Road Ride Report Mulholland Challenge

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by MTBMaven, Apr 11, 2009.

1. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Just got home, what a day. I left the house in Pasadena about 4:30 AM. Got out to registration in no time and just in time to see the crazy double century folks taking off. Kudos to them for doing 200 miles on that course! I had plenty of time to kill before the 6:30 start time, so I crawled back in the Trooper to stay warm.

I could tell I was under dressed for the 40 degree temps at the start and was way under dressed for the mid-30 degree temps on Malibu Canyon. We took of right at 6:30 and immediately my fingers were numb with my half finger gloves. All I had was wool arm warmers, toe covers, and a vest. No full finger gloves, no jacket, no leg warmers. My fingers have never hurt so much from the cold. In the end it was really only 20-30 minutes of total discomfort. By the time we hit PCH I was feeling fine and glad I didn't have all that warm stuff to deal with. The vest was put away at the first SAG but the arm warmers stayed on all day, but spent most of the time around my wrists.

The weather was perfect today. Sunny, comfortably warm, with nice clouds, and a nice breeze. Can't ask for much better.

I felt strong most of the day. My favorite part of the day was the section along Yerba Buena. I spent a good bit of time all over the western part of the Santa Monicas in grad school doing vegetation sampling. It was great to be out there riding the same roads we traveled. The descents on most of the roads kind of sucked because the road quality was so bad. The climb up Corinth was not too bad as I still had legs at that point.

The reroute took us up Mulholland from PCH to Decker. Up until about mid-way up Mulholland I felt great. Mulholland slowly sucked the life out of me. By the time I got to the SAG at the top of Decker I was starting to loose it. Hearing we still had to climb Decker was totally demoralizing. The descent down Encenal was fast and fun. But the climb up Decker killed me. I was in 34x27 and doggin' it. Even had to stop quickly at one point.

I got a nice break at Decker and enjoyed a Snickers. Man those things really do satisfy you. We rolled out of Decker and started making our way back. There were lot of rolling hills but got to admit it wasn't too bad. The Rock Store Grade came up much quicker than I expected. That was the best descent all day for me. The ride from there on was pretty quick and I felt stronger the closer we got to the finish.

Stats for the day:
    Total Time: 9:16:12
    Moving Time: 7:57:48
    Distance 101.81 miles
    Elevation Gain: wait for it....12,442 feet
    Average Heart Rate: 136 bpm Max: 184 bpm
    Average Grade: 5.2%
    Average Moving Speed: 12.8 mph
    Total Ascent Distance: 34.93 miles

Finally got to meet Red Hawk. Also met stacy, and mauric6943. Met them all at the end of the ride. Although I did overhear Mauric say he wished he was mountain biking at the Decker SAG, but didn't know it was him yet. By that point in the day I felt the same way.

I took a bunch of pictures while riding. I wil post them soon.

2. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Great report Brian. I brought my camera too but was to shot to shoot! So the route went UP Mulholland?? So it was down YB, up Mulholland, down Encinal and back up Decker?
    Man! I love Mulholland up and down from PCH. It's great ride!! Glad you finished! :bang:

3. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Photos from today's ride. Keep in mind all photos were taken while riding so they are all not that crisp.

Looking pretty happy. Not bad for low 40 degrees and nothing on but a bunch of lycra.
    [​IMG]

Heading south down PCH in the morning
    [​IMG]

Heading up Old Topanga Canyon
    [​IMG]

I think this was the shite eating grin on my face Mike was talking about while I eat some food at the Straus Ranch SAG.
    [​IMG]

Krisztian grinding out the Rock Store Grade
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Climb up Yerba Buena
    [​IMG]

Gate to some koo koo estate on Corinth I think
    [​IMG]

Heading south on PCH again but in the afternoon this time. Just south of Deer Creek heading to the Mulholland climb. This photo shows why real estate is $400+/sq ft.
    [​IMG]

Do I look like death warmed over or what? This is after the climb up Decker.
    [​IMG]

4. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

*Climbing* Decker??!?!

I hated driving that road!

Good job!

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Great job, Brian. I strangely am feeling somewhat guilty not going out there with you. Wait a sec, okay, the guilts gone. Funny, our ride times were only 4 minutes apart. I did it in 8:01. I was told the climbing was 10K. I do agree though it felt like more and I attributed that to the heat. Glad your riding day was a lot cooler then last years. Still I think Breathless Agony was a much more difficult ride.

6. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Apparently I'm an artist of some description
    That looks like a great ride, I am SO doing this next year!

Good job, thanks for the report :)

7. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    That was a great ride, but I have to admit my right calve pulled a cramp at 40 miles in and stayed with me all day. I was glad to finish though, it was a 9 hour day for me. It was nice to have to finally meet Brian, I think I did met mauric6943 and Stacy, I think that was you guys sitting on the curb when Brian introduced me to you? I was so out of it, all I was thinking about was a shower and a pillow to fall onto.

Still what a great ride with breathtaking views of the ocean, put a smile on my face.

PS, I was told Decker was 20% grade at the bottom? My garmine said only 15% did it hike for a short moment?

8. Byron B

Byron B Born to Ride

Business Finance
    next year I'm in..

9. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
  10. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Ok, my new goal is to get a shot of me doing both the century ride and a stupid sport bike ride on rock store photos :)

Ideally, both of those would include a beer :D

11. stacy

stacy help I've fallen . . .

teacher
    Nice pics Brian. I didn't even take a camera, you know the extra weight and all . . .

My ride report: It was hard. That pretty much covers it. The fun part was when it was done. Mike says that Breathless wll be harder. That's a completely depressing thought. I will hope that when it gets here I will be completely well, maybe this one was extra hard cuz I was sick all week. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.) It was good to see some of you guys out there. I remember Richard passing me while I was suffering on the first half mile of Decker and then I saw Brian and Red Hawk at the end.

I miss my mtn bike. Today I rode my SS up and down the street in front of my house trying to help my niece who was learning to ride a new bike. A much easier day for sure!

Thanks to Maurice for getting me through the end when I had no more energy and letting me draft for the last 18 miles, and driving us home while I slept in the car. Sorry that you are sick now too.

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Wow, looking at the pix I see so many friends and others I know and recognize.

13. Bergsteiger

Bergsteiger Mr. Krisztian

Master Business Jet Service Center Coordinator
    I waited for this ride for a year, after my failed attempt in 08. I wanted revenge on Decker and I got it this time.
    Cranked up it nonstop out of the saddle, I don't know where my strength came from, but it was awesome.
    Last year was so hot and the lack of water up Decker just crushed me and could not finish the job.
    It was much more enjoyable this time, it helped to have my cycling buddy( The Maven) with me.
    Next stop-Traverse.:wave:

14. mauric6943

mauric6943 Member

Unemployed
    I'll be with you in spirit and I know you'll make it!!!

15. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I'm up for a Mulholland Challenge do-over some time in early June!! Anyone in??

16. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

I'm in if my fat ass is less fat :)

Any weekend apart from the 6th/7th works for me :)

17. pshloss

pshloss New Member

I did this ride, too. Finished in 8:20 total time, which was pretty good for me. Decker was a b----! But I actually enjoyed seeing some of the faster riders suffer on that one, too. Kind of an equalizer. I felt good to the end. Sat and ate a sandwich at the finish. When I got up to leave, then I got a cramp. Better to happen after than during, though. Glad you took those pics. It was such a glorious day, had to remind myself to soak it in along the way. That descent down Deer Creek was really intense and beautiful. My breaks were really squeaking, which I think freaked out a couple people I passed.

18. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

By the time I got to Decker I had a nasty cramp, the only thing I could think of was how long Decker was. Well I lie, I was a robot at that point. I just tried to find the strength to turn the pedel, where it came from is still a strange mystery to me. My calve blew up long before that hill, I guess I the fact I was mentally there was the only driving force I had when my body failed me.

19. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

20. Ciclista

Ciclista SD STR

Bike Shop Owner
    This ride was just awesome! Mulholland was super hard century but very rewarding, and the views just amazing. Deer Creek was definitely a very technical descent on our tandem, but we still really enjoyed it. It was very cool to see the determination of everybody on this ride. Congratulations to all that finished, it was a real challenge.