My first dog bite!

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by gurp13, Feb 12, 2007.

1. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    I am not sure what you are in the market for but most cutlery shops (Ontario Mills has one I think) will have it. Additionally if you just want to order it online this place Blade Shock - Security products has it and it is pretty good. They are great about shipping etc. If you have any questions about what to buy, how to use it or anything else PM me or call me at the number I PM'd you with

2. PacMan

PacMan New Member

3. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    I checked out that site, SAR. I was gonna buy the Muzzle. But, they have some kind of non-standard security certificate and my browser balked at their secure checkout. Any experience with this? The warning told me that my info could be picked up by a secondary person.

Any experience with the various sprays? Am I going to realistically be able to hit a dog in the face with it as I'm riding? I think it's way more likely I could use a pepper spray than a water bottle (which was suggested). And, I don't care if it hurts the dog because I was all about that before, but now that one has bitten me and you can't tell which ones will bite and which one don't then I say f*ck 'em. If they wanna chase me and get close enough, I'm sprayin' them and *they* can go sit in Urgent Doggie Care for two hours.

PAC Man, have you used that site before?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  4. SAR_boats

consultant
    Home Page:
    I have used their site to get things and I have never had a problem.
    The reason why I asked what your use was is because I wanted to know if you will be spraying from the saddle, or if you want dog only or dog and people or what.
    Based on what you wrote here is what I think would be a good choice:
    Mace Brand Triple Action Pepper Spray - Blade Shock
    It should be small enough to mount below your seat or under a top tube without being too conspicuous. As for hitting a dog from 10-15 feet away you can either practice with silly string while you are riding (sounds wierd but it works) or if you get into a situaton where you have to use it just "spray and pray". Use a SLIGHT sweeping motion, do not try to conserve pepper, keep spraying until you hit or youre out. Luckily dogs sense of smell is way more acute than ours so if a dog even gets a whiff of this stuff it should be enough to make him change his mind.

And it works good on people too.

5. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Ya, Galls is awesome. I have dealt with them a lot.

I would just get standard pepper spray--it works on dogs VERY well, what with their extremely sensitive sense of smell. I have sprayed 9-10 dogs in my time and every one was a success--in getting them to leave me the hell alone. You don't even necessarily have to hit them with it--the smell freaks them out.

And, before anybody says anything, I don't go around spraying dogs-- I work in Public Safety and encounter them a lot--and had to spray them to avoid getting bit. It was either pepper spray or something else a lot more permanent.

6. gurp13

High School Teacher
    I went ahead and ordered this

Galls.com Fox quick release

It might be a little small, but we'll see. I bought it because Fox had a higher heat rating (and "Fox" plus "quick release" sounded bike related). I'm gonna try it on the first dog that chases me. LOL. Maybe not. But, I am gonna use it if I have to. I'm not going to let a dog bit me without having some hot sauce, too. It hurts too much and is too dangerous to me. If it looks like I can't outrun Fido then he's getting some Del Scorcho.

Thanks, PacMan and SAR for the advice. I might have to get some silly string and try it out on the neighborhood kids or cats or something. Heck, my kids would probably love getting sprayed with that as I rode by on my bike.

7. SAR_boats

consultant
    Home Page:
    Cool. Glad you got something. How are you going to rig it to your bike?

BTW: 2% is actually pretty low concentration. SHU (scoville heat units) is actually used to measure the hotness of chili peppers. It is a subjective scale judged by a panel of 5 people and can be off by %15-%20. For some weaker pepper sprays it is used as a selling point to make them seem more pungent.
    Scoville scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As mentioned in that article most quality peppers use high performance liquid chromatography to determine effectiveness. Sometimes this is converted into SHUs because that is more recognizable to the consumer.
    The stuff you bought will work great on dogs and should work pretty good on people too. The drawback to using plain pepper is that without a direct hit to the face and mucous membranes, the effectiveness is reduced quite a bit, whereas with a pepper mixed with CS gas (liquified) just breathing the area where it was sprayed will be effective.
    Interestingly enough for plain pepper a high concentration isn't always better, since pepper has to attack the skin and mucous membranes, and isn't an irritant like CS is, a high percentage can actually prevent the pepper from getting into the pores within a timely manner, reducing the instant effect. The downside is that low percentage has a shorter effect, sometimes as short as 5-10 minutes depending on the metabolism of the attacker, which is where your pepper/cs mix comes in. The CS gas is added for instant debilitating effects which allows the high concentrate pepper more time to soak in, producing a longer acting effect. (CS usually wears off in 5 minutes or so, high concentrate pepper can be effective for up to 2 hours)
    Again, dogs are a lot more sensitive so just about anything should shut a dog down.
    Fox is a good brand and should work great. Hopefully you don't get into a situation where you have to use it.

BTW: When you spray from the saddle, try to spray behind you as that is the easiest. When spraying to the side you will have to "lead" your aim to account for the relative wind and movement of you on your bike. Spraying ahead is not advised because your range will be greatly reduced, and you will ride through your own cloud of pepper. (not good) If you must spray ahead try to get as slow as you can but still maintain positive control of the bike to minimize the negative effects of "peeing into the wind"

Sorry again for the rant but I figured I'd throw this out for anyone (not just Gurp) who chooses to carry pepper.

8. PacMan

PacMan New Member

You know, that's what I hate about msg boards--people offering advice with no info to back it up:lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the info Boats--very informitive. I had forgotten most of that stuff.

9. gurp13

High School Teacher
    Yeah, I agree, that's good info, dude. I bought that one 'cause it has the clip. I was gonna strap it right on my backpack strap. I have a little Bento box, too, that I could put it in. One thing I learned from this last encounter is that a defense will only be effective if I can get to it fast enough. I have a feeling that this won't be the only can o' pepper spray I buy, so next time I'll try out that triple action stuff. I ride past a middle school and seventh graders are almost as bad as dogs. Maybe I could spray a couple of them! (Just kidding. Don't get huffy, people.) :D I don't plan to spray people, actually. But, I guess you never know. I didn't think I'd get bit by a dog, either.

10. gurp13

High School Teacher
    *Another Update*

The bite seems to be healing okay. However, I was noticing that the area seems to feel funny. It feels swollen under the skin and the skin itself seems numb. Is this normal?

11. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    and you will ride through your own cloud of pepper. (not good)

minimize the negative effects of "peeing into the wind"

I forgot about this thread. LISTEN to the advise. A complete idiot (company driver) came to my shop one day while I was under the welding hood. Instead of calling out my name, he thought it'd be cool to see if the spray would get my attention. BAD. BAD idea. I hurt so bad I would have cried if my eyes weren't already full of tears.

Good news - he was fired the next day. :clap:

12. Shannon

Shannon ........

Make sure the area isn't red. Obviously that means an infection. Also, sometimes puncture wounds result in blood or fluid being trapped under the area (in your case where the dog bite you). It needs to be drained. That might cause the swollen feeling and the numbness. It's usually not a big deal, but still needs to be dealt with.

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I think this is a sign of rabies. Take two aspirin, and ride your bike. Should be good to go in a week.:lol:

Man, go back and see a doc, don't listen to us![-X

14. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

"You can't hardly tell at first, not till they get to the point of slobbering and staggering around. When you see a critter in that fix, you know for sure. But you want to watch for others that ain't that far along. Now, you take a bobcat or a fox. You know they'll run if you give 'em the chance. But when one don't run, or maybe makes fight at you, why, you shoot him and shoot him quick. After he's bitten you, it's too late."

15. gurp13

High School Teacher
    Well, I'll keep a close eye on it. I don't think I have rabies. But, if I do, I'm not telling any of you. I'll just go on a ride with you and start biting you on the first rest stop. :D

I don't think it's infected because I cleaned it regularly when it was still fresh. And, it's not red like that. It actually seems to be getting better. I actually had a small road ride last night. Felt great!

16. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Could of been a weirwolf too, you know?