MTB Rider Dies in Palm Springs Heat - Johnnie Lee Memorial Ride 6/2/12 (merged)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oldskool, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldskool

Oldskool Old School MX'r

Gen. Const. - Sr. Project Mgr.
    Just heard this on the news and looked it up on line, not a whole lot of info, but is this anyone of our own from STR? Never heard of Araby Cove.

L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »
    Mountain biker dies in Palm Springs heat April 21, 2012 |

A cyclist died in triple-digit heat while riding on a mountain bike trail in Palm Springs on Saturday afternoon, authorities said.
    The cyclist was riding in the hills above the Araby Cove neighborhood when he became dehydrated and collapsed, police and fire authorities said. A paramedic with the Palm Springs Fire Department flew by helicopter to treat the downed cyclist and pronounced him dead on the trail.
    Police are continuing an investigation but do not suspect foul play.
    The temperature reached 105 degrees Saturday.
    -- Kenneth R. Weiss

2. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

Sad news...Araby Cove is a small private community below the Goat Trails and slightly west of the Vons parking lot. Basically its the area alot of us are familiar with because you ride through those trails when finishing up the Palm Canyon epic after descending Wilhorse Ridge/Garstin.

The cyclists in the story could have ridden up to the Goat trails from the Vons or its even possible they were finishin up the Palm Canyon epic.

3. Happy_Gilmore

Happy_Gilmore Blood Donor - Give Life

big temperature swing from last weekends 30 degree's at the top with 3" of snow and 60 degree's at the bottom. still very sad news.

4. Neil

Neil Guest

It is a real reminder to carry plenty of water and even more important keep drinking it. We were up in hurkey yesterday and it was hot there, I would not of ridden in palm springs yesterday. It is a sad story.

5. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    I head the news today too, the name the reporter gave was Johnny Lee, who is definitely part of O.C. mountain bike community, but I'm not 100% sure if it's the same person. Very sad news either way, my thoughts and prays are with his family.

6. slapshotz

slapshotz Member

Johnny was definitely a part of the mountain biking community here. He had a heart of gold and would often take new riders to fullerton loop to bring them into the mtb fold. My heart is breaking for his wife and 2 young kids. If you're the praying type, please lift up a prayer for the family he left behind. I'm signing off and spending some time with my two boys. Life is short and precious. Johnny, rest in peace my friend.

7. Sailor Ripley

Sailor Ripley New Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    Very sorry to hear this... my heart goes out to his family and friends.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Exactly....was out there on that trail in mid Feb and it was warm then.

9. SOCMTBR

SOCMTBR Member

Home Page:
    So sad that this thing happened...my thought and prayers to him and the family he left behind.

10. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Very sad. And very sobering--I had no idea dehydration could kill someone so quickly like that. I knew dehydration could kill and it was very important and over one hundred degrees is serious heat but that's scary. I ran out of water once on a long ride on a hot day and was the past the "point of no return" so i had to keep pressing on to get back home. Very scary. I will be much more careful going forward. Rest in Peace Johnny.

11. bikerider

bikerider New Member

Sorry to hear this. I rode up Harding to Santiago peak yesterday and down Holy Jim. As I was riding back home, I had no energy, headaches and nausea. Turns out a mild case of heat exhaustion. Make sure you know what the symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke are so you can try and recognize and prevent it before you get to the point of no return. Heart goes out to his family.

12. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    I went riding today in over 100 degree heat and it is no joke, Carry lots of fluids and if you can get water to refill your supply make sure you do it. I feel bad for this family and my prayers go out to them.

13. dbboy

dbboy New Member

Yes, the person is Johnny Lee and he was a great guy with a beautiful family and had such a passion for riding. I'm still in shock....I was invited to go on that ride but was unable to....it was his first time and he was so excited....he posted a pic on fb right before they began, the excitement of new dirt, a new experience....it's so tragic and it hurts.....rest in peace Johnny....

14. osmarandsara

heat

Do you know what route they were riding?

15. superwow

superwow New Member

Indeed. Johnny was very involved and was always inviting both experienced & newbies on his rides. He could've been found at Chino Hills either taken newbies around, or trying to set a personal best going up Gilman. :) Good guy. He was an experienced and very capable rider. What happened was unexplainable to me. Our kids go to the same elementary school. I'll be so broken when I see them, while dropping off my own kids. I know Johnny, though, and that he was a humble guy that acknowledged that God was his Creator & Savior. I'm sad, but also at peace that Johnny is in the presence of God.

16. Huffy

Huffy New Member

Johnny was a personal friend and I am shocked this happened. Yes, indeed he was a very capable rider - he loved the challenge of long climbs and definitely loved technical decents.

I was one of the newbies that Johnny took out to Fullerton, Santiago Oaks, and Carbon Canyon several years ago. I can still hear him coaching me from behind, "lean back, lean back..." He was an ambassador to mtb within his circle of friends and church family. He would always organize group rides and invite others to join. Johnny was passionate about his family, church and riding.

I will miss you my brother. Yes, the only peace that I have about your passing Johnny is knowing that you are with God right now.

17. dbboy

dbboy New Member

They were doing the palm canyon epic route. How close were they to the end?

18. ottoman

ottoman New Member

Bummer. Please post news of funeral.

19. osmarandsara

They were only 3 miles away from the Vons. According to the GPS coordinates listed on the Riverside Sheriff's press release, they had succesfully reached the summit of the last big climb ( Wildhorse/Garstin ridge) and were descending on it's north side at 1,300 feet elevation just below the switchbacks. Once you come down the switchbacks, there's a 4-way intersection and they went right (the correct way). The section of trail they were on was a short gradual climb about 1/4 mile long. They had the option of riding the fire-road all the way back down or the single-track Goat Trails which also lead down to the shopping center.

20. EL Jim

EL Jim New Member

Fireman
    Perhaps an STR memorial/fund raiser ride would be in order.............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.