Road Ride Report Mulholland Challenge

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by MTBMaven, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    Wow that's awesome you rode a tandem Ciclista, I wish I saw you hammering up Decker on that thing. That would have been impressive to see.

2. Ciclista

Ciclista SD STR

Bike Shop Owner
    Thank you Red Hawk. The only hammering we did was right up to Mulholland from PCH (after Deer Creek) once we started the Mulholland climb our legs exploded! After that Decker was just slow and full with pain!

3. Brandy

Brandy New Member

Great job out there! I did MC in 2007 and I'm not sure I'd want to descend Deer Creek on our tandem. We did the 200, 300, 400k SD brevets on our tandem this year, so the climbing we could do...but my comfort level and his on the gnarly descents doesn't mesh. I'd probably have to close my eyes. :lol:

I've done the KOM series (Breathless the last two years) and I wouldn't say that Breathless is harder, just different. MC is a lot of "shorter" steep climbs which can wear on you. Breathless is longer climbs, but the grades are more gentle so in my opinion, it's easier to get into a rhythm.

If I can offer one piece of advice, it is to keep your stops short and get in and out of Angelus Oaks ASAP...even if you feel like crap after that long climb. Very shortly after leaving Angelus Oaks, there is a nice descent and you'll get a chance to recover there before the grind up to Onyx Summit.

I'm rolling my registration for Breathless to next year (I need to mail that today) because I'm out of shape and won't be competitive, so I'd rather not arrange for childcare.

If anyone is interested in getting a sneak peak of the course, we're going out this Saturday to ride up there. This is one ride where knowing the course really helps!

4. Ciclista

Ciclista SD STR

Bike Shop Owner
    Thank you. The whole part from Little Sycamore, Yierba Buena all the way down Deer Creek to PCH was the most challenging road we’ve ever ridden, our front wheel would make this loud noises even if we were just going straight, our carbon fork was flexing a lot and would make you wonder if it could break or maybe a tire could blowout. Nothing happened and we managed to get down safe and at a good speed. Closing your eyes is not an option even if you are the stoker, the captain needs you to lean into the turns or else you may end up surfing on your cycling shoes ;). It was definitely a very challenging century on the tandem. Thank you for the advice on Breathless as we are going also. We are triying to pre ride it and maybe going this Sunday.

5. Brandy

Brandy New Member

You're welcome. There is a group from our team (Sho-Air) that will be out there on Sunday so you'll have some company. They're starting at 7:30 from Mill Creek Ranger Station.

6. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

I can't wait to do Breathless agony. Unfortantly, I wasn't able to register for it, cause it was sold out. But I emailed them about volunteering at the Breathless and doing a workers ride that would be timed and adds you as a finisher. The problem I'm having is getting a reply from Planet Ultra, they must still be cleaning up from the Mulholland Ride:lol:

7. Brandy

Brandy New Member

Are you on the waiting list? They usually let those who are registered for MC and Heartbreak in. I'm rolling my registration, so after tomorrow, there will be another spot. :lol:

8. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

No, I'm not on the list. Haven't registered for Heartbreak yet either. I did a last minute registration from MC. I could find anything on their website to add to the waiting list.