Mountain Lion Encounter Whiting Ranch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbfan, Sep 20, 2016.

1. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

Just on the news today. Mountainbiker on Serrano Cow Trail in Whiting came face to face with a mountain lion. It seems that the lion jumped out of a tree onto the trail about 10ft away from the moountainbiker and started walking toward him. The biker used his bike as a shield, threw rocks and yelled. The lion finally stopped approaching but did not back off. The biker started walking backwards until he felt safe enough to turn around and start riding away. He came across hikers who also saw the mountain lion. THis is the second time this happened in this area within weeks. Pretty scary.

2. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

Those trees on Serrano Cow Trail are perfect for mountain lions. They love to sit in trees and drop down on their prey (deer, coyotes). I'm always scanning the trees when I go through there. Sounds like the cat wasn't really interested in eating the dude. I imagine if it was it would have dropped onto him, not in front of him.

3. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    I heard it was a good size cat. 3mtbikers were on their way out and stopped some runners near the entrance. The cat was in an attack posture. Someone needs to invent a shock suit. #needmoregrouprides

tortoise and herzalot like this.
  4. xtremeMTB

xtremeMTB Member

ridinrox, herzalot and trailninja like this.