MTB Rider Dies in Palm Springs Heat - Johnnie Lee Memorial Ride 6/2/12 (merged)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oldskool, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piranha

Piranha Member

The memorial ride is now cross posted on the Over The Bars Mountain Bike Club ride calendar

R.I.P. Mr. Lee

2. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

Sorry for your loss and the loss to the whole SoCal Community! Thoughts and prayers to friends and family!

3. Skid Row

Skid Row Member

Hello All,

Quick update on the Memorial ride for Johnny Lee.

With suggestion and input from fellow friends and STR'ers, here is how the ride will flow....

- The ride will be on Saturday June 2nd. Hopefully this is far out enough that we can get everyone to mark on their calendars.
    - The ride will be held at the Fullerton Loop, one of Johnny's favorite ride to bring newbies. We will start and finish at the Court house.
    - There will not be an admission to ride. Each person's presence at the ride means so much to the family. Johnny's family is so thankful for all the generosity, prayer, and support thru STR and the donation website.
    - The ride start at 9am with a quick prayer, and roll out at 9:10am. The first section of the ride will be in silence for remembrance, with the rest of the ride in casual pace and enjoying each other's company.
    - There will be no official wrap up at the end of the ride, as people may have other commitments throughout the day. But please hang out and enjoy each other's company as your time permits.

That is the basic outline. Things we are trying to incorporate...

- We are trying to get some sponsorship from local bike shops so that we may be able to do a raffle, mid ride gatorade station, and a hotdog cookout at the courthouse.

- I will post this ride on the STR calendar, and will post updates as the ride nears.

Johnny's Funeral will be this Friday, but this ride will allow us to say goodbye to him in our own way.. as individuals and as a collective MTB group. I know when we ride on June 2nd, Johnny will be with all of us in spirit.

Thank you,

Jason

4. Skid Row

Skid Row Member

Hi,

Thank you for the cross post ! Please note that the ride will be on June 2nd, and NOT on May 26th.

Jason

5. socalMX

socalMX Member

I did not know Johnny but would be happy to make the ride! Reading all the great things about him is a reminder of the great people we have in this sport! Its sad to leave behind your loved ones, especially young children but like the famous saying goes, its not a tragedy to die doing something you love!!! God speed mountain biking brother!!!

6. Skid Row

Skid Row Member

Hello All,

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update. I stopped by and saw Janice and the family after work yesterday. They are so thankful and overwhelmed by the support and prayers from STR and the Donation website. The whole family is so touched by the kindness of everyone, and the planned memorial ride on June 2nd. It has definately been a source of comfort for them at this time of need. Thank you all so much.

Today is Johnny's funeral service. It will be an emotional day for everyone.

On a side note, tomorrow will be the Ride for Rwanda. I signed up for this a while ago, and plan to go through with the ride. I know that many of you will be out there too, and I don't believe I have met everyone on the thread. I hope I get to meet you and thank you in person. Most important, I hope that everyone has a safe ride and look out for one another.

www.johnnyleefund.bbnow.org

Thank you,

Jason

7. Zachariah

Zachariah New Member

I did the Palm Canyon Epic in early January and it was already 98 deg, by noon! Despite the fact I brought almost 4L of water...I still cramped badly, even after popping six Sport Beans, a PBJ sandwich and a Clif Bar, just after the Omscott Dry Wash Death March. I intended to do Hahn's Buena Vista-to-Garstin - but by then both my legs were completely GONE. I had to do the Dunn Rd bailout....which basically prevented me from suffering the very same fate as Johnny Lee. RIP brother!!!

8. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    Frightening. I did a ride a few years ago with my good buddy Binh. We were not riding a big epic, but I was trying to chase him, it was warm and I was getting hammered. I felt funny and and couldn't catch my breath. I remeber looking at Binh and calling it quits. I sat down under a little bush to get out of the heat. Binh parked it too and just hung with me. That day always left a very unsettling feeling in me about the heat and where I was physically that day. Reviewing all these posts and learning of Johnny's fate make me think I may have been closer to a bad situation than I realized. Seems like it happens so quick. At one moment you are just pushing hard, thats what we do right? How many times have you been fighting your desire to stop pedaling, but the achievement is what is so rewarding. Heart slamming in your chest, muscles burning, and then sweet relief you are done and telling stories. I'm so sorry for him and his family. I always keep him in mind.

BTW...if I do die on the trail, I hope all my friends post up pictures and tell the full story. If its going to be my last ride, let it be one hell of a ride report! Go Johnny Lee...ripping single track in the great beyond!!

9. kcm

kcm New Member

Starting a new thread for mtb dies memorial ride on 6/2 at fullerton loop. thanks for all the prayers, comments, and sharing. I will post a long summary of Johnny's mtb passion and some details of the epic palm canyon ride on the new thread. Again thank you helping to remember a man of Christ who loved dowhill single tracks. car wreck!

10. kcm

kcm New Member

Johnny Lee memorial on 6/2, saturday 9am at Fullerton loop courthouse.

On Saturday, June 2nd, 9am at the courthouse on Fullerton loop. This will be a ride to remember Johnny Lee who passed away riding the Palm Canyon Epic. Informal, fun ride with water/gatorade station at the 1/2 way point and bbq at the parking lot after the ride. Let's all meet to share the love of MTB and to remember a fellow mtb'er who took many new riders to the Loop.

More information to follow!

KCM

11. kcm

kcm New Member

Hello All,

Quick update on the Memorial ride for Johnny Lee.

With suggestion and input from fellow friends and STR'ers, here is how the ride will flow....

- The ride will be on Saturday June 2nd. Hopefully this is far out enough that we can get everyone to mark on their calendars.
    - The ride will be held at the Fullerton Loop, one of Johnny's favorite ride to bring newbies. We will start and finish at the Court house.
    - There will not be an admission to ride. Each person's presence at the ride means so much to the family. Johnny's family is so thankful for all the generosity, prayer, and support thru STR and the donation website.
    - The ride start at 9am with a quick prayer, and roll out at 9:10am. The first section of the ride will be in silence for remembrance, with the rest of the ride in casual pace and enjoying each other's company.
    - There will be no official wrap up at the end of the ride, as people may have other commitments throughout the day. But please hang out and enjoy each other's company as your time permits.

That is the basic outline. Things we are trying to incorporate...

- We are trying to get some sponsorship from local bike shops so that we may be able to do a raffle, mid ride gatorade station, and a hotdog cookout at the courthouse.

- I will post this ride on the STR calendar, and will post updates as the ride nears.

Johnny's Funeral will be this Friday, but this ride will allow us to say goodbye to him in our own way.. as individuals and as a collective MTB group. I know when we ride on June 2nd, Johnny will be with all of us in spirit.

Thank you,

Jason

12. kcm

kcm New Member

We all had those days.

Heat exhaustion leads to heat stroke which leads to death. Can happen very quickly. Heat stroke has nothing to do with how fit you are. It has to do with your body's thermostat, the ability of your body to control core body temperature.

Early symptoms to look out for:
    1. you stop sweating
    2. headache, dehydration (you stop peeing)
    3. speech impairment. (you can't talk ...slurred speech)
    4. motor skills impairment. ( you keep falling on the flat section for no reason)
    5. mental skills impairment. (you stop caring about the thorns stuck to your butt)

If you start suffering any of these symptons, just stop and cool down. If you can't cool down, just stop. Your body is sending all the blood away from your core, to your skin, trying to cool off. That's making all the oxygen go away from your brain, and later to your heart.

We all suffered from some forms of heat exhaustion. But we treat it by drinking water or by being done with our ride. Untreated heat exhaustion leads to heat stroke, meaning unconsciouness and eventual death.

Be safe.

KCM

13. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

If I'm in town I'll be there.

14. socalMX

socalMX Member

I did not know Johnny, is everyone welcome???

15. Huffy

Huffy New Member

Yes, absolutely!!!

Looking forward to making some new friends as well as riding with some of Johnny's friends that I haven't seen in awhile. I think that is how Johnny would have wanted it. I'm going to be rocking my Fullerton Bikes jersey so look out for me :wave:

16. Zippy The Pinhead

Zippy The Pinhead Slacker

Slacker
    My youngest son is in the same class with Caleb Lee.

I read that Johnny Lee had a background in finance. I hope he had a decent amount of life insurance. Praying for his family...

17. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

I'm in for sure Great guy and I hope we get a lot of str family members out on the ride

18. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

dude your rocking no matter what you wear!

19. Skid Row

Skid Row Member

Everyone is welcome to join the ride ! This is the route that Johnny used to introduce MTB to so many people. He would have wanted everyone to experience the joy of Mountain Biking.

I will join Huffy and wear my Fullerton Bike Jersey that day and hope I look as good as he does !

20. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.