My first dog bite!

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by gurp13, Feb 12, 2007.

1. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    Today was my day off, but the tech crew hadn't been making enough progress getting the sets done for the school musical, so they elected to come in today and work for four hours. That meant that I had to work, too. Oh well, at least I get to ride back and forth. So, after the day was done, I hopped back on the bike to go home. I'm barely out of the parking lot and going up the road on the little street that's part of the unincorporated area of Fontana when all of sudden I hear barking and see a reddish pit bull charging me. Well, I thought since I was not even warmed up and wasn't going very fast to begin with and I was also going uphill, I thought I would just slow down. My thought was that if I stopped "running away" that the dog would stop chasing. Maybe he's just playing. Well, you know, that's not what happened. That f*cker came over and bit me on the leg! He didn't clamp down and I yelled at him and he ran away. I rode about 100 feet away and inspected my leg. It didn't seem that bad but then it started to bleed so I went back to school. I'm not very smart, I guess. I assumed since I heard the owner yelling at her f*cking dog that she would have taken it inside. No, that thing charged me again. This time I yelled at it and unclipped to kick it. A passing car honked at it and it ran away this time without biting.

The county maintains a physical therapy unit at the school and they were nice enough to let me wash up and even call animal control. One of the guys drove me past the house so I could get the address and so I didn't get chased again.

So, I think I might get some bear spray for future rides. This is the first time that dog has chased me, but not the first time I've been chased. I'll have to be more aggressive about yelling at dogs that chase me. But, what I really want is a broom handle with a rubber grip on one end and a metal cap on the other. Put that on my top tube and woe unto the next dumb ass mutt that tries to get close.

dogbite1.jpg dogbite2.jpg

2. b-rad!

b-rad! Ski Bum

And thats the beauty of a frame pump!

3. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    yikes, hope you dont get some kind of nasty dog sickness! loose dogs scare me, especially on the trails when hikers figure they no longer need a leesh. i had a lab mutt run out in front of me on a streetbike once, i stuck my foot out and luckily it moved, would have broken one of our legs, haha.

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Stupid Freekin People!!!

5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Pit Bulls and bad owners = big problems.

Have have owned a couple of Pit Bulls and I do not trust them. When I had them I lived on a remote ranch in Mendocino County. I would never have one in a urban area.

6. gurp13

High School Teacher
    Well, I washed it extensively with warm water and lots of soap at the school, then put on band aids to ride home. Once home I showered and washed it again with anti-bacterial soap and then put neosporin on it and a gauze bandage. I took pictures in case I need to make a police report or whatever. If this is the extent of my trouble I may not make a case about it, although it does bother me that someone leaves their gate open with a dog that chases.

Yeah, dude, I know that not all pits are bad, per se, but something tells me that this is not an enlightened owner.

Oh, yeah, b-rad, maybe a frame pump would be a good idea. The pump I have is compact and I keep it in my pack. I'd need to get at it pretty fast.

Anyone know if dogs bite while they're running? If I'd stood up and hammered when I first saw the dog would I have gotten away?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2007
  7. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Yep, had them almost my whole life and trained them not to chase people or bikes. It can be done and it's not all that difficult. I still say stupid people. Sorry for the bites my friend. I do have a problem with dogs biting though. If one of my dogs ever bit someone I'd have it put down. I trained my dogs all that biting people was not acceptable under any circumstances and none of my dogs ever did. My son's pit did bite my other son and he is now living in a different plane of exsistance.

8. gurp13

High School Teacher
    Hey, if I add a pic of my carnage will I get thanks? Now that my post count is gone I"m a thanks whore.

9. dstepper

Home Page:
    Not much stops a Pit Bull when they are determined.

10. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Grrrrrr - not a fan of dogs. Twice I've been attacked by German shepard dogs. Got a puncture wound on my ass somewhere to show for it too!

11. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Whoa...that's the worst feeling. Only been chased once running. I've been heavily involved in animal rescue my whole life (too many bites to admit to:( ). My best tip if a pit bull ever locks his jaw on anyone is to do something similar to the Heimlich Maneuver with your fist or a kick to get him to release. It works!! Took a friend and myself a good ten minutes to get a pit to release from another dog once...wish I knew that move at the time. They're such great dogs, too. It's those pesky chows and Shar peis that give me attitude.#-o Glad you're ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2007
  12. gurp13

High School Teacher
    Aye, sharky, but I don't want the wee bastich to lock on in the first place! Can I outrun them? I've outrun other dogs but I was already moving 15mph or faster.

On that thought, there's nothing funnier than blasting past some dogs at 20+mph and they angle toward you from the front then have to switch direction and their feet go all sidways and they skitter around all the while barking their little lungs out. Now that's funny.

Oh, and I added pics in case you like the sight of blood and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2007
  13. PHAT TIRE

PHAT TIRE Riders on the solar storm

Vehicle Operations Manager
    Glocks do. :lol: Seriously, my friend had to put his boxer down when it bit a kid. I am not in favor of killing animals but no dog should bite someone unless it's protecting someone or something from attack.

14. dstepper

Home Page:
    Nice pics...I look like that after most of my rides.

15. gurp13

High School Teacher
    You should learn to ride better then, Dean. :lol:

16. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

well I'm a dog owner. I have 2 of them as a matter O fact.
    With that said I'd have that dog's owners ass for sure.
    I hope you called the police. The next time it might be some kid that gets it.

17. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

wow that sucks doood... i got chased by a rott over in aliso once... good thing i was heading downhill towards meadows on the paved road... freakin dumb ass dog owner with their dogs unleashed :protest:

18. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Hey Gurp,

Sorry to hear about the bite, man that sucks. I know the wound looks superficial and all, but aren't you suppossed to get a shot after a dog bite? That's what I've always thought, correct me if I'm wrong though.

19. PacMan

PacMan New Member

That sucks man--sorry to hear it.

I have to ride by a house on my way to my local trailhead and they have some sort of herding dog and that damn thing chases me everytime I ride past the house. I have never seen any people there to complain to.

The dumb thing is relentless and I have to stop and yell and throw rocks to get him to leave me alone. One of these days he's going to get a healthy dose of pepper spray.

I also got chased by 2 German Shepherds on that same trail once. I had to clock one of them with a large stick I picked up to get them to back off.

I still need to get some pepper spray:-k

20. dstepper

Home Page:
    Herding dogs usually don't bite, they will snap at ya but rarely latch on.

The reason I know about these dogs is I used to raise Pit Bulls, Blue Healers and Black and Tan Hound dogs. All raised and trained to hunt wild boar. Long time ago in a different life...I got lots of good ole' boy campfire stories.