit messing around and stop building new lines and dumb jumps that are a foot tall and straight up. They don't listen.

as for the berms... you're welcome. ;)

9. socalbrodie

socalbrodie Member

Just rode it today. nice berms and minimal brake bumps make that trail flow so nice! I didnt even notice the left line near the top, but that crap needs to stop.

10. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    I call those "Strava Lines." Cutting has always existed to some degree, but there seems to be a rapidly increasing amount of it over the past year or so.

Yes. You can see the "new" left line clearly at :41.

11. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    you still have to hike up the trail to access the trail right?

12. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Funny.. I've ridden it many times and I've never gone up the trail to access it, but I believe that is the way you're "supposed" to access it :)

13. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Yes, absolutely (wink wink):?: But that access trail behind the houses sure is steep. Looks like a real leg-burner for sure - if one were to ride it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  14. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Rode this the first time on New Year's Day. It's a B to get to, but it was fun. I played it conservatively the first time down but cleaned it the 2nd time. Not as difficult as I feared it would be--on paper, it's the steepest trail in Aliso.

Yes, that rut thing on Lynx is getting out of control. I remember hearing some guy broke his leg on it last year sometime. You come up off of the bump leading up to it at speed and if you don't know what's coming I could imagine how you might wind up landing the wrong way into it.

15. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Does anyone know the "powers that be" in Aliso so we can go do some trailwork on Lynx - and maybe re-hab and block off the Strava lines on Meadow?

16. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I'm definitely up for that.
    Ranger Ed would be the one to contact to see if anything is scheduled.
    As for the Meadows issue, nothing short of barbed wire welded to concrete filled posts will stop the switchback cutting. It is a longstanding problem.

17. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    ^^ I've got some rusty old barbed wire that's guaranteed to inflict tetanus. ;)

Seriously, I'd be up for some work on Lynx or Meadows. I'll email the Ranger.

18. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Thanks, kioti - I'd be happy to help there too.
    And yeah, the cutting of switchbacks on meadows is a years-long issue and IMHO is completely stupid. Want to go downhill faster or in a more challenging way? Ride Car Wreck, Mentally Sensitive, or any number of other trails nearby. Maybe it's time for some nice punji sticks, or at least some thorny native plants added at key locations.

19. TomR1

TomR1 Member

In the past few weeks I have climbed Meadows twice. On the most recent visit I saw new cut throughs near the bottom of Meadows that I had not remembered seeing before. I'm sure bikers are using and/or creating these new lines but on these two occasions I saw a hiker and a runner both coming down using the cut throughs to avoid the switch backs. Since I was the only one climbing and not very close to these other trail users I did not get the impression that they were cutting the trail to avoid me. The rangers need to be made aware that it is not just bikers using/creating these cut throughs. The wooden fence posts are a waste of time and energy as they are continuously taken down. Not sure if you guys have been through the Water Works area out in Ladera recently but there is some new fencing lining the trail to dissuade the bmx kids from building up again down there. That type of fencing looks pretty permanent or at least it would take a lot more effort than the wooden posts do.

20. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    While I appreciate the intended humor of suggesting rusty barbed wire and punji sticks to dissuade people from using the Strava lines, I find that talk kind of frightening. Hikers and other trail users actually do sabotage trails to stop bikers in some very nasty ways including the above-mentioned. I can't believe we would even joke about sabotaging our own (misguided) brothers. Tenaciously putting up brush and rocks and other materials to block the turns, and putting them back again if they get moved will send the proper message without doing anything ugly or dangerous. That and teaching proper trail etiquette.

Count me in for trail repair if we get Ranger Ed's permission. :beer: