My Socom Build

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Julia12, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    We're not talking about stripped heads here. We're talking about the threads getting stripped. A rounded hex tool will not cause threads to get stripped.

2. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

gentlemen, why don't we get back to the point at hand: How are we going to get Julia onto the DH course this weekend? :bang:

3. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Where can I get those?

Craftsman is junk. Luckily I can just keep exchanging them.

I've been using Bondhus at work and they are showing signs of wear.

My bad, I misunderstood.

I noticed on my 888 bolts that they were super seized in there too. Interesting.

4. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Just an FYI: The fork is available if anyone may need or want it. It's an 03 boxer. I don't have a picture right now, it's silver and dark green.

*The lowers have issues because the bushings came lose (I don't know what that means exactly).
    *I'll verify if the seals were replaced (if not) they will have to be replaced as well.

If your interested just PM me.

5. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

If I could take a look at it in good light (it was the dark parking lot at the BMX track last time I looked at it), that'd be cool. but if the path says it's shot, they'd be good people to listen to. bring it out to fontana if you've got room in the car

did you figure out what you're going to do about another fork? my offer still stand on that 66.

6. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Thanks Bryguy!

The Path didn't say it was shot. They just helped me understand the fork better. This helped me look at my options and what might be best. We are looking into other forks right now.

I'll take it with me to Fontana maybe on Sunday.

7. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

I would go boxxer over 888 any day if you go new, all of the marz's forks after 06 are hit or miss, usally miss, the boxxer is bulletproof

8. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

WELL, any updates????? :?:

9. mullarks

mullarks New Member

Investment Research
    You probably have your hands full building up the new bike, but for a future upgrade you should look into getting the new slack and low dropouts that the CNC guy from Intense made. They are absoluely awesome and well worth the cost.

10. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    probably would have resolved my issues with my socom and saved me a ton of $$$ but I love my M6:bang:

11. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    I've heard about these:-k:-k

12. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Finally an Update!

Julia spent the evening with RacinJason. We both were determined to get this going by Monday night. I left Jason a message in the morning and did not hear from him. I stopped at The Path and picked up the new shifter and other misc items on Julia's list. As I walked in at 5:30 p.m., I wondered how the heck are we going to get this done tonight. We needed to start because Julia is signed up to race at Sea Otter. We have the hotel and the race fee's are paid. The bike was still not finished. Last night was like cruch time. Jason installed the cranks (so precisely) he must of intalled and removed 8 times. The new fork is in and Jason hooked Julia up with some (HOPE) spacers. He hooked her up with so many nuts and bolts etc, I think the Bike Doc took a big hit on his part's last night.

I told Carl at The Path "this is it!" in regard to parts. Wrong! I'll be there again today buying more nut's and bolts, just minor stuff. The plan is for Jason to tune up the bike wednesday. He and Julia will test and please cross your fingers (for me) they like it (as is). Julia did grease some bolts and polished the bike as Jason worked.

I could overhear the conversation between Jason and Julia on replacement parts, after Sea Otter.#-o

At midnight we ended up at In-and-Out having dinner.

Mark (Mfoga) be happy Jason was available.:lol: Thank you for your offer to help if Jason wasn't available. Your offer for help is greatly appreciated. I'll take pictures of the SOCOM later this evening and post.

Watching Jason work and the attention he pay's to every nut and bolt is amazing. He said "Julia your bike is custom built" it really is. Built by Pato and Jason I feel good about the bike. Pato everything we said about you last night, we were kidding.:lol:

To all the guy's at The Path thanks for all the help. I walk in knowing nothing about bike parts. They always give me what I need and make great suggestions. Are always willing to replace things if I pick up the wrong part. They have made this project less frustrating. Plus hanging out in the back room with all the new bikes is therapeutic for me. I look at every single tag on the bikes.

Chongoblanco - The cranks totally make the bike cool.

Julia is thinking of breaking in the SOCOM at the Loop on thursday.

-Elvia and Julia

13. thephat

thephat Active Member

You rule!

14. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

:clap: Yeah! See you at The Otter!

15. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

Great News:bang::bang: Sounds like everything is going to work out just right. If I can swing my way to the loop thursday we can make it a Big Bike night. :drunk: All depends on work...

16. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

YEAH !!! :bang: Now you guys better watch out. Julia has a true DH bike.8-[

Reminder of parts needed. :-k
    1. IS to post adapter for a 203 rotor. Double check it at the shop Tani will know what you need.;)
    2. SS chain ring bolts.
    3. Brake hardware for the front brake lever. ( Bar Clamp )
    4. Jagwire cable stick downs for the down tube cable routing.

All little things. #-o

Yeah I had to change spindles and cups back and forth to get the perfect match and to center the chaining in the chain guide.

Julia is very lucky to have the STR Family here to help get her rolling on her first DH bike.:):clap:

We need to have a Party for the birth of your new race rig.

Pizza party at the house Wed night. With some Urban assault action in my area. We have to test it.:bang:

She has a Boxxer for sale that can be a great for with some TLC. You might have to take it to the ER but for a Overhaul but its a great way to get a DH fork for a great price. It also has a nice integrated crown triple clamp.
    PM Julia if you are interested.;)

17. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    I am so excited for Julia I could just SCREAMMMMMMM!!!!!

18. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    I am also excited for Julia. Her determination is quite inspiring. A true example of someone really wanting something. I agree she's very lucky to be part of such a great group of people. Hopefully one day she will follow the example and help someone out.

This morning I opened a letter from the Anahiem School District and Johns Hopkins University. It said something like:

The Center for Talented Youth, a world leader in gifted education, conducts national talent searches to identfy, assess, and recognize outstanding academic talent. Students who qualify through CTY's above-grade-level testing are invited to attend CTY's summer programs.

Educator's and others nominate students who exhibit outstanding academic talent to participate in the program.

STR's Julia12 will be participating in this program. Julia studies hard and this bike build became very well deserved this morning.

Thanks to everyone on STR that embraces and wishes Julia well. Pizza party sound's fitting specially with all the help we had on this build.

Thanks Everyone!

19. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    So, did i miss the pictures or are you just lagging on them? :wave:
    Copme on lets seee it built up!!!! :bang:
    By the way, i hope Julia told you i have a ride to sea otte,r but i told her to thank you for offering to drive me.
    You're gonna have a full carrr... you, julia, and stephanie said she is bring 2 Friends??
    Well, see you and julia on friday.!
    Cant wait to see it in person.

20. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    Give a big congrats to Julia for me. We're all proud of her and know that she works hard for the wheels......it's just so much fun giving her crap for it! :lol:

See you on Friday!