Nerdgirl?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by GeorgiaOfTheJungle, Nov 27, 2009.

1. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

From: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...834-you-know-youre-mountain-biker-when-5.html

"This one is occurring this very moment!

You're sitting in a hospital ER in agony and waiting to have your hip and shoulder XRayed (after having gone spectacularly OTB) and you're watching YouTube videos of people bike skiing and saying,"Cool! that looks fun!" and then posting about it on STR!
    ;)
    :wave:"

This not only deserves a full RR, but it's own thread. Hope you're okay. If not, healing vibes and we'll wait for the story. ;)

2. mtnkitty

mtnkitty Guest

I don't think nerdgirl is in the Dirty Girlz forum.

3. tink bell

tink bell the food fairy

purchasing mgr
    g, you're not in the dg forum!

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    What???

5. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

Nope, posted it in the "riders down" cause she's obviously a down rider :(

I didn't want the other thread to go "off topic". Plus, every downed rider deserves their own thread of healing vibes ;)

6. mtnkitty

mtnkitty Guest

Whoops! I thought it was posted in the DGz forum. I can't read straight today. :lol:

7. Gwench

Gwench New Member

Just talked to Luke. They spent 4 hours in Urgent care...nothing broke. Yeah! Get Better soon Alison.

8. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Cog in the federal justice machine
    Home Page:
    Aww, you guys are sweet! Just woke up from a Vicodin-induced coma and heard about this thread!

Yes, I went OTB today- most annoyingly down a hill in Sycamore Canyon that I've gone down dozens of times and isn't really dangerous. However, in the past couple weeks conditions have gotten kind of funky very quickly at Sycamore Canyon-- real sandy-- it almost looks like dozens of people have been riding through there and skidding their rear tires or something. It's bizarre and aggravating.

Anyway, so yeah. Took my roadie brother out to Sycamore with us. He's been riding for like 30 years, and I had my hard tail for him to ride, and I was so excited to be riding with him. We ran into some folks who were new out there and they tagged along so we could show them the trails. Was heading down this one hill, going at a nice speed, and I hit something that I can only describe as being pothole-like in nature, then some sand that wasn't there last Sunday, lost control, grabbed too much brake and went OTB, landing on my left shoulder and hip. (And also landed on a small branch, which just added insult to injury). I flew about 4 feet from my bike. Luke was behind me and saw it and apparently it was, as he put it, "spectacular". My brother was bummed because he didn't see it happen! LOL

My shoulder and hip went numb, which was kind of scary. You know, I fall a lot, and generally I just shake it off and finish the ride. This one was pretty bad, because I couldn't get up on my own. I was having a hard time walking, because pressure on my leg gave me excruciating pain in my left hip joint. To get back to the car, I ended up leaning on my bike and walking, then getting on my bike and coasting downhill as far as I could. Strangely, sitting on my bike felt a lot less painful than walking. My brother was having fun riding around as we slowly made our way back. It really cheered me up to see him having so much fun on a mountain bike. I hope he buys one and starts riding on the dirt too! :D Towards the end my brother decided that I should just sit on my bike and he'd push me! LOL So he held the hard tail with one hand and pushed me with his other while I managed to pedal some. It was pretty funny. It was like being 5 years old again when my brothers were teaching me how to ride a bike. :)

Went to urgent care and had Xrays. (Note to self: next time remember to tell the radiologist that you have your navel pierced... ;) ) ER doc said nothing was broken, which honestly, shocked me because I swear it feels like something is. Especially my shoulder-- it feels dislocated. They gave me crutches to help me walk and alleviate the pressure on my hip joint. Am supposed to go see my own MD on Monday and if it still hurts as bad as it does now, the ER doc said my MD will probably need to do a CT Scan.

So I'm seriously bummed because I had so many rides planned for this weekend, and next weekend. I can't actually dress (or undress) myself at this point, which is pretty frustrating, and I'm stuck in bed til at least Tuesday.

I should be okay for Two Trees. In fact, it so happens that I ordered my Joplin R online last night and will have it just in time for that! (I'm now convinced that had I stopped and lowered my seat before going downhill, I probably wouldn't have lost control like I did this morning).

Thanks to all of you for your concern. You guys are AWESOME!!!! xxxooo (yes, hugs n kisses :D)

9. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Dayum! Here's to hoping it's nothing more than a serious bump and grind.

Sending healing vibes your way - Enjoy the vike's and let it heal up good.

10. Blue Rat

Blue Rat F.O.G.R.

Military Analyst
    Heal quick ... glad to hear that nothing was broken.

11. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    thnx for the info...heal up!!!

12. b-man626

b-man626 New Member

microbio
    Alison!!! i hope u get heal up quickly. Dave told me the news today :(

13. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Alison - Hugs and Prayers to a speedy healing!!! Okay, you got the first (unfortunately not the last one... :0) out of the way, and you have Luke to wait on you hand and foot ;)...

14. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Glad to hear your ok, Your pretty hard on yourself though. DOnt be, everyone falls and injuries ar ejust part of the sport. Remote seatposts are alot of fun, Def nice to get the seat down and out of the way for a technical decent, specially with us DHers. The full blown xcers have a way of decending with their seats full tilt and I just dont get it myself.

Dont pick on yourself too much, it happens to everyone, there is always something you could have changed when you look back. Best thing to do is to just roll on, heal up, and ride again.

P.S. One thing I always preach..... if you think your going to fall<unless the consiquence is really really bad> always try to ride it out if you can. worst thing that can happen is you still crash. If you grab alot of brake in a hurry, or toss the bike ETC.. you already crashed. Sometimes its just let go and hope for the best.

15. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR
    Nerdgirl: Bummer, that sucks. Glad to hear nothing broke. I agree with Sycamore being a bit sandy/soft at some locations. The Canyon could sure use some rain. BTW, not sure if I spoke to you in the parking lot at Sycamore about 1 1/2 months back but were you the one that came over to my Rabbit- the white one- asking me about my Yakima roof rack? The girl asking me questions has a VW Beattle with the bike rack on the hatch. I see the VW all the time at the parking lot. I thought your old avatar had a VW Beattle with bikes on the rack??? Looks the same. Anyways, hope you heal up fast. :wave:

16. sxc70

sxc70 2bz4wrk

bike rider
    pain sucks

hope your pain goes away soon,cant move without it hurting is like having a bad hangover,it sucks, you don't even want to get up for the bath room to go peeee. hope you fell better soon..

17. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

Glad to hear nothing's broken. I hope your pain is alleviated soon! Sometimes the soft tissue takes longer to heal :(

You know you're a mountain biker when you can brag about your "spectacular" falls ;)

PS. It's always the "easy" trails that come up and bite you when you're least expecting it.

18. psyclerider

psyclerider Member

Photojournalist
    Hope you get better soon!
    I noticed your in Ontario. My buddy Mike (avid cyclist) manages an ortho group in Upland that may be close by for you. The doctors are great and handle all sorts of sports injuries.
    http://www.uplandorthopedic.com/
    Take care!

19. NipomoGuy

NipomoGuy Tink's first sponsor

flying my mental jet
    Hope ya heal faster than they think!!!!

Didja get a bruise?!

20. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Cog in the federal justice machine
    Home Page:

That was me!!! :wave: Yes, my avatar used to be a pic of my beetle w/ the bikes on it! (Changed it because the LOLcat is so *me* ;) ). I remember you. In fact, last Saturday in the parking lot we saw a white VW and Luke and I remembered the conversation and looked to see if it was you. How cool! Had no idea "that was you" ;)

BTW, keep your fingers crossed, that area is supposed to get rain and/or thunder tonight and tomorrow.

:lol: Bruise is an understatement-- contusion is a better word ;)