Need more leg power!

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by bing!, Feb 2, 2015.

1. bing!

bing! Active Member

I need more strength and power in my legs. Riding doesnt do it for me. I have an upper strength limit that I'd like to improve, even marginally.

What do you do? Thanks.

2. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Kill your TV, get off the intrawebs and go ride your bike! ;) As much as I don't want to say this, it works, ride a road bike...

3. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    If you're like me and dislike gyms (I prefer the outdoors) try running. It'll be hard and boring at first but stick w it, it can be very therapeutic as well.

Or there's always the quick go-to: SQUATS & LUNGES!!

4. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Pushing hard on the pedals takes more than legs. Back, core and even upper body play in. I would think in those terms and do a variety of exercises starting with no or low weight and go from there. Indoor climbing is a great core workout, just go easy on the finger tendons and rotator cuffs.

Mind you, I haven't touched any gym exercises in years. Just riding and climbing does it it for me, but we're all different. My wife is like you, bing, needs supplemental training.

^^^ squats and lunges, definitely!

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Yup.....gonna say it.....ride a single speed.

Leg strength will increase quickly when you have no choice to click into a bailout gear.

6. bing!

bing! Active Member

Thanks guys.

Already on a regimen of pull ups, push ups and riding. Just need to bump up the power a bit.

I've done the ss thing, but it's too hard on the knees.

I refuse to ride road in West LA.

I will consider the squats and lunges. Need to build a rack for my backyard. I'd rather not pay for a gym membership. I went for years and can't stand being in one anymore.

7. booger

booger Member

scratch my earlier comment-
    I'm off the bike for a while...took a wing dinger OTB.
    Dayum wind.

8. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    ill go with rox and agree with running. But also try to cycle through 5-6 all out interval efforts on the flats next time you go out, these all out intervals, say 30 seconds each will kill your legs and really make you stronger

9. fuse

fuse Guest

Learn to ride a unicycle! It sounds odd, but it's great core exercise and the leg motion is a lot like repeated one-leg squats. It also helps improve your balance.

10. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    Try some jump lunges holding two dumbbells! They will kick your a$$! Any wieght you want? Work your way up to 3 or 4 sets of 20. Watch out though the next day, you will know you did them! It's also good cardio, helps you to be more explosive! Lunge position, jump straight up while switching legs back to the lunge position other side. No gym needed.

JKDjEdi likes this.
  11. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

Another vote for running here, but don't forget to stretch after. Especially take care of those IT bands.

Other than that have you considered single leg drills with clipless pedals?

12. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Stairclimber...one of the old school ones with the treads that rotate through like an escalator. Find the speed that is about the same as your climbing cadence and that you can maintain. Start with 10 minutes, then bump it up to 20. After that, keep the same speed/time, but do every-other-step. It's not as stressful on the back as lunges/squats, it doesn't add stress on the knees, but it will cause your legs to get stronger and more fatigue resistant. The every-other-stair helps develop your ability to apply power closer to the top of the pedal stroke. Throw in some higher speed minutes and you'll get faster. It's how I train for West Horsetheif, Breathless Agony, etc. because I can't push an SS with my knee issues.

If it's still too easy, throw 15-20 lbs on a backpack and keep on going...but no more than 20 minutes at a time.

13. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
  14. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    You don't need a squat rack if you pick up a decent set of bumper plates and a horse mat. Hang cleaning or power cleaning into a front rack position and doing front squats is great.

You can always go the kettle bell route and do pretty much all the same exercises with more focus on your core.

Rowing has helped my cycling as well.

15. wheeler

wheeler Member

Sorry but running will help with endurance but NOT leg strength. Like Bing I have never had much "leg strength" over the years. This was even back when I was riding / running three - four times a week.

What I discovered was.....

Core Strength

Resistance training for the legs (one legged squats or whatever you like). Need to build up those glutes!

Diet

I ride longer, faster and harder now at 50 than I did at 40.

16. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    "I take my Beach Cruiser to the (Fully) loop, this place is a joke and i am still trying to figure out why people waste their time going there. this place is for scared people that don’t want to ride REAL trails."........That is totally hilarious! Hahaha.

17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors Climbing > desending

2015 Giant XTC
    For strengthening your legs on the bike, there is absolutely, without question, nothing comparable to riding up long ... and by long I mean 10-15 miles or more ... climbs at 6%-7% grade. Do Hwy 39 East Fork to Hwy 2 (roughly 17 miles) or whatever is equivalent out your way.

18. badgas

badgas I like dirt

Or it is for people like me who live in a flat trail dead zone ( cypress ) and they only have time midweek to hit the loop because it is close and offers some hills and dirt. I don't ride road, too many texting dip tards and I don't like exhaust sucking. The loop also beats the couch or going to the gym.

For weekends or days with plenty of time, I agree the loop is poor choice.

Funny how many people ride it but don't admit it.

19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors Climbing > desending

2015 Giant XTC
    I not only admit, I revel in it. I don't have to put the bike in the truck since it's 6 miles from the house and I can simply ride there, do the extra credit, the Hawks Pointe, and the Panorama Loop, ride back home, and have a 36 mile, 2,500 foot elevation gain ride. All in under 3 hours.

20. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

Get a desk job. You are overworking your legs by doing all these training. Try sitting on your butt five days a week to rest your legs and make sure the muscles are well elongated. Next time you contract them, they will give maximum power output.