New "No Trespassing" Signs at the South End of Ladera Ranch

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by GrampyGear, Dec 7, 2014.

1. GrampyGear

GrampyGear New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    It would appear that the "Wildlife Sanctuary" of southern Ladera Ranch is no more; those roads have been reopened and freshly graded, and the signs are gone. We can all feel free to wantonly murder wildlife to our hearts' content.

And in a show of solidarity with we of the nature-hating bent, the grand poo-bahs have taken the one piece of singletrack-like trail in Ladera (the short ribbon just to the west side of that holding pond), and blasted it wide open to a full-sized road, with nary a thought given to erosion control. Just a clumsy bench cut across the bottom of a hill. Brilliant.

Happy riding, everyone.

2. FijiRob

FijiRob Member

Unfortunately they are now constructing a more permanent obstruction at the access point to the single tracks accessible from Oso. I'll give it a few days until a workaround is created. I may need to visit Rancho Mission Viejo's Facebook page and convey my displeasure. They didn't like it last time, so let's give them a piece of our minds!

3. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    To prevent confusion, the single tracks you refer to are not the "Waterworks" trails...I rode them yesterday and no obstructions there. In fact, someone has done a little trail maintenance at the muddy section near the top. :)

4. FijiRob

FijiRob Member

Correct, Waterworks is fine. I am referring to the single tracks that start at the top of Oso on the way to Tesoro High School.

5. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Rode the freshly graded roads yesterday... Strange thing to do in a "protected habitat." Looks like there was some work on Ladera Ridge as well - some of the berms on the outside are now vertical, and the turns are loose. Had a "moment" yesterday. But it gave me the opportunity to impress myself with my bike handling skills.

Interestingly, the "Wildlife Preserve -No trespassing" sign is still there at the junction where the west ridge meets the road that drops back down to the south end of Ladera.

And regarding the new blockage at the Oso entrance to Ladera Ridge (or exit, if you prefer).... It looks like they're just trying to keep the sand off the sidewalk. The caution tape seemed more like a warning than a blockage. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, though.