Ride Report MTB Century.....My Way

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, Jun 30, 2014.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

So while training for VQ in Feb. I set out for a big training ride. Ended up doing 84 miles that day.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/showthread.php?70049-Another-Long-Day-in-the-Saddle

Since then, I have had the idea of going out and shooting for a MTB Century. I learned from my earlier training ride that if I was gonna give this a go, I was gonna have to wait for longer days. Thought the Summer Solstice would be a good time to do it.....however, prior commitments threw a wrench in those plans.

So late last week, I chose Saturday as the day.

This time I wouldn't even bother sending this out to my normal riding group.....I knew I was in for a solo adventure.

The Plan: Pre-dawn roll out to avoid the heat...and I knew it was gonna be a long day on the bike.

The ride: SC Highball SS

[​IMG]

Rolled out of the garage in the dark...in short sleeves....yes, at 4:15am it was quite warm and humid...but that would change. I am also surprised by how light it is outside before sunrise these days. Hop on the Santiago Creek Bike Path and head over towards Oaks and skirt my around the permiter of the park. By the time I reached the top of the Dam Hill, you could already see the sunrise coming. Popped out on Jamboree and headed up to Chapman to start the paved section of the ride to Blackstar. By the time I reached the top of the Toll Road Climb, you could look down and see that the canyons were socked in with low clouds. The drop down to Irvine Lake was cold.....I planned ahead and brought arm warmers with me....which would be a good thing. It's barely after 5:15am and there are lots of cars going through the canyon.

[​IMG]

Reached the Sliverado Canyon turnoff, and actually had to wait for several cars to go by before I could make the turn. Down Blackstar Canyon Rd, there were no cars by the Tree Lot, and only 1 car down by the gate. Pass on through and begin the 1st of many climbs today. Today I chose not to wear my ear bud/music. It is so quiet and peaceful out there at that time. Anyway about halfway to Art's place ran across the hikers from the only car in the lot....very friendly, and I thought I got a really early start. The rest of the way to Beek's....was just me and my riding buddy:

[​IMG]

Fun guy to ride with.....sometimes he was faster, sometimes slower, but most of the time rode next to me. :lol:

Stopped at the top of Hidden Ranch for a quick breather and to take in the tranquility....and joined by a deer just off the trail. On the way up it was cool in the shade...I knew later in the day I was gonna be wishing for those temps. Made it up to Beek's in not a fast time....then again, today was about the mileage...not the times. At this point I was still feeling pretty good.....about 22 miles in.

[​IMG]

Above the clouds it was nice and warm. The next part of the ride is the part I wasn't looking forward to. I was a little apprehensive that adding in the climb back up Skyline and 2000' of accent might be a mistake later in the day. It was still only about 7:00am when I began to drop down Skyline....I was surprised by how many hikers/walkers were already out....an way up the trail....damn they start early. Took it easy on the way down....the road is getting pretty loose in a lot of the turns. Passed some other riders that were heading up on my way down. Finally reached the gate and my turn around point. Ditched the armwarmers as it was now sunny and comfortable. Ate a quick snack and started the slog back up.

[​IMG]

Everyone was really friendly out there this morning. About 1/2 up...I catch 2 of the riders I passed on my way down. They ask about my ride and when I explain the route....their jaws dropped, and one made a comment about putting his tampon back in and not complaining about being tired...and that was before he realized I was on the SS. Continued on up to Sierra Peak....if you have never been out there, it is a nice ride to add on to B* or Skyline. At this point I am kinda happy, the 2 big climbs of the day are done.

[​IMG]

However it was a little short lived....I realized that I was only about 35 miles/5200' in.....so only 1/3 the way done. Woohoo...DH time. Really enjoy the descent down Coal Canyon....yet it seems to change each time....more ruts/loose and rocky....and sand drifts....but solitary as well. Would pass again through the low clouds and fog on the way down. Under the 91 FWY and on to SART up to Green River Golf Course. Still overcast and cool, it was looking like I would score on the weather when I headed into Chino Hills SP.

[​IMG]

Cross the railroad tracks and start my climb.

[​IMG]

About 3 mins into the climb up Scully Ridge the clouds clear out and the temps begin to raise. I don't know why I continue to subject myself to the abuse of this climb. It's very difficult, very steep and I cannot clean it on the SS. About 2/3's the way up the road became very overgrown. This back part of the park doesn't seem to get much use....thus it seems as though it gets neglected. This would play into my decision later. Drop down Brush Canyon Trail to Lower Aliso Rd. Again the trail/road was very overgrown. Ran across a bunch of ranchers on horses wrangling up cows. Reached the bottom of Bane Ridge...my Oasis and my 1st opportunity to refill my fluids....which would have been better if it weren't for the beehive next to the water fountain. This is also when I notice all the goat heads in my tires. No problem with the front tire...1st ride on a new tire, so I knew the Stan's was fresh. The rear on the other hand, had me a bit worried. Based on how dry the old front was when I removed it, I was afraid it would go flat. Turns out it would hold....but would be in the back of my mind the rest of the day.

[​IMG]

Continue up Lower Aliso Rd to Telegraph Rd.....and head up the the 3 B's.....by this time I am getting cooked....there is absolutely no breeze blowing on that ridge. Finally get to the top and drop down to 4 Corners. Woohoo....50 miles/6400' down.......Ughhhh......still 50 to go. Up Bovinian Delight I head, still feeling pretty good. Pass a few other riders...goes by pretty quick. Down Southridge is always fun. Fast descents, nice climbs, and usually a breeze. Down Ditmer, and make the right hand turn to start back up Telegraph. Now it is just silly hot in the sun. No breeze, no shade....at least for the first few miles. Once under the tree canopy, it was much nicer. Took a bit of a longer break at 4 Corners this time.

Finally headed up Raptor for some more singletrack fun. Down Faultline....again getting soft and loose in the turns. This is the first time I would make a route change. I wanted to head up Lower Aliso to Sidewinder and up to Bane Ridge....but with the goat heads and my spotty Stan's, I skipped that. Flew down Lower Aliso, stopping at the Camping Headquarters to refill more fluids. Continued down Lower Aliso...bypassing the singletracks, again due to overgrown conditions. The 2nd route change was at the bottom of Brush Canyon. I was suppose to climb back up Brush Canyon and descend Scully Ridge. Bypassed this option because of how overgrown it was. Hopped on the Alluvian Trail at the end of the canyon before reaching the RR tracks at Green River GC. Riding the dirt road next to the tracks is much better than back tracking over to SART. No trains today.

At Brush Canyon Park, it is back on the street for a few miles. This is the monotonous section of road up Santa Ana Canyon Rd, then up Weir Canyon Rd....but I have not found a better route option for this section yet. Stop at Circle K for a couple of snacks and fluid refill. At this point I call my wife to let her know where I am....she was planning on meeting me once I returned to Oaks. At this point my Garmin warns me the battery is low. No problem, I planned ahead and brought a backup with me. Hop on the horse trails at the corner of Serrano Rd. It is a really neat section of trail....old boardwalk and tunnel...but again overgrown. One last climb and I can drop back into Weir Canyon Trail.

Still felt like I was getting baked out there....2:00 in the afternoon and no shade. Make the right hand turn onto the trail and continue the counter/clockwise loop around Weir Canyon Trail. At Cliffhanger, hooked a left and dropped down. This trail has deteriated so much in the last few weeks. Again right turn at the bottom and start the climb out......up Anaheim Hills Rd. Thought for about 2 seconds about going up Deer, but thought it would take too long and knew my wife was waiting for me up by Chutes. Finally reached Barham Ridge and headed down. Stopped at Chutes to meet my wife....76 miles/10000'. Chose to head down Chutes Trail...was a bit tired at this point, and didn't want to push my luck. Weaved around Roadrunner Loop, then over to Horseshoe Loop, before going over to Peter's Canyon.

I don't ride Peter's Canyon because the hikers are unfriendly and honestly the ride is short and easy. Today the hikers were the same...but the trail seemed quite a bit more difficult. Climbing out of Bunny Gulch had me worried, but was able to clean it. My wife had to drag me up to East Ridge, but then the climbs weren't so bad. Started to catch my second wind heading back up the canyon. At one point I dropped my wife. After more unfriendly hikers we exited and headed back over to Oaks. Quick ride through the Willows, then out the Mabury Ranch exit. Finally started to hit my wall while on the Sanitago Creek Bike Path...2 miles from home.

Finally rolled into the garage. Mission accomplished.

[​IMG]

Final stats when I uploaded the ride:

101.6 miles
    12468' of Accent
    10:45 ride time
    13:12 overall time

http://www.strava.com/activities/159302913

I thought it would hurt a lot more than it did. Thought there would be a lot more suffering. Felt good all day. Time went by really quick. Didn't feel like I was out there as long as I was, and the Garmin lasted the whole day. :clap:

Denifately an excellent day on the bike.

2. Mike Smith

Mike Smith New Member

Looking
    thumbs UP!

3. Roostthrower

Roostthrower Member

Pencil Pusher
    my hero!

great story!

4. socal_rider

socal_rider Member

Great ride and write up. A 100 mi/10,000ft ride is on my bucket list. Not sure if I'll ever really do it.

5. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Nice work Trail Boss!

6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    STUPENDOUS J - too bad you can't make stupid out of that word bc that'd be fitting too ... LOL

Bravo my friend!!!

7. strobe

strobe resident noob

How do you may get all your calories for a ride like this? And hydrate? Only those two bottles?

You are a beast? Awesome ride and better story. Thnx.

8. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

So VQ 2015 are you gonna do the route, and then turn around and do it backwards? You're crazy dude. Thanks for sharing, and well done!

9. mtnbikej

Actually had 3 24oz.....stuffed one in my jersey pocket.

Most of the day ran 1.25 scoops of Skratch Labs in 2 bottles and water in the 3rd. Luckily it was cool enough in the morning that I was able to make the first 45 mile stretch on just the 3 bottles, before I got to the water fountain at Bane Canyon. I ended up taking 2 extra servings of Skratch Labs in a baggy to add in later.

As for food.....Hammer Perpetum Solids, Clif Bloks, Hammer Gel, sliced apple and half a PB sandwhich.....plus some honey roasted nuts @ Circle K and a Payday bar.

10. evdog

evdog Member

You are crazy for doing a ride like that this time of year! I get the longer days but the heat must have been pretty brutal. I'd much prefer longer rides in spring/fall with part of it in the dark. Nice job connecting all that stuff together!

11. XcShane

XcShane Member

Ditto. You da man Jason! Thx for sharing.

12. mtnbikej

Nope.....that one is reserved for one man only....the man, the myth, Calvin.

13. tortoise

tortoise Member

Nice Report, Thanks for the inspiration!

14. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Way to set a BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) and then set out to try it. Then beat it. The essence of this sport is challenging the perception of what is possible, and to push against those limits.

Congratulations.

15. auger

auger Member

Retired from fixing helicopters
    Jay killer ride! You said you were prepared for your Garmin to run low, what are using or doing when it gets low?

16. mtnbikej

I had a 2nd Garmin with me.

17. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    Super ride. The heat, the distance, the elevation, and on a single speed. Wow.

18. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Amazing achievement. Bravo!

19. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Whaaaaaat?? Literally inconceivable to me. Bravo and nice RR. I am exhausted for three days after a "massive" 3400' day, I cannot conceive of being able to do what you did.

20. Giddy

Giddy Member

Heavy Equipment Mechanic
    That is what you call a EPIC ride awesome job on the miles on a MTB ride!!
    images.jpeg